The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Default GAS - Rainsong CO-DR1000N2 with Review!

As you might recall, a couple weeks ago I came across my first in-the-flesh CF, which was a CA. I got lots of great advice and suggestions from this forum, thanks!

After finding a few more to get my hands on, and largely because I'm kind of a Dreadnought kinda guy and found a good deal on one, I bought a RS CO-DR1000N2. I've been playing it for about a week now and definitely have some thoughts:

LOOK

It looks super cool. Mine had been equipped with black Gotoh "traditional" locking tuners with black keystone buttons which I think looks really good on this guitar. Certainly wouldn't want them on my Taylor 810, but for a space-age CF guitar? Heck yeah! I generally don't like electronics on my acoustics, especially barndoor style - so that's a bummer to me. Woulda been a dealbreaker if it were a traditional wood guitar, but it's acceptable on the CF.

The layup of the actual CF weave on the back and sides, as well as the unidirectional CF top is flawless. Rainsong did a really sweet job book-matching the weave and creating a very high quality appearance. There are some slight wrinkles in the corners inside - but that's just the nature of working with CF; and RS does a really nice job with the layup.

A big factor in deciding to go with the CO model instead of a hybrid was the rosette and shark inlays for fretmarkers. After getting the guitar, I can say I totally made the right choice. I just love the iridescent blue/green sheen of the rosette and the shark inlays are just too cool.

FEEL

The shape is a dread, so that's totally normal to me. It does seem to be a little slicker than wood, though, so it tends to slip around in my lap slightly more than I'm used to, but not enough to worry about.

I definitely notice the fretboard is flatter/less radiused than the Taylors I'm used to. I understand Taylor uses a 16" radius while RS uses a pretty unconventional and large 20" radius. After playing it for a week or so now, I don't mind it. In fact, I'm able to swap back and forth from Taylor to RS and barely notice it at all anymore.

The neck/fretboard feels a bit wider overall than my Taylors, as well. I didn't notice it until I played a D/F#

where it was a longer thumb reach than with my Taylor. Capoing the 5th fret and getting my thumb onto the 6th string is a challenge I'm currently barely able to manage with the RS, while it's not an issue with my Taylor.

Speaking of reaching the thumb around to get onto the the 5th or 6th string, and what is my main criticism of the entire guitar, are the sharp corners on the edges of the fretboard. That D/F# thumb wraparound jams my thumb into the corner of the fretboard, and the sharpness is a bummer. Someday when this guitar gets refretted, I'll definitely have the luthier radius these corners.

Speaking of sharp edges, the frets themselves could have been filed slightly better. If you run your finger along either the top or bottom edges of the fretboard to feel the ends of the fretwire, they are a little sharp. It's really not an issue as much as me being very, very critical and going out of my way to find "flaws", but in fairness, my Taylors don't exhibit this.

My last comment about the neck is regarding the N2 profile. I like it! After reading a lot of comments regarding the N2, I was concerned - but it's really no issue at all. In fact, it doesn't feel any more "full" or thick to me than my Taylor. My hands don't feel crampy or fatigued, even with barre chords. To qualify all this, I'm 6'2" and when I open my hand as wide as possible, I have a 9" span from tip of thumb to tip of pinky - so I've got relatively large hands. I have no idea what I'd think of the N2 if I had smaller hands.

More things about the feel of the guitar include the string spacing. It feels identical to my Taylor along the neck, but it feels slightly wider down by the saddle. Nothing to really "get used to", but just a minor feel thing. I don't mind it at all, just saying that's how it felt. Also, I know CF is usually used to make things light and strong - but I still didn't expect this guitar to be so light. Between lack of bracing and the CF material, this is a very, very light guitar. Not complaining!

Not sure where to mention this... The flip out electronics module is slightly loose, and will vibrate/buzz when I played certain notes. I closed the door down over a small piece of paper towel to act as a shim/damper and it solved the problem. Not sure if this is common with these preamps, or if mine has developed the issue over time, or maybe the previous owner(s) messed it up. Also, the only thing securing the 9V battery to the module is a little plastic finger - which is inadequate. I learned this when I was trying to locate the source of the buzz and gave the guitar a good shake, which launched the battery out of its holder and into the body of the guitar. I have a couple ideas on how to correct this, but for now I'm just going to avoid shaking the guitar.

Last thing on feel of the guitar is the setup. I bought the guitar used and I don't know if it has been setup again since leaving the factory, but the setup is excellent, low and just how I like it - right on the edge of buzz. If you really dig in and strum it hard, you can get the faintest buzz on the 5th and 6th string. I don't play that way anyway, so it never buzzes.

TONE

It has a totally, totally different voice than my Taylor 810! That's ok, I didn't buy this guitar to sound the same (or better) than my 810. I bought it to be a DIFFERENT guitar that I wouldn't feel bad having around a bonfire, with people drinking, maybe pass it over to somebody else to play... No way could I subject my 810 to that! Additionally, I thought it'd be cool to have a guitar that sounded a bit different than the 810. Different tools for different jobs, right?

Bottom line is I certainly prefer the tone of my 810. It is sweeter, darker, warmer and more complex than the rainsong. The RS sounds nice in its own right; it is very responsive and has excellent clarity, balance and loads of sustain, but lacks the woodiness and chime of my Rosewood Taylor. Think digital vs.analog... Again, I'm totally ok with this. It sounds really nice! Plus, I've experimented with many different strings on the Taylor (love the Pearse 710 new mediums), and I've only played the RS with whatever it came with (which appeared new, but I can't identify what they are, other than appearing to be phosphor bronze).

Where its tone really seems great though, is plugged in. I basically never play my acoustics plugged in because I don't perform, and I don't care for the sound of a plugged-in acoustic. Mind you, I have a Blackstar 20W combo designed for an electric guitar playing blues and rock and roll - but I've played through other "acoustic" amps and listened to lots and lots of recordings of plugged in acoustics. I simply don't like how acoustics sound plugged in.......but this RS sounds fantastic! To me, it sounds exactly the same as it does unplugged - which is super cool, except I don't think I'll ever make use of it! :-)

If you've read this far - thanks, and apologies for being so long winded. I guess I just wanted to try to get all my thoughts down in writing for others to find when they go searching for info on the Concert model Rainsongs!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks for that thorough review of your new Rainsong. Regarding the electronics, definitely not normal, you should give Fishman a call.

Congrats, and use it in good health.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Congratulations on your new Rainsong! The concert is my favorite series.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Sounds like you've found a winner! Glad we could help steer you in the right direction. It takes a while to adjust to the tonal difference of CF, especially the unidirectional carbon, which is super-responsive, lively, and bright. And the body doesn't compress the sound *at all*, unlike wood. I find that I have to use a lighter touch to get my CF guitars to sing, compared to my wood guitars. Have fun with your new axe!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Congrats Extreme! I appreciate your descriptives in the tonal differences between CF and wood and I agree on all counts.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

As a dozen-times-or-more RainSong owner, any model of RainSong guitar is a wise choice for players wanting tone, playability, and a maintenance-free guitar. Currently, I don't have a RainSong but will again, soon, and Shark-Inlays Rock! May You & Your Loved Ones Enjoy Your RainSong For Decades--Maybe Millennia--To Come!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post

I definitely notice the fretboard is flatter/less radiused than the Taylors I'm used to. I understand Taylor uses a 16" radius while RS uses a pretty unconventional and large 20" radius. After playing it for a week or so now, I don't mind it. In fact, I'm able to swap back and forth from Taylor to RS and barely notice it at all anymore.
Officially Taylor = 15" radius, Martin = 16".

I like a flatter board myself, and my preference is actually for Larrivee's 17-21" compound.

Only issue I have ever had with Rainsong's 20" radius is on my WS-3000 (12-string). Finding a capo that works well is very hard. Shubb actually custom bent one to 20" for me but even so I have to install it upside down to get it to work right.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the new guitar, and thanks for the thorough review! Enjoy.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-07-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Officially Taylor = 15" radius, Martin = 16".

I like a flatter board myself, and my preference is actually for Larrivee's 17-21" compound.

Only issue I have ever had with Rainsong's 20" radius is on my WS-3000 (12-string). Finding a capo that works well is very hard. Shubb actually custom bent one to 20" for me but even so I have to install it upside down to get it to work right.
Hey AZ, I second those thoughts. Shubb is my favorite capo brand but none of the "C" variety really fit the profile on the RainSong. I have found that the L2 for nylon guitars is those closest match but I also have to install it upside down to get the best grab. I was able to find one in an anodized blue color which looks great with the blue sharks strap I use
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for taking this off on a tangent, but I have been using a D'Addario/Planet Waves NS Tri-Action Capo on all my Emeralds, RainSong, and Taylors with no issue. For full disclosure, I don't use a capo a lot - but when I do, this works.

And, if I didn't already say: Congrats on the RainSong, H-E - nice review.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:43 PM

I play a capo all the time, and my standard-issue Kyser works every time. [/hijack thread]
Old 10-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sorry for taking this off on a tangent, but I have been using a D'Addario/Planet Waves NS Tri-Action Capo

Sorry Capt. Jim, couldn't resist
Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Guest 928

Steel;

Very nice! Thank you for the good morning humor.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

Sorry Capt. Jim, couldn't resist
Funny! In fact, that image looks a lot like me... except I don't dress that well, have less hair, I'm shorter (and thicker), have never been able to pull off that pose... and I don't like beer.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Funny! In fact, that image looks a lot like me... except I don't dress that well, have less hair, I'm shorter (and thicker), have never been able to pull off that pose... and I don't like beer.
Now THAT'S funny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber