The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 AM

Default First Guitar - Looking at Epiphone EM-10

I found a guitar that I'm considering for my first. I do not know how to play at this point, but now's the time.

I found a listing online for an Epiphone EM-10.

The guitar, from the pictures, looks to be in immaculate shape. No belt buckle rash, pick guard looks like it's never been touched and I can't see anything that would scream don't buy it.

I have done some research on the model and this is where I get REALLY confused.

According to the Unofficial Epiphone Wiki, this is the description given for materials used and a bit of history on the model:

Quote:
EM-10

1992-1993
Made in Bozeman, Montana
Only 51 made
Square shoulder dreadnought body style
Solid spruce top
Mahogany back & sides
Multi-ply 2-ring rosette
5-ply body binding
3-piece mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
Rosewood veneered headstock with gold "Epiphone" logo
Rosewood bridge with uncompensated saddle
White bridge pins
Tortoise shell pickguard
Die-cast tuners
2-screw truss rod cover with "Montana" inscription

Colors:

Natural
Vintage Sunburst
Here are the pictures of the actual guitar: http://imgur.com/a/TCzmi

Where I get confused is this:
- From what I've read and been told, solid tops and sides are better than most laminates (Yamahas being the most obvious example of a good laminate).
- There were only 51 of these made.
- It appears to be in perfect condition.

Why is it that when you look for comparable prices online, they're all under $100? This is a limited edition guitar, in great condition and it's a solid body. Shouldn't it be at least in the $200 range? I'm not saying it should be priced similarly to even a Seagull S6. But at least a Yamaha FG700S?

Someone clue me in here. Money is super tight and I honestly, can't afford to make a mistake. Has anyone played one? Heard one played? Heard of someone who's played one?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 AM

That is not a Bozeman built EM-10
The headstock is wrong and it also has no truss rod cover.
This is what the Bozeman built headstock looks like

The bridge is also belly up on the Bozeman EM-10
Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma0015s View Post
That is not a Bozeman built EM-10
The headstock is wrong and it also has no truss rod cover.
This is what the Bozeman built headstock looks like
Meh. I should have caught that. I've been learning about guitar setups all night. Obviously, truss rod adjustment is part of it.

Getting really picky, now that I'm looking at it, the Epiphone logo on the head stock is incorrect also.

I just did a Google image search for epiphone acoustic guitar and I didn't see any models where there wasn't a truss rod cover. Are all Epiphone truss rod adjustments done from the head stock? Or are there some that have the internals?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 AM

Oh yeah..And the rosette is wrong. The pick guard is wrong.

Okay. Nevermind. Moving on.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Since you say " Money is super tight and I honestly, can't afford to make a mistake."..I would suggest you can't go wrong with the Yamaha FG700s that you also mention. $200 new and even less on the used market.
It's a goodun.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherguy View Post
Since you say " Money is super tight and I honestly, can't afford to make a mistake."..I would suggest you can't go wrong with the Yamaha FG700s that you also mention. $200 new and even less on the used market.
It's a goodun.
Yep. Would love one. But $200 (or the $100 700S I've seen with a 2.5 hour drive) is more than I can manage.

Yep, I sound pathetic. But the main reason I'm pressing so hard to learn right now (after 20+ years of wanting to, but making excuses not to) is to get my mind off of our money troubles. Music is about the only thing that let's us escape (always has). The phrase, "save and get something better (than what I've found to this point)" isn't a possibility right now. So, I'm scrounging trying to find the absolute best deal I can so I'm not trying to do this again in a year when I've fully realized the limitations of a "cheap" instrument.

AGF has been amazing in this regard. Punches aren't pulled. You get honest answers. And you suffer fools rather well also.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 AM

As you have probably now figured out there was a line fo three EM models made in Bozeman. There was also another line of EM guitars assembled in Bozeman from offshore-made parts. Sigma0015S did a great job of pointing out easy ways to tell them apart.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuyTim View Post
Yep. Would love one. But $200 (or the $100 700S I've seen with a 2.5 hour drive) is more than I can manage.

Yep, I sound pathetic. But the main reason I'm pressing so hard to learn right now (after 20+ years of wanting to, but making excuses not to) is to get my mind off of our money troubles. Music is about the only thing that let's us escape (always has). The phrase, "save and get something better (than what I've found to this point)" isn't a possibility right now. So, I'm scrounging trying to find the absolute best deal I can so I'm not trying to do this again in a year when I've fully realized the limitations of a "cheap" instrument.

AGF has been amazing in this regard. Punches aren't pulled. You get honest answers. And you suffer fools rather well also.
You don't sound pathetic at all. We all have budgets and need to stick to them - better to have food on the table. Keep looking at the classifieds and guitar shops but it's going to be tough to find something playable < $100.

Also, if you're just starting out I believe that it's more important to have a playable guitar than a really nice sounding one or a pretty one. If the guitar is too hard to play you may be more likely to give it up.

Do you have a friend that can lend you a guitar?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM

+1 on the Yamaha FG700S. A great pick for a first guitar, and excellent for the money. Here's my video review. http://firsttimeguitarbuyer.com/yamaha-fg700s-review/
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuyTim View Post

I am not deterring you from getting a different guitar but you say you want the absolute best deal. The Yamaha FG700s is the king of the heap in this price range for brand new guitars with good warranty service.

I just purchased a FG700s myself and I have owned guitars that included a Martin D-40. The Yamaha is a wonderful guitar that I`m proud to have in my house. Just look at the numerous threads on AGF praise this model. See my recent post here

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=304325

Whatever you decide to buy budget the extra money to get a professional setup done. If the guitar plays like crap you will not enjoy playing it.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM

I have to admit that trying to find the quality in price range I'm in, is proving to be quite frustrating.

Dru Edwards - I am fighting your belief right now. I'm firmly in that camp that having something playable is more important that finding that investment piece that will last me the next several decades. But at the same point, I don't want to do this again any time soon.

I currently have two that I'm eyeing up right now. One is an F325 that's a 1/2 hour drive for me for right around a Jackson. And the other is the ubiquitous FG700S that's $100, but a 2.5 hour drive. The 700 comes with tuner and pick, the 325 comes with the guitar only.

These to me, are the best bang for the buck values I'm finding right now.

The thing working in my favor right now, is the ads have been up since 7/29 (700S) and 6/25 (325). I don't know if people have inspected and declined or if there just isn't the interest. I've seen several other guitars sold in the last couple of weeks, so there's still a demand, but the market is saturated with First Acts, Rogue, Johnsons and the like, so maybe the Yammies are being over-shadowed a bit? I don't know, frankly.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Hang in there and keep a close eye on CL. Send a few emails with low offers. You might be surprised. I just picked up a Recording King RO-O6 from a guy who took $75. He had bought the guitar a year ago to teach himself to play and never really played it more than a few times. Except for the dust it was in brand new condition. I think if you keep trying you'll find someone in a similar situation who bought the guitar to "learn how to play" but never really followed through and now just want to see the thing gone. Lots of good beginner guitars out there that were bought new with good intentions and never really played.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 PM

If you could squeeze out $159.00 this is a great deal. The $159 is for the Sanburst option.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

I know it's over your budget, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 2.5 hour drive is pretty serious gas money. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
If you could squeeze out $159.00 this is a great deal. The $159 is for the Sanburst option.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

I know it's over your budget, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 2.5 hour drive is pretty serious gas money. Good luck with your search.
That Yamaha FG700S looks nice and has a solid spruce top. MF also has free shipping and a great return policy.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That Yamaha FG700S looks nice and has a solid spruce top. MF also has free shipping and a great return policy.
These are great guitars for the money. Big Bang for the buck. A couple students have them and I'd recommend them again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion