The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

If you feel that way, why did you question if you were getting the best price in your other thread? Weren't they "firm"?
The thread I posted this morning? No, that's a different situation. The stores don't say "firm" anywhere. They just post a price. And historically, I have paid exactly what they ask. But I've seen a lot of threads on here where people talk about getting discounts at stores, and I was curious.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Then you really should stay out of the haggling game or sell your guitar through consignment if this sort of thing offends you.
That might not work . . . I fully intend to "haggle" if I decide to buy a guitar that's currently on consignment.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 AM

On a slight tangent, given the responses so far, would all of you say that it's best to just never say "firm" in an ad? If people aren't going to believe it, then perhaps it's ideal to price the guitar a little higher and accept they'll offer less no matter what?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
I'm not offended if people don't want to pay what I'm asking, and if my guitar doesn't sell, then that's OK. But one thing that really bothers me is if I post my price is firm, and then I get a lower offer. It's not about the money, but rather the other person is essentially calling me a liar.

By saying "firm", I've essentially said "I will not take any less than this amount." When the other person offers less, they're essentially saying, "I believe your word has no value, that you're a liar, and that you really will take less."

Anyone else feel that way?
Maybe they're just not reading your ad in detail. Or they're a chiseler. Either way, on them not you. Just don't respond.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 AM

The thing is, a lot of people don't mean it when they say their offer is firm. What's more, they often shoot a pile of bull about 'wanting to give my friends at AGF a shot before she goes on eBay,' when what they really mean is they want to save on the eBay/PayPal fees. And they say, 'I'm taking this baby down because she means so much to me,' and then change their minds a day later when no one takes the bait. They'll also say that they have doctor's bills and vet's bills and GAS bills and everything they possibly can rather than come clean: "I've got this guitar. The sound or feel isn't right for me; maybe it'll be right for you. Interested?"

Sellers in general, I'm not saying you, say an awful lot of things to make a sale. Can you really blame potential buyers for thinking that your 'offer is firm' line will go out of the window if nobody bites?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Humanist

Some people come into every transaction with a "horse trader" mentality.

I was taught to never be offended by anyone's "offer" on something you might have for sale, from a house down to a yard-sale item. It's their money.

If I am "firm" on a price and am offered something less, I simply respond politely that I am indeed firm, and thank the person for contacting me.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 AM

There are a zillion post where a guy says FIRM! Then 3 months later...he's bumping it up and begging for an offer.

Firm means nothing. The price is what the market will pay...many posters FIRM changes when reality settles in.

A person might be "firm" on a price . . . until it doesn't sell in a timely manner.
Guest 213

Quote:
I'm not offended if people don't want to pay what I'm asking, and if my guitar doesn't sell, then that's OK. But one thing that really bothers me is if I post my price is firm, and then I get a lower offer. It's not about the money, but rather the other person is essentially calling me a liar.

By saying "firm", I've essentially said "I will not take any less than this amount." When the other person offers less, they're essentially saying, "I believe your word has no value, that you're a liar, and that you really will take less."

Anyone else feel that way?
I think that's a mighty big stretch to interpret that as them calling you a liar. I think it means they simply didn't read the ad or are hoping you've reconsidered.

It wouldn't offend me. I'd just politely remind them that the price is firm. Same goes for people asking for trades and international shipping after those things have already been clearly excluded in the ad.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know. I guess I just feel the world would be a better place if a person's word actually meant something.
i know what you mean. i also tend to price things as low as i want to go and call it firm to avoid haggling. however, i had an amp on consignment at a local store, with a $255 firm price. after a few months of it not selling, the store recently called to tell me they were moving and could i pick up the amp. they also mentioned someone was there who would pay $150. i ended up taking the $150, because i don't really have room for the amp.

anyway, so me, a staunch believer that firm means firm backed down on my firm price.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
How about the those that ask for more pictures and then do not have the courtesy to to respond after you send them.
Yeah, that's just rude. At least thank someone for taking the time to do that, even if you're still not interested.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Interesting topic.

I feel that in order for something to sell, both the seller and the buyer need to be motivated.

When selling a used item, there needs to be a bit of give and take from both parties. After all, a used guitar is only worth what the market will bear, not what a seller thinks it's worth.

Case in point: I tried to sell a used car that had a market value of $1500. I was insulted when someone offered me $500 for it. 3 years later I ended up giving it away for free.

I've often approached sellers with courtesy, and then negotiated a fair price. If the seller is truly firm, I move on. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Don't take offence if someone offers you a bit less than you'd like. It's all part of the game.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Guest 1928

I guess it might just be a cultural thing, but where I'm from everything is negotiable. If someone says "firm" I just move on. I may be mistaken in many cases, but if I don't know the person already I usually assume if that if they're that rigid on price, they're likely to be difficult to deal with in other ways.

That said, I've bought many things at the asking price if I thought it was exceptionally fair. I know I might get it for less by asking, but if the price is that good to begin with, it seems the polite thing to do.

To answer the original question, almost nothing offends me when selling something. Drivers on cell phones going out of turn at four way stops. THAT'S the kind of thing annoys me.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Yeah, that's just the open market for you. I don't get offended by anything a potential buyer has to say - but if they're idiotic enough, they're not getting a reply from me (like the guy who offered me $150 for a guitar I was asking $1000 for).
Your loss. That was a typo. He meant to offer $1500.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM

OK, so I guess I'm overreacting to it all.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion