The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Hmm, seems to review quite well, of course it's also the most expensive of the ones I'm considering. Sounds like the reverb is nice and it has tremolo as well eeeenteresting...
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maluaka View Post
How does everyone feel about digital reverb vs spring? Is it vastly inferior or just something the cork sniffing tone connoisseurs would notice?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the difference would be something that an electric guitar Luddite like myself wouldn't notice?
Something like a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal will sound better than anything any amp with reverb ever came with. Personally I would put in the loop if your amp has one, to add it after the preamp stage and before the power amp stage. That's what I do on my Boogie MkIV, which has its own less than fantastic reverb built in.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM

i use both, spring tube reverb and love it, and, i also use a strymon big sky reverb pedal and love it. as with everything on the agf, it is all subjective.

with my vox ac15c1, i use the tube reverb and the tremolo that is built in. i don't like any pedals at all since i can get a great clean sound and a great dirty sound just by tweaking the knobs.

with my tweed princeton and blackpanel champ combo, i use the strymon blue sky and love the sound i get with it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 07-28-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmm, seems to review quite well, of course it's also the most expensive of the ones I'm considering. Sounds like the reverb is nice and it has tremolo as well eeeenteresting...
Yep, it may be a little above price range, but if you're open to buying pre owned, it should hit your range.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM

The digi-verb in my Bugera V22 can surf rather well - only thing it doesn't do that my Fenders can is "crash" when you smack the side of the cabinet...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Ha! So only fender offers the crash? Is it digital or analogue crash?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

There seems to be lots of love for the Vox and they review very well.

Muscmp, what have you compared the Vox clean tones to? Lots of reviews rave about the dirty tones but not many say much about the clean ones. Also, is it capable of descent tones at practice volumes?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:10 PM

If you are truely a jazz guy with bedroom aspirations then a solid state amp is fine. You will not be using the break up of a tube amp and will want lots of head room. A fender Mustang works well for that. If you think you want to do some Fusion, aka Robben Ford with Miles Davis, then we might be talking a different amp. I think the Fender Bassbreaker 7w is a great small amp that will allow for tube distortion without running the neighbors to the Police station complaining of all the noise.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Ha! So only fender offers the crash? Is it digital or analogue crash?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

There seems to be lots of love for the Vox and they review very well.

Muscmp, what have you compared the Vox clean tones to? Lots of reviews rave about the dirty tones but not many say much about the clean ones. Also, is it capable of descent tones at practice volumes?
fender isn't the only reverb setup that will crash. my gibsons and my buddy's sears does also, as well as other manufacturers.

as far as the vox clean tones, i really couldn't do a comparison as i have a few amps set up in my room and they have their own particular sound. that is why i have them. so, to me, the vox just has the ability to do both clean and dirty sounds very well. i seem to use it for rhythm tracks depending upon what is called for in the song, clean or dirty, effects or not.

the princeton and champ combo is used to produce lead guitar tracks with various pedals that are connected and ready to use. my 66 deluxe reverb is used a lot for rhythm guitar tracks utilizing the built in reverb and/or tremolo. i also use a gibson ga79rvt that uses el84 tubes like the vox but it doesn't sound anywhere near it.

i just take the amps for what they will give me and pair it/them with whatever guitar will get me the sound i want.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 AM

I've had three Fender Blues JRs..

It's a decent amp, but it's not going to go to "hard rock" / "metal" kinds of tones despite the master volume. It's just not voiced that way.

You can get something quite a bit more versatile for the money a new Blues JR. will run you.

I would check out the Fender Mustang III if you're looking for an amp that has a wide range of available tones.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:15 AM

Yeah, Still haven't gotten down to check anything out yet (wife is sick and I'd get nowhere taking a 2 1/2 and 5 year old to a music store), but based on all the reading I've been doing I'm starting to lean away from the Blues Junior.

The top contender at the moment is the Traynor YGL1. Great spec with an eminence greenback and an awesome warranty. I also like the looks of the YVC20 for a bit more loot with its pedal switchable clean and dirty channels and even a speaker defeat and headphone jack. Some reviews have commented that the dirty channel isn't as good sounding as the YGL though. I'll try them both and let my ears decide.

Definitely not looking for metal tones. Not a huge metal fan. Looking for it to be able to do primarily clean from twang to warm jazz, and a bit of grit for blues. Dirtiest tones I would ever be looking for would be some Led Zep stuff.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM

double post... deleted.

Last edited by rmp; 08-02-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Still haven't gotten down to check anything out yet (wife is sick and I'd get nowhere taking a 2 1/2 and 5 year old to a music store), but based on all the reading I've been doing I'm starting to lean away from the Blues Junior.

The top contender at the moment is the Traynor YGL1. Great spec with an eminence greenback and an awesome warranty. I also like the looks of the YVC20 for a bit more loot with its pedal switchable clean and dirty channels and even a speaker defeat and headphone jack. Some reviews have commented that the dirty channel isn't as good sounding as the YGL though. I'll try them both and let my ears decide.

Definitely not looking for metal tones. Not a huge metal fan. Looking for it to be able to do primarily clean from twang to warm jazz, and a bit of grit for blues. Dirtiest tones I would ever be looking for would be some Led Zep stuff.
Yep, the Blues Junior is the amp you most likely want. (Happy to admit that I'm a mostly Fender fan). I wouldn't discount a solid state amp like the Fender Mustang also which allows you to dial in a multitude of am settings and effects and allows you to use headphones for practice purposes. (Perhaps one of each)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 AM

for about $330, the Mustang III is a pretty good catch. The tube fanatics hate the idea of these modeling amps. I was skeptical too, ill I tried one.

They didn't make me go running off to login to ebay and list my tube amps, (I have a III and a IV) but, for sure I can get some great sounds out of them.

As an parlor/music room/practice amp, the MIII is pretty good option.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
for about $330, the Mustang III is a pretty good catch...I can get some great sounds out of them...As a parlor/music room/practice amp, the MIII is pretty good option.
The OP said:
Quote:
...I do have pretty good understanding of how amps work, differences between tube/SS etc...My main style of play would be predominantly alternating bass line Travis picking or Piedmont Blues style...I absolutely love jazz style guitar, though I don't know anything about it and would really like to learn to play in this style as well...I have been recently adopting a less is more approach to everything in my life and just want a one guitar, one amp, no effect chain approach...I'm not into heavily overdriven distorted hard rock/metal tones at all. I like clean tones with some reverb and just a bit of grit for bluesy stuff...
Sounds to me like he has a solid background and a really good idea of what he wants - I'd think a modeling rig is exactly what he's trying to get away from, based on his experience as a bass player...
Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The OP said:

Sounds to me like he has a solid background and a really good idea of what he wants - I'd think a modeling rig is exactly what he's trying to get away from, based on his experience as a bass player...
but...

how would he know if he didn't try it?

I simply suggested to "check em out"...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars