The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
I can't buy a guitar unless it's used, beat up, scratched, dinged, needs work, etc...I'm a player so buying a shiny new guitar and keeping it in museum condition just isn't me.

The last brand new guitar I bought was a Fender Strat when I was 18 (I'm 43 now). Anyone else exclusively attracted to used guitars?
I prefer used but my buying probably is about 50/50, and I don't think it's fair to say that folks try to keep new guitars in "museum condition", some do, some don't.

My gang of lifetime players keep their guitars in "reasonable player wear" condition, as do I, they get played not put in a showcase.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I prefer used but my buying probably is about 50/50, and I don't think it's fair to say that folks try to keep new guitars in "museum condition", some do, some don't.

My gang of lifetime players keep their guitars in "reasonable player wear" condition, as do I, they get played not put in a showcase.
Hi rmy,

I truly wasn't trying to use "museum condition" as a dig or anything. I was
just trying to express a preference of mine and wanted to see if others
felt the same way. I hope you understand.

I could never go into politics cause my words would get me in trouble long before I started.....heheheh
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM

My two most expensive guitars I bought used to save money. One is still practically pristine. No one really played it until I bought it, ten years old. The other has quite a bit of wear to it, and had been in for some major maintenance and repair.

Live gigs, I won't hesitate to take them both, but my singer asked me to leave one at her house last night so she could work on sound levels on the mixing board. I told her I needed them both to practice, sorry, but the truth is that, while I trust her, completely, those guitars aren't being loaned out or left at someone else's house.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I like my used used and my new new... the only thing I won't do is fake used new. I liked used guitars with character, great sound and great feel. But I like new guitars to be absolutely pristine; they are a blank canvas on which I seek to paint my own stories.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Smile

I have bought some used but mostly new. In the future I will look more closely about buying used. I've considered selling a few of the new ones I bought but the beating I'd take on the resale market gives me pause.

Also, if I buy new for my wife, she gets afraid to play the instrument so it sits. I realized this when we bought an old used beater and now she has that one out all the time. If I handle any of the new ones we bought for her she gives me the evil eye.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Just want to clarify.....I wasn't implying that people who buy new guitars aren't players or don't have a good reason to justify why they like new guitars. All the power to you. I was mainly interested in people who prefer used or beat up guitars and the reasons they choose them....Again, if you like new guitars I applaud you and appreciate your preference.
I assumed that is where you are coming from. For folks who get and keep their guitars in pristine condition - more power to 'em. I basically do the same thing - I am just started with old guitars that have wear to them.

For folks who love the thought of being the first, main player of a guitar and breaking it in - that's totally cool. It is just interesting how it's different strokes. I love playing an old guitar - I love how old guitars sound. I love wear that follows function; everything feels played in. And their wear gives me a bit more mental permission to just play them as tools. Again, different strokes and whatever works - just supporting the OP's thinking...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 PM

I end up with heavily used guitars because the models I like aren't made the way I like them anymore.

My Gibson LG-1, LG-3 and Hummingbirds are all from the '60s when the nut was narrower and more comfortable for me.

I've bought used guitars that were in mint condition and they've always been average guitars that didn't inspire their previous owners to play them.

Then again, I bought a NOS from a dealer in St. Louis on a guitar that had been sitting in his shop for a couple years and it was a steal.

So, you never know.

I bought my Martin M36 new because I wanted a new guitar for a change, but novelty aside I buy 'em used to save $$ and to get the ones I want.
LG-1
Sheryl Crow CW,
Les Paul Standard
Martin D28
LX1E
M36
Taylor 210e
Fender Tele '52AVRI
Musicmaster Bass
Various no name guitars, including one electric I love the best
Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Your Loss. I'll stick my neck out and say that almost all of the members of the AGF are players, so I don't think that sets you apart. Many have purchased new guitars. Some prefer to keep their guitars in like new condition, some don't. I'm sure there are many guitars out on the market to suit your preference.
I agree. Whether purchased new or used (cars, guitars, any equipment) I always take the utmost care of my equipment. I have been a player for over 35 years and always maintain my instruments and gear in near perfect condition. How you care for your equipment is obviously your choice but most players take very good care of their instruments - because we/they are players, not in spite of it. I can certainly see someone who, through neglect or simple carelessness, frequently or constantly dings, bumps or scrapes their guitars purchasing used for that reason alone. Simple economics.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-25-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 PM

My last brand new guitar was bought when I was 30.
Now I have a son that is nearing 30.

As some have said, I buy them close to new, or at least in very good condition.

I have a 34 year old Alvarez that is starting to look rough.
It's a 10-footer. Every step closer than ten feet you start to see the dings.

I'm not saying I wouldn't own a new guitar. I just rarely find one that my wallet loves like I do.

I've gotten great deals, and great guitars. That's how I roll.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-25-2014, 10:50 PM

i prefer to relic my own guitars the natural way - -thru time.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-25-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I am but purely for financial reasons. But I want my used guitars to be as close to new looking as possible. I'll be the one who puts dings and dents on them, thank you very much.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Mostly used, but not opposed to buying new if it is a smokin' deal. Scratches and dents I can deal with as long as there is no major structural damage or cracks that have gotten worse.
My Harmony archtop was made in 40's and it bears some hard life mojo, it was a players guitar for sure.
Recently I have purchased a Blueridge BR-341 that was definitely gigged with, it has some scars to show for it, thing is a tone monster and most of the cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me all that much.
I paid pricely sum of $300 for it, this included good quality hardshell case, Dazzo pickup installed and guitar was set up by/for previous owner. Changed the strings and am playing frets off of it .
Old 10-26-2014, 12:09 AM

im about 50/50 as well.

If there is something I want new and its available i'll buy it. It wouldnt stop be from buying used either. If it plays and sounds great ill buy new. The heartache of putting beauty marks is painful though.

Case wasnt open all the way when I pulled out my new 00018ge and i put a BARELY visible mark on the headstock. Its barely visible but its gigantic to me. I'll get over it as this guitar is a lifer for me.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:13 AM

Talking

I prefer buying used, but when I found my 414ce(or when it found me...) for my 40th birthday this year, I was lucky to get it NOS, so I paid 3/4 the full price,which is how much I'd seen my 2010 model selling for used,but got a new guitar,with the warranty, and it's already got a nicely aged top. Just beautiful sounding too.
I've named it 'the patient guitar' as it's got a pretty cool story behind it. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I can't buy a guitar unless it's used, beat up, scratched, dinged, needs work, etc...I'm a player so buying a shiny new guitar and keeping it in museum condition just isn't me.

The last brand new guitar I bought was a Fender Strat when I was 18 (I'm 43 now). Anyone else exclusively attracted to used guitars?
I love guitars with lots of mojo as well. On the other hand, Mark Hatcher didn't have an option for a pre-mojoed guitar so I'll have to add that part myself.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion