The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM

FYI, I just came back from a ten-day trip (four flights, rental cars, hotel rooms - the whole shooting match). My previous travel guitars had been Go-Guitars, and for the past three years an Emerald X7, but just prior to this trip I got a Journey OF420B (Sitka and Pau Ferro). It initially took a bit of getting used to -- the takedown neck feature is a little disconcerting at first, and it takes a little dexterity to get it safely into and out of the case, but over time it's become second nature. had been contemplating the OF660 CF guitar, but ended up compromising, because a guitar in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I didn't have the ready cash for the 660.

Overall, I was very pleased. I was able to carry it on every flight, even regional jets (Canadair RJ900 -- perhaps the most uncomfortable conveyence ever built, with tiny overhead compartments to boot!) and when I was in boarding "Zone 3." So it was totally successful in that respect.

IThe tone from this guitar was surprisingly rich, resonant, and dare I say it - LOUD for such a tiny package. Fingerpicked, it was pleasant, but when I dug in with a pick it really responded well - better than I figured. The only 'complaints' I have are that tuning stability was a bit shaky at first -- it seems to be getting better as I play it more -- and I found a definite "ping" when bending the D string that also seems to be diminishing with time (probably as the grooves in the nut smooth out).

I am still thinking about upgrading when I get the chance, but I am currently vacillating between an Emerald Chimaera and the Journey CF. I have a bit of soul-searching (as well as thinning the herd) to do first, since I am running out of space!

Anyway -- in terms of utility, I'd give it a big thumbs-up. Also, I had some correspondence with the owner on a couple of questions and issues, and got quick responses and complete answers, so I'm very pleased with Journey's customer service as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber