The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Who is making the best all-laminate model now?
Yamaha 28 42.42%
Martin 10 15.15%
Taylor 5 7.58%
Alvarez 4 6.06%
Takamine/Jasmine 5 7.58%
Ovation/Applause 1 1.52%
Epiphone/Maestro 0 0%
Fender/Squier/Gretsch 0 0%
Norman/Art & Lutherie 5 7.58%
Blueridge/Bristol 1 1.52%
Alvarez 1 1.52%
Dean/Luna 0 0%
Ibanez 1 1.52%
Other (Mitchell, Robelli, Silvertone, Estaban, Kay...) 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Who makes the best all-laminate these days?

Stumbling onto a Yamaha FG-335 over the weekend made me all sorts of nostalgic about old beater guitars and how, even for an all-laminate model, the thing just has a tone you don't find at a budget price anymore. I wonder why that is.

I know Yamaha's FG7**'s and Seagull S6's sit atop the hill of beater guitars, but who, in your opinion, is making the best all-laminate model these days? Which one?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Guest 4320

I really love my 13 yo Martin DM, Laminate back & sides, solid top. They're discontinued, but can be found for a budget price used here & there.

Also, my Estralita is all laminate minus the sides/neck, but thats a different beast altogether
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Im not sure if there are any makers that make an ALL laminate guitar these days, most have solid tops.

But if the question would be who makes the best solid top, laminate b/s for me the clear answer is Furch / Stonebridge with their Durango series.

Have not heard a laminate sound as rich, responsive and warm as with these guitars.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM

I have 2 x 70's Ibanez Concords - they are both seriously impressive... Nothing at all wrong with some of the older laminates, but I haven't been impressed with the more recent ones though, they generally feel cheap, quite unlike the Concords... That being said I voted Yamaha as the prime all-laminate...

Last edited by Aden; 04-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Snake…

Voyage Air (other). Harvey Leach builds wonderful guitars, and these are truly the best sounding I've heard in the laminates which play really nicely and travel anywhere.

VAOM-02 or VAMD-02 (OM or Dreadnaught with appropriately sized nut)
The VAOM-02 is OM sized with 1¾'' nut &
The VAMD-02 is Dreadnaught with 1-11/16'' nut

Full Scale and they fold up and go into a backpack which fits into the overhead bin of an airliner. The backpack comes with the guitar.

Voyage-Air Site - CLiCK

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Peavey.

(new parent of Composite Acoustics)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM

I currently have a martin DCX1E and it has been a very good guitar. It hits those low notes and yet is still able to balance it out with good mids and decent highs
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM

I have a 2 yo Martin DR, laminate back and sides with solid top. I have had accomplished guitar players pick it up and all have remarked on how good it sounds, even to the point of wanting to trade or buy it. I think it is probably a more pricey laminate but it sounds more expensive than it is (by alot).
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Martin makes an all laminate? Furthermore, HPL is a conglomerate, not a Laminate.
Yamaha has made the best Laminated guitars since 1966! And some of the best solid guitars. And Solid top, laminated back and sides. Some really cool electrics also.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM

If by laminate, you only count guitars that are made from laminated wood and not any other material, Yamaha is my choice.
If you mean a guitar made from something other than wood, I really like
Composite Guitars.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Well..I voted Takamine/Jasmine but it's because I just bought an all laminated Takamine G340 which is part of the G Series. It's a laminated spruce top on a laminated mahogany body. It was setup wonderfully from the factory and the build quality and other materials are excellent. Not even sharp fret ends. It's also really sturdy and feels like it will take a beating for years to come. The nut is cut perfectly and looks like it could be tusq. Same with the saddle. The neck is also very much like the Martin low profile oval shape. Really comfortable to play. The wood quality is excellent too.

The Takamine has terrific sustain and pretty good intonation. I bought it to bring to the acoustic open mic I host once a week so I don't have to worry about letting others using it (like I did with my Martin). I use it with a Fishman soundhole pickup into an outboard pre-am/DI and it sounds great. I also plan on using it with my part-time bluegrass group since it's a big old dread and has that sound. In my search for a beater I did try a Norman B-15 and it was a close runner up but was just a little to bright for my taste. The Tak has that more traditional dread soud even though it's all laminated.

I'd highly recommend checking one out if you are looking for a really good beach/cottage/campfire/patio guitar. It would even make a good first beginner guitar.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM

I give my nod to Yamaha as well. As Kitchen Guitars pointed out, they've been making quality guitars of all varieties for a long time and their laminates rival some solids, at least to my ear.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
Stumbling onto a Yamaha FG-335 over the weekend made me all sorts of nostalgic about old beater guitars and how, even for an all-laminate model, the thing just has a tone you don't find at a budget price anymore.
You're absolutely right. I had my FG-335II for 30 years (bought it new). I just recently put it out to pasture, as it finally got to the point where it needed a neck reset. I didn't want to spend the big $$ so it was time to let her go. Great tone for an all-laminate guitar.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
Im not sure if there are any makers that make an ALL laminate guitar these days, most have solid tops.
If there was a bet to be made, my money would go on the "more all laminate" guitars are made than solid (based on sheer numbers).

Who makes the best? Hard to say. I wonder which factory is making the Voyage Air boxes. From what I've heard, the all laminate ones are pretty nice. My solid top VA is surprisingly nice.

Ed
Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Martin makes an all laminate? Furthermore, HPL is a conglomerate, not a Laminate.
Yamaha has made the best Laminated guitars since 1966! And some of the best solid guitars. And Solid top, laminated back and sides. Some really cool electrics also.
I agree Kitchen. I played a beat up old FG460SA that had a good 4" crack in the top that sounded better than any other guitar in the place (a pretty good consignment guitar shop in S FL w/ about 15 other acoustics)

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion