The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The original RS guitars, while build on traditional lines, did not sound like traditional guitars. And some of the non-traditional builds sound as good or better than the traditional brands. We are in a period of great flux, and we have a marvelous array of choices.
Interesting, I actually had a very early Rainsong OM in my personal collection, and it sounded more traditional than their current guitars, not the other way around. This guitar was built in Hawaii, before most of the current CF builders were even old enough to drive. I'm guessing they weren't after any specific tone, they were just happy to be building something out of carbon fiber that sounded good. BTW, this OM was solid red with no CF showing, and it was much heavier built than todays Rainsongs. In fact it felt, and sounded more like todays Composite Acoustics than a Rainsong. This was years before Ellis Seal decided to build guitars of course. And while we are talking abut original designs, I had a first year Composite Acoustics GX in my stable for a year or two, and believe it or not, that GX was almost as light as a current Rainsong, and had a much brighter tone than the current crop of GX models. Never should have sold that one, but there is only so much room in my stable.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
........I actually had a very early Rainsong OM in my personal collection, and it sounded more traditional than their current guitars, not the other way around. This guitar was built in Hawaii......
Agreed on traditional sound from the early models. When I lived in Anchorage, the big store there had one of the original Maui-built Rainsong's with (IIRC) a matte uni-directional top. I always liked that guitar both for the idea of CF durability and for its good tone. But they had it on the sales floor for about ten years because of the $3500 price tag. - even more expensive than the Ovation Adamas they had too. I played it any number of times over those years, but no guitar that expensive was coming home with me back then. Because they had a Rainsong in stock that wasn't selling, they refused to order a WS-1000 for me when those came out.

They also had a couple of thin bodied OM's (?) that were covered with a HEAVY coat of metal-flake paint (one silver, one red). They sounded terrible acoustically but good plugged in, and would have looked flashy on stage. Those sat unsold for several years too.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM

Hmm... I had a Hawaii-era OM, but it was black carbon fiber with sharks, so later than Ted's I assume. I'd call the tone too bell-like to be traditional.

I prefer the current Shorty. But I certainly would be okay with a Shorty with a bevel for comfort!

I had a first year GX as well Ted, and I also regret selling it.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 AM

My WS-1000 was built in Hawaii in 2001, before they moved to Woodinville, WA. It has shark inlays (love them) and the exposed weave all around.

There is a bell-like clarity to the tone - good description - so also not what I would call "traditional". But the original ones were more classic in tone, assuming I recall correctly.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

This Zombie is alive !
Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Guest 928

I think it is difficult to generalize about the sound any particular cf maker; they have all gone through some incredible evolution. I've played Rainsongs that sounded like pianos, and I've played Rainsongs that sounded like a good Martin. CA, with its various finishes, produced a variety of tonal and projection qualities. Blackbird has produced classical sounding instruments with a star trek medium. Emerald has come on line with a variety of tonal and projection qualities in its many guitar manifestations.

My suspicion is that the cf makers have dialed in the cf medium to a level beyond wood. CF obviously offers options in terms of shape and ergonomics. CF also seems capable of matching the tonal qualities of wood--my Rainsong Parlor, for example, sounds very much like a classical nylon string guitar.

CF is the way to go................
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Default X20 vs comparable Rainsong

CaptainJim if you had to choose between the X20 and a comparable Rainsong, which would you choose and why?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Guest 928

Yes Captain, step right up--I look forward to your answer.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

We know the answer, but not the why.....
Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
CaptainJim if you had to choose between the X20 and a comparable Rainsong, which would you choose and why?
There are some nice RainSongs and Emeralds. I own one each of the two most popular Emeralds, an X7 and an X20. I only own one RainSong, a SG-FLE (limited edition) Shorty, but I have had the opportunity to play other RainSong models.

Not to be polarizing, but I haven't found another carbon fiber or wood guitar that I would take over the X20... it simply sounds, plays, looks, and feels like it was made for me. There is no RainSong I've played that is as comfortable to me. Sound/tone is a subjective thing, and I definitely prefer the sound of the X20. The offset soundhole, projection, and comfort make the X20 a step above (again, for me)... are we playing a drinking game here to see how many times I say that?

I recently put some Martin Lifespans on my X20, but those will be coming off soon. I definitely prefer the sound and feel of Elixirs. We could also talk about amplifying. How we use the guitars. What kind of look we prefer. A cutaway? Scale and nut width.

That's a free opinion. I have no affiliation with Emerald other than being a satisfied customer.

For the record, if you asked me about Martin and Taylor, I would go with Taylor; never found a Martin I could bond with. So, does that tell you something about my taste? Probably. I like playing a guitar that is well-made, rich crisp sound, and comfortable. I haven't picked a carbon fiber guitar with the idea of "what sounds most like wood?" (I see that question here from time to time) I like the "carbon fiber sound" even though they all sound different. If I wasn't happy with that first RainSong, I probably wouldn't have bought more carbon fiber guitars. So, it isn't that "Emerald is better than RainSong," it is that the X20 ticks off more of what I want from my guitar experience.

Ask me about my X7.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Well said Captain....
I own a RS H-WS1000N2 and a X20 and couldn't agree more with what Jim says about X20. I've played a lot of CF guitars and it suits me better than any of the others. The WS will likely be up for sale soon.

But I prefer Martins over Taylors.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

OK you guys. This argument over Taylor vrs.Martin has got to stop. Such heated arguments are not tolerated here. And besides, what are you doing bringING wood to a composite site? For shame. I may haveto bring in a moderator. Or maybe a referee--10 yard penalty each?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK you guys. This argument over Taylor vrs.Martin has got to stop. Such heated arguments are not tolerated here. And besides, what are you doing bringING wood to a composite site? For shame. I may haveto bring in a moderator. Or maybe a referee--10 yard penalty each?
I wouldn't call this heated... kinda cool, actually. I'll take the 10 yards over 2 hours in GC in the aforementioned circumstances any day.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LOL...that made me laugh out loud. An 8 series 12 fret could sway my preference. Then things would be more civil around here. I'll go restring 3 guitars as punishment.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:15 PM

Default I love this thread!

I re read all the pages and saw a green light on the first page realizing it was me. I played an original rainsong must be over 20 years ago. (?). I remember the Sharks, it was a guitar store in Orlando Disney with my kids who are now in meds school. I remember the "bell" tone at the twelve fret like hitting a piano key. Shocked me. Never found that sound again. In any carbon. Like manufacturers bred that sound out of guitars. (Taylor too scooped in the mid tones for me. 2 martins here)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber