The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I know some like modeling amps, I haven't found one I like. I find that cycling through the models changes the volume. For example, if I choose a clean amp model, set the volume to where I want it, I want it to remain at that volume for the next amp I want to try. Instead, I now have to reach over and change the volume. Seems like a little thing, but it really got me annoyed, especially as the models added "crunch". In some cases the volume differential was just silly. I knew I wanted something much simpler.

My choice became a solid state (Albion AG 40W, which sounds really nice) and I have a foot switch to get me to the overdrive channel or turn on/off reverb. It has an MP3 in so I can play to backing tracks, and headphones out, so I don't wake the kids. It's perfect for my basement and it is loud enough to take to a small gig. I think you can buy this one for about $160 + shipping on Reverb. I have a pedal board for anything more than those effects, if I need it.

Blackstar makes some nice amps too, depending on how loud you want to go, or how feature-rich you want. The choice is really endless, and the costs are all over the map, with tube amps, obviously, at the higher end of the spectrum.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Well, I sure do appreciate everyone's opinions and insights!

I just got home from Long & Mcquade with a brand new 2016 Gretsch G5420T Elecromatic in Aspen Green!

Even with lots of amps to try, I'm such an electric novice that it was hard to put them through their paces. They had a tweed Blues Jr there that sounded great but actually sold while I was trying out amps. I wound up getting the Traynor YGL1. It sounded great and gets great reviews. Plus the warranty is awesome and Traynor is owned by the same parent company as Long & Mcquade so there you go.

I know, pics or it didn't happen... I'm swamped the rest of the day but off tomorrow so I'll get you all some pics then.

As an added bonus, I got way more for my trade in than expected! WooHoo!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
...My choice became a solid state (Albion AG 40W, which sounds really nice) and I have a foot switch to get me to the overdrive channel or turn on/off reverb. It has an MP3 in so I can play to backing tracks, and headphones out, so I don't wake the kids. It's perfect for my basement and it is loud enough to take to a small gig. I think you can buy this one for about $160 + shipping on Reverb. I have a pedal board for anything more than those effects, if I need it...
FYI it looks like Albion is out of business - something to consider if you're buying NOS online; owner Steve Grindrod (ex-Marshall/Vox designer) is going to be making amps under his own name for the first time:

http://grindrodamps.com/

Not on the market yet, but the prototypes - mostly combos in the Champ/Princeton/Deluxe Reverb/Vibroverb/Pro Reverb mold - appear to combine the best elements of British and American designs; I've been wondering when someone other than Peavey would make a mid-power tube combo with trem/verb and a switchable crunch channel - if he can bring some Marshall/Vox mojo to the design it should be interesting...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I know some like modeling amps, I haven't found one I like. I find that cycling through the models changes the volume. For example, if I choose a clean amp model, set the volume to where I want it, I want it to remain at that volume for the next amp I want to try. Instead, I now have to reach over and change the volume. Seems like a little thing, but it really got me annoyed, especially as the models added "crunch". In some cases the volume differential was just silly. I knew I wanted something much simpler.
All of the modeling amps do this with the factory presets. As is the case with all these amps, there is a "burn in" period where everyone needs to tweak the presets for their own specific needs.

But if you're just trying one out in a store, then yea, this will be the first thing you'll notice.

Once you spend a few hours, you'll probably wind up with about 5 or 6 presets that you'll find are best suited for your style.

(no one needs 100 different "sounds")

You will easily be able to level the volumes across the handful of presets you've settled on.

These amps do take a bit of getting accustomed to. They are hard to beat for mobility and fast setup/load out situations, like doing one set in a multi band event where there's really little to no time to screw around with Fx loops/pedals/power adapters/pedal boards/cables...

I still use the tube amps most of the time, but it's nice to have the option to use something light/portable with all the "Stuff" needed to get the job done.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Steve, thank for the info! I had no idea they'd closed up. I like my Albion a lot, it delivers nice bang for the buck. I'll be looking forward to the new company's offerings.

RMP, agreed on all counts. I really didn't want to play around. I work in IT, and as silly as this may sound, I didn't want another thing to program. I wanted "simple"; power it on, step on a pedal if I want something different (crunch, boost, chorus, etc.) and that's it. However, I can absolutely see the value in these amps for many.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Cool Thinking outside the box

As you already play and are used to acoustics , how about a Taylor T5 or T5z then you'd have the best of both camps . For amps you could then use a Blues Jnr together with an acoustic amp on YouTube there are some great reviews and demos check out Doyle Dykes demoing the T5 . Good luck with your search
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
As you already play and are used to acoustics, how about a Taylor T5 or T5z - then you'd have the best of both camps. For amps you could then use a Blues Jr. together with an acoustic amp. On YouTube there are some great reviews and demos - check out Doyle Dykes demoing the T5. Good luck with your search
Um, the OP just bought a full rig last night:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluaka View Post
...I just got home from Long & Mcquade with a brand new 2016 Gretsch G5420T Electromatic in Aspen Green!...I wound up getting the Traynor YGL-1. It sounded great and gets great reviews...
Don't think he's looking to spend any more money right now...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Hi folks,

Sorry about no photos yet...

I do have a question though:

I spent some time today tweaking the setup on the new Gretach and I have a bit of a concern. The neck had a fair bit of relief in it so I adjusted it to my usual acoustic spec of about a business cards thickness at the 7th fret when you capo the first and then press down on the 17th. My concern is that the neck seems to have a very slight bend in it where the heel meets the body. The truss rod nicely flattened out the fretboard but only up to around the 12th fret. From there forward there is a slight but detectable increase in relief. For example, if I capo the first fret and hold down the 12th, the relief at the 5th is perfect. If I capo the 9th and press down the 22nd, the relief at say the 13th or 14th is greater. Tightening the truss rod further just introduces backbow from 1-12.

Another way to think about it is if sighting down the neck from the butt of the guitar, the neck is flat and then kicks up just slightly around the 12th to 15th fret and then flattens out again more or less all the way to the nut. Basically there is no way to make the neck flat from 1 to 22.

I had a MIA Fender Jazz bass develop this issue years ago and it eventually had to have the neck replaced. That's why I'm a bit leery.

I was still able to easily set the relief to ~1.5mm or 1/16 at the 12th but I'm wondering if this is something fairly normal with Gretsches or if I should be looking to swap it out in case it gets worse?

Last edited by maluaka; 08-03-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:39 AM

it's not uncommon that there's something at the neck joint, but in this case, photos, if possible... would help
Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
it's not uncommon that there's something at the neck joint, but in this case, photos, if possible... would help
I'll see what I can do tonight but it'll likely be tricky to photograph.

In Lutherie terms I've heard it called "tongue lift". It's basically the opposite of the fall off above the 14th fret that acoustics typically have. It'd be like an acoustic that needed a neck reset. I would say the neck was under set.

At this point I think I'm going to return it which is a bit depressing. They have another Aspen green one at a different Long and Mcquade in town so hopefully it's still there when I'm able to do it next week. I keep going back and forth as its really minor, but I know that it's always going to bug me and it's not something that's ever going to get better, and there's a good chance it'll get worse over time with string tension. If I hadn't had a Jazz bass in the past that had the same issue, I wouldn't be so paranoid about it.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 AM

if you can look at several of them and they look the same.... perhaps it's probably just something "gretch", and the process they are using...

..they've always had a history of being a bit quirky, like ricenbackers,.. I don't know why that is, it just seems that way to me. Fun guitars all the same if you can find "the one"

I'd swap it out now, with one that has a cleaner neck joint, while you can.. I think that you'll never be 100% happy with it, If it was me, I'd have probably passed on it. (depending on how bad it seemed when looking down the neck)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
if you can look at several of them and they look the same.... perhaps it's probably just something "gretch", and the process they are using...

..they've always had a history of being a bit quirky, like ricenbackers,.. I don't know why that is, it just seems that way to me. Fun guitars all the same if you can find "the one"

I'd swap it out now, with one that has a cleaner neck joint, while you can.. I think that you'll never be 100% happy with it, If it was me, I'd have probably passed on it. (depending on how bad it seemed when looking down the neck)
I definitely did take a good look at the neck at the store, but since it was set up with too much relief at the time the issue wasn't evident. I've had some bad luck in the past with bad necks so I'm pretty vigilant when it comes to that stuff. I won't call myself OCD as that's unfair to people that actually have the condition, but I tend to be overly detail oriented and stuff that isn't right bugs me. I've spent lots of time studying and learning what goes into a guitar setup and the fact that the neck cannot be flat is definitely incorrect.

Hopefully the other one is better!

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Wink Update...

So, if anyone is interested, I've made a complete change in direction...

While I was mulling over what to do I was learning some "electric" stuff on the Gretsch. Mostly Led Zep and some bluesy stuff. I was finding that I enjoyed Chet style stuff way more on acoustic and wasn't really digging it on the Gretsch. I've decided that a solid body might be a better choice as a counter to my acoustics.

So, after much researching and mulling...

I've returned the Gretsch and ordered a Fender American Standard Strat! I tried one out and really liked the feel. I was obviously misinformed about the neck and string spacing because the couple I tried had a really comfy neck and wider spacing at the nut than the Gretsch. Most of the stuff I want to learn on electric is either Strat or LP and LP's are too expensive and the inconsistent rep scared me off. I don't play electric well enough to try a bunch to find a good one. I decided that a good strat was the best baseline to start my electric journey. I still really like the Gretsch and will likely end up buying one again down the road.

I wanted Olympic white with a rosewood board and they didn't have any in town. Rather than pulling one off the wall from a store in another city, we decided to order a new one from the supplier. It could take 2-3 weeks but it'll be fresh out of the box. I'll order up a mint green pick guard for it while I'm waiting 😉

So, hopefully a good choice! It's going to be a long couple weeks...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars