The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Default X20 & Neck up

Does anyone with an X20 use a Neck Up on the guitar? I know the contours of my X7 wouldn't work very well with it but wondering if the X20 would have more purchase area for the strap and suction cup.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Hi John,
I use a NeckUp on my X7 and on all of my guitars with no problem whatsoever. That being said I'd bet a NeckUp would work fine on an X20.
Barb
Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi John,
I use a NeckUp on my X7 and on all of my guitars with no problem whatsoever. That being said I'd bet a NeckUp would work fine on an X20.
Barb
Hi Barb,

Do you use the small neck up on the X7?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Hi John,
I bought a small one that I have kept in the case but I have been using a large one when I play it since the large one lives on my music stand. I actually like the big ones better for it.
And I have to say that I love the X7!
Barb
Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi John,
I bought a small one that I have kept in the case but I have been using a large one when I play it since the large one lives on my music stand. I actually like the big ones better for it.
And I have to say that I love the X7!
Barb
Thanks for your info Barb. I wasn't too successful using mine on the X7 but I'll go back and wrangle with it again. I really like the X7 but it's not getting much playing time since I hadn't found a good fit with the NeckUp.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 PM

If you put the suction cup that goes at the endpin jack on the second hole of the strap instead of the extension strap the large NeckUp fits nicely on the X7. I don't know if I explained that in a way that was easy to understand��.
Barb
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

If you are unable to get the Neck up to work ok other options include:

http://www.sagework.org

Http://www.deoro.com

I have heard great things about the Barnett. I have not (yet) tried it. I like the Deoro as well or better than the Meck-Up.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM

I am also able to use the large NeckUp on the Amicus although the smaller one would fit better.
Barb
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM

I had the small Neckup for the X7, but it wasn't stable enough so returned and exchanged it for the normal size version (for a small additional fee) and it was fine and stable. I used it for years.

I last used it on my Journey but recently bought the Sagework and now there's no going back. For me, it is just outstanding in build, function, adjustability--at just slightly more than the Neckup.

With more magnets, you can install them in other guitars and instantly change from one guitar to next.

As of yet, I haven't installed magnets on my X7, but hope to do that in the near future.

The Neckup will fold up to a very small size for travel, but the Sagework folds up surprisingly small as well. There are many reviews online--mostly by classical players. It's been one of the few guitar "accessories" that I have really, really been pleased with.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I had the small Neckup for the X7, but it wasn't stable enough so returned and exchanged it for the normal size version (for a small additional fee) and it was fine and stable. I used it for years.

I last used it on my Journey but recently bought the Sagework and now there's no going back. For me, it is just outstanding in build, function, adjustability--at just slightly more than the Neckup.

With more magnets, you can install them in other guitars and instantly change from one guitar to next.

As of yet, I haven't installed magnets on my X7, but hope to do that in the near future.

The Neckup will fold up to a very small size for travel, but the Sagework folds up surprisingly small as well. There are many reviews online--mostly by classical players. It's been one of the few guitar "accessories" that I have really, really been pleased with.
Thanks for the info ac. I have gotten the NeckUp to work this evening but I watched the video on the Sagework. I was wondering how a person would be able to attach the magnets to the inside of the X7 as the soundhole doesn't seem like it would allow much room to maneuver. But then again, I did eventually find the battery case for the Baggs system. What I like about the NeckUp is I can move the guitar a bit while I'm playing. Does the Sagework move the same way or does the leg piece tighten into a certain position?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Other Neck-UP Option

I only recently learned of this option that works for me:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-...CABEgLwP_D_BwE
Old 10-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

OK, my interest is piqued... I have never tried a Neck Up or other brace. I use a strap, even when sitting. I am an old dog, but willing to learn a new trick or two. What is the advantage?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
Thanks for the info ac. I have gotten the NeckUp to work this evening but I watched the video on the Sagework. I was wondering how a person would be able to attach the magnets to the inside of the X7 as the soundhole doesn't seem like it would allow much room to maneuver. But then again, I did eventually find the battery case for the Baggs system. What I like about the NeckUp is I can move the guitar a bit while I'm playing. Does the Sagework move the same way or does the leg piece tighten into a certain position?
The Sagework allows you to adjust it in many ways. Each "leg" is adjustable and the angle of the curved knee-rest adjusts (some people just force it back and forth in the videos, but it's actually spring loaded--do it correctly and it's less stress on the mechanism and stop points.)

There is some playing around at first to see where you best like it--but after a week or two, or minute or two, if not happy you can again adjust it as you please. You don't have to use the adhesive strips until you are finally happy with the placement. It will still hold so tight that it can be used without the strips. But, if you remove the leg rest, the magnets will drop into the guitar and find each other in a hurry.

The Neckup is more moveable to some extent on your leg because the leather flexes and moves back and forth some. It does move around a bit. Depending on how you play and what you like, that can be an advantage.

But that is why for me, I think I like the Sagework a bit more--because you can adjust in many more ways and get a very stable position that doesn't flex.

I had small issues with the Sagework that I easily corrected.

I bought the cheapest nylon resin model and because I lean over the guitar some, the magnet pads that attach to the guitar began to slide from the the nylon leg end a bit. the adhesive was a not as solid in the summer. I was worried that eventually, the nylon foot would separate completely from the pad, then the plastic magnet housing would be in direct contact with the guitar finish. Not good.

So I just remove both pads, cleaned in lighter fluid, and found a very secure, but slightly flexible adhesive and reglued them back in place--so they'll never move again. No problem since then and that was a while back.

Also, I wear shorts from time to time. With the nylon version, the molded nylon edges of the curved leg rest were just a tad sharp on bare skin. Not painful--no danger of cutting--just not as comfortable as I wanted. Finally, I just took some fine sandpaper and rounded the edges just a bit and all is fine and dandy.

I like the Neckup and used it for years. If you are happy with it, no need for anything else. It is also a clever design that works well.

But I wanted to position my guitar up higher for the way I hold and play guitar--slightly more classical positioning, and the Sagework gave me that option. I think comparatively, for the price, the Sagework is an outstanding product and a great concept well executed. The Neckup, for more normal guitar position, works just fine too.

It always depends on your needs and playing style, of course.

Again, I haven't tried putting magnets into the X7. My X7 won't be in my hands for a couple months as I'm not in country right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to reach where I need to for adding magnets. I don't think there will be any problem. My hands and forearms aren't that large. Just normal.

It was fairly easy with the Journey, but you still need to think through actions ahead of time and some patience when dealing with powerful magnets. Once in place, that's it--good to go.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info ac
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
OK, my interest is piqued... I have never tried a Neck Up or other brace. I use a strap, even when sitting. I am an old dog, but willing to learn a new trick or two. What is the advantage?
Hey Captain, I don't know about advantage/disadvantage but I play in a "classical" position on the left leg with the neck much more upright due to comfort issues. I also find it allows a more comfortable positioning of my left hand on the neck. A strap doesn't allow me to comfortably put the guitar in that position as easily, at least as I have found yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber