The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM

Default NGD: Fender Baja Telecaster

Picked this beauty up about a week and a half ago. I actually owned one seven years ago but had to let it go because it was a boat anchor at nearly 10 pounds. This one's easy on both the eyes and the shoulder at about 7.4 pounds.

For those who may not be familiar with this particular model, it's a Mexico-made Fender Telecaster that was cooked up by one of the guys in their custom shop and comes with custom shop pickups that are just fantastic. It's also got 4-way pickup switching that gives you a fatter humbucker-esque dual pickup sound.

The neck on this model is also wonderful, it's the thickest neck you'll find outside of the custom shop and is great for someone like me that plays primarily acoustic. Super easy to play, instantly feels comfortable and familiar.

If you've ever been on the fence about a Telecaster, the Baja is a great option -- it's no wonder that this has been a very popular model amongst the Tele aficionados ever since it was introduced a while back.

Just gotta get a cool Fender rectangle case and one of those bridge covers to put on for fun now and then

Last edited by ataylor; 08-17-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Re-linked photo
Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 PM

Yep, don't need to see the photo to know what a great guitar it is.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Yep, don't need to see the photo to know what a great guitar it is.
I think I got the image sorted out. Flickr seems to always be changing how they let you link images...
Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Very nice - I've talked myself out of one of these every month for the past few years, but that my change over the winter
Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Snagged a black/black G&G case for it.

Definitely feels just a little more "Fender" coming in and out of the iconic rectangular case
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
Very nice - I've talked myself out of one of these every month for the past few years, but that my change over the winter
Do it

I was in the same boat for a long time and finally decided that it was inevitable -- I had to have that sparkle and twang of those custom shop pickups!

I'm definitely an acoustic guy when it's all said and done but this guitar really makes playing electric fun.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Enjoy your tele im really happy with mine.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
...it's the thickest neck you'll find outside of the custom shop...
You had me right up to here - if it came with an early '61 1-5/8" flat-C profile I'd be at GC right now waiting for the doors to open...

BTW, if you'd like something with more of a vintage vibe check out one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWJMELEC

A whole lot cheaper than the Fender tweed case, and it has the early-50's look...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 08-20-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You had me right up to here - if it came with an early '61 1-5/8" flat-C profile I'd be at GC right now waiting for the doors to open...
You should give one a try anyway, you might be surprised. It's a really comfy "soft-V" shape that just feels great. Another option if the Baja checks all the other boxes would be to swap the neck for something you like better -- I imagine it wouldn't take long to find a happy buyer for the Baja neck on eBay or a guitar forum or the like.

Also, Fender recently started making a 60s Baja Telecaster -- it's more or less the same blueprint but with a slimmer neck profile, rosewood fretboard, and different pickups (I believe 52 and 58 AV series). It comes in a really nice faded sonic blue and a couple other colors.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Nice guitar! I have an FSR Butterscotch, but the Baja with the thick neck is intriguing. Is it a heel-adjust truss rod, or is it at the headstock?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Sweet! Enjoy your new Tele!
Old 08-20-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Nice guitar! I have an FSR Butterscotch, but the Baja with the thick neck is intriguing. Is it a heel-adjust truss rod, or is it at the headstock?
It's adjusted at the heel. Those FSR Teles are nice too!
Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You should give one a try anyway, you might be surprised. It's a really comfy "soft-V" shape that just feels great. Another option if the Baja checks all the other boxes would be to swap the neck for something you like better -- I imagine it wouldn't take long to find a happy buyer for the Baja neck on eBay or a guitar forum or the like.

Also, Fender recently started making a 60s Baja Telecaster -- it's more or less the same blueprint but with a slimmer neck profile, rosewood fretboard, and different pickups (I believe 52 and 58 AV series). It comes in a really nice faded sonic blue and a couple other colors.
Thanks, but it's the '52-53 vibe that I'm looking for - used to own one of the first late-CBS '52 Reissues (all the cosmetics/electronics but with the 1-5/8" slim neck profile), that I had rewired with a 5-way switch to get both series and Gretsch-type tones; traded it toward an early '47 very-low A-Series (white label) non-cut L-7, which I later traded on my two Rainsongs - in retrospect I should've kept the Tele...
Old 08-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It's adjusted at the heel. Those FSR Teles are nice too!

Thanks. I like mine, although I suspect I'd prefer the pickups on the Baja. The heel adjust seems like a PITA to me, but I suppose you can do it by unscrewing the pickguard?

Either way, sweet Tele! I hope it brings you much enjoyment.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM

Can't go wrong with a Tele.

I still play mine every day, got it a year ago and still addicted.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars