The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Default Martin D-1GT Observation

I own a Martin D-1GT guitar and love it. Now here is an observation made. The D-1GT model that I had bought is a low action. It was this low action that fianlly sold me on the guitar. Now here is the observation made. I had four D-1GT models in the store to pick-up and play. Out of the Four, three of them had a high action which I did not care for or wanted to buy and then take it to a Luthier to get the action just right. Now the Model I bought was the only one out of the four where the action was low. Any reasons why this might be. The Guitar when I first bought was Brand new and you could see that. So I am curious in the action obetween high and low and also am asking, can I expect this through out the Martin line.
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
I own a Martin D-1GT guitar and love it. Now here is an observation made. The D-1GT model that I had bought is a low action. It was this low action that fianlly sold me on the guitar. Now here is the observation made. I had four D-1GT models in the store to pick-up and play. Out of the Four, three of them had a high action which I did not care for or wanted to buy and then take it to a Luthier to get the action just right. Now the Model I bought was the only one out of the four where the action was low. Any reasons why this might be. The Guitar when I first bought was Brand new and you could see that. So I am curious in the action obetween high and low and also am asking, can I expect this through out the Martin line.
I didn't play those guitars so I can't say, but a blanket "can I expect this throughout the Martin line", my answer is no.

I have bought many Martins and do my own setups. In the last five years or more I have bought maybe 8 Martins, and none of them needed a setup. That's my experience, but also a setup is not a big deal when it is required.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion