The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:39 AM

I don't get the word 'offended' in this instance. 'Irritated,' or 'indignant' or 'frustrated' perhaps, but 'offended'?? It sounds as though the perceived value of the guitar is somehow bound up with the seller's feelings of self-worth ...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I guess it might just be a cultural thing, but where I'm from everything is negotiable. If someone says "firm" I just move on. I may be mistaken in many cases, but if I don't know the person already I usually assume if that if they're that rigid on price, they're likely to be difficult to deal with in other ways.
I tend to move on from firm as well, unless it's a good price. Some people sell expediently. They set a good, fair, relatively low price and list as firm. Such stuff I would think moves quickly and with relatively little quibbling.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
It sounds as though the perceived value of the guitar
Again, this has nothing to do with the price or value of the guitar.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Yeah, don't take it personal. I wouldn't do that but I have made offers for trades when not solicited. Some may be irritated at this. I don't bother anymore but when I was building my way up I got my best guitar 4 years ago, Larry d 10, by soliciting a partial trade. Many guitars have come and gone, Larrys still with me. The previous owner wanted a good home for such a fine guitar, it was a win,win. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Typical conversation with someone selling something I think is priced too high.

"I want $XXXX for it and I'm firm on that"

"Sorry, I'll have to pass. I think that is a little high for that model in that condition"

"Well, how much would you offer?"
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM

These are all great points and since there are all sorts in this world you will run into....all sorts

Case in point, I was looking for a guitar a long while back (Brand and Dealers to be kept private) that lists for around $5k and the builder only allows dealers to sell at a max of 10% off. I reached out to several dealers and about 2/3 said the 10% is firm, around 30% said they can go lower with prices ranging from 20-25% off, and the dealer I went with could go 30% off because there were some specific circumstances about the deal that fit into provisions on his dealer contract to allow him sell it at that price.

Bottom line I ended up saving $1000 more for the "same" guitar and feel better about it looking back, but would not have achieved it had I not asked around despite "firm" prices.

It's not about you, but the way the industry and most businesses work...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
What's more, they often shoot a pile of bull about 'wanting to give my friends at AGF a shot before she goes on eBay,' when what they really mean is they want to save on the eBay/PayPal fees.
They'll also say that they have doctor's bills and vet's bills and GAS bills and everything they possibly can rather than come clean: "I've got this guitar. The sound or feel isn't right for me; maybe it'll be right for you. Interested?"
Lots of assumptions about people's personal situations there. As for the AGF vs eBay, well, sure it's nice to save the eBay final value fee, but isn't it a more obvious reason that you can sell to someone in this tighter-knit community than the wild west of eBay? Not to mention a lot of transactions here are funded by PayPal anyway, so you're not saving that fee.

As for people's personal reasons, I have no reason to call them a liar unless I know them VERY personally and can verify for sure that they don't actually have financial reasons to sell.

What I DO agree with you on, though, are the psychological posts about, "Oh me, oh my. I just put fresh strings on this baby, and now I'm really starting to doubt this is the right decision. Someone better buy this before I change my mind."

Now THAT is just too obvious
Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Lots of good information here about how other people think about things and perceive situations.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
What's more, they often shoot a pile of bull about 'wanting to give my friends at AGF a shot before she goes on eBay,' when what they really mean is they want to save on the eBay/PayPal fees.
It makes sense to me to attempt to sell the guitar to an AGF member somewhere below the Ebay price but above the Ebay price less fees.

Sounds like a win-win.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Nothing offends me any more. I'll post a firm price that is fair, I'll give an outstanding ( in my opinion ) description. Someone can pay the price plus shipping or come by and pick it up. I will no longer meet people half way unless its a trade. I quit answering repeat texts, one or two solid phone conversations can cover everything. If I get tired of lookie loo's or stupid questions I'll just pull it off the market.

After years of trading, buying and selling I guess ether I've lost my patience with difficult people or I'm just more confident. I like dealing with people on this forum more than any other way buying, selling or trading. A lot of us speak the same language when it comes to dealing guitars.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM

You're right.....if you post the price is firm , then they should move on if they're not willing to pay that. I would.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
I'm not offended if people don't want to pay what I'm asking, and if my guitar doesn't sell, then that's OK. But one thing that really bothers me is if I post my price is firm, and then I get a lower offer. It's not about the money, but rather the other person is essentially calling me a liar.

By saying "firm", I've essentially said "I will not take any less than this amount." When the other person offers less, they're essentially saying, "I believe your word has no value, that you're a liar, and that you really will take less."

Anyone else feel that way?
Not at all, and I have bought/sold many high end Martins up to $10K. Fair prices are known, and maybe I have been lucky, but I have had nothing but very win-win deals both here and over at UMGF. Never had any price haggling.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Neither has you setting a firm price on it - nor has it anything to do with your 'word'. People aren't calling you a liar, they either don't want to pay the asking price or simply don't read.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
There are more important things in life to affront your dignity than the situation you describe, IMO.

Don't sweat the small stuff - and this is definitely small stuff.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
How about the those that ask for more pictures and then do not have the courtesy to to respond after you send them.
I have issues with ones that are selling a guitar, and DON'T post pictures that they SHOULD know a potential buyer would want to see.
Example: I collect old Telephones, on the bottom is clearly marked the date of manufacture, Kind of a no brainer that you MIGHT want to know that. 90% of the time, no photo of the bottom of the phone.
It should go without saying, that anything you sell, should include ALL markings on the item.

Dan
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion