The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Default Neck Reset/Mortise Tenon

Hi Everybody,

Been reading a bunch on neck joints here on the forum. I've got a J12-16GT that's looking like it's close to reset time if I want to keep it in standard pitch.
From the luthier's perspective are the mortise/tenon Martin joints an easier/faster job than the dovetail? I know the newer Taylors have the accessible bolts which makes for a quick neat reset (I saw the Taylor video). I think the Martin still needs to be steamed yes? The bolt is not accessible? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM

I think I would call Martin and ask them. They'll tell you what's involved.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electramone View Post
Hi Everybody,

Been reading a bunch on neck joints here on the forum. I've got a J12-16GT that's looking like it's close to reset time if I want to keep it in standard pitch.
From the luthier's perspective are the mortise/tenon Martin joints an easier/faster job than the dovetail? I know the newer Taylors have the accessible bolts which makes for a quick neat reset (I saw the Taylor video). I think the Martin still needs to be steamed yes? The bolt is not accessible? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Ed
Martin's MT neck is still a glued joint that uses the wood faces on the heel to set the angle. The "bolt" (really a dry wall screw looking thing) is there to hold the joint while the glue sets (there are some arguements about its structural significance). The reset proceedure is basically the same as a dovetail, you just don't have to do quite all the fiddling with the dovetail angles to set the neck angle.

Any good Martin tech can reset it for you, if you are the orginal owner it will be done under warranty.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the advice Freeman!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion