The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Default Bar chording by a fool.

I was playing something this morning. Something that had me go from f#7 to bm to em to bm. I have noticed before that I never hit the last bm listed here incorrectly. So I thought about it while I played. Sometimes my bm can be sloppy or forced. When I play that last bm I noticed I was putting my fingers down and then barring the fret maybe this is the way it should always have been done. In practice I note I usually bar and then put my fingers down.
So now I am making a conscious effort to put my fingers down first and then bar the fret all the time because it seems to work better and sound clear consistently every time.

Your thoughts/experiences to shared?

-- if you are wondering if a thread is dead just check to see if Raebrek was the last person to post. That is usually a pretty good sign. --

Raebrek!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Do what works. I put the index and other fingers on at the same time. However, if I were to divide the finger placement timing on the Em to Bm chord change I would place the index last because it sounds better and, to me, seems less awkward.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 AM

Pre planning the change can help.

For instance, when you play the Eminor, (which I assume you are playing in the open position and not up at the 7th fret), try using the third and fourth fingers of your left hand (instead of the normal 2nd and 3rd fingers). That *should* make the transition to the Bminor bar chord on the second fret a little easier. The third and fourth fingers just have to move up two frets and down to the next pair of strings.

Alternatively, look at different voicings - perhaps play the Eminor as a bar on the 7th fret?? Then the transition to the Bminor is pretty easy, as you can stay on the 7th fret and play the Bm bar chord there without removing your first finger bar at all?
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:55 AM

Even after nearly 5 years of playing daily, I still hit about 50% of barre chords slightly sloppy. When pros would get sloppy, Vince Lombardi would say "basics, basics, basics" and no one was a better teacher... so, back to basics. Guitar Rule #1 is "go slow to go fast", thus the most basic element of learning and improving... even this intense level of focus has failed to make my barre chords perfect, but I keep on trying and believing and refuse to accept the sloppiness. Bit by bit, I continue to improve. This is definitely a long term game.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 AM

Cool Barre chording

Many of us have picked up little "tricks" along our journey, such as you just described. I made a conscious decision to form most of my open chords with fingers 2, 3 & 4, and because of this, barre chording became much easier, due to muscle memory. I also roll my index finger slightly when I form barre chords, which allows me to apply slightly more pressure, resulting in clean, clear notes.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Many of us have picked up little "tricks" along our journey, such as you just described. I made a conscious decision to form most of my open chords with fingers 2, 3 & 4, and because of this, barre chording became much easier, due to muscle memory. I also roll my index finger slightly when I form barre chords, which allows me to apply slightly more pressure, resulting in clean, clear notes.

Glen
Hi Glenn...

I call those "Aha!" Moments. They are important to mastering 'life' (not just guitar)

Having taught guitar for nearly 40 years, it's been fun tracking students as they transition between learning a new technique, mastering it, then tweaking it so it's musical.

PS We'll be in your city this week for a few days (seeing grandkids). 10-26-14

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 AM

Cool Barre chording

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
PS We'll be in your city this week for a few days (seeing grandkids). 10-26-14
Larry, if you have any extra time, I would really enjoy meeting you for coffee! My telephone number is 763-535-1957. Call me.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Practice and time should lead to simultaneous transition, at least that's how it evolved for me where all fingers of the shape fret at the same time. Having said this, if I'm trying to play an unfamiliar or seldom played chord shape, then the process can likely be as the OP described until muscle memory eventually kicks in.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

If it isn't a really fast tune, you could get away with putting down the barre first, starting with the bass B and then lay down the rest of the chord, but the time of all this happening is within an instant, the rest of the barre and the rest of the fingering really go down at the same time. Just getting the bass note first gives you that extra split second to play the rest of the chord. (old guy posting so take this with a grain of salt. )

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default barre

I'm in the same boat: The quality of my barre is significantly better if I put fingers first, however, there are times that it makes sense to use the barre first.
As with many things on the guitar, there are NO UNBREAKABLE RULES.
Got to 'go with the flow'.
Nonetheless, practice is the ONLY method to change or confirm anything.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
there are NO UNBREAKABLE RULES.
Hi Kapuna...

A lot of things guitarists call rules, aren't...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If it isn't a really fast tune, you could get away with putting down the barre first, starting with the bass B and then lay down the rest of the chord, but the time of all this happening is within an instant, the rest of the barre and the rest of the fingering really go down at the same time. Just getting the bass note first gives you that extra split second to play the rest of the chord. (old guy posting so take this with a grain of salt. )
I should make an exception. If I am playing a piece that is mostly bar chords then the bar stays and just changes positions. I guess I only meant when changing from open to bar chords. I guess I mucked that up a bit.

-- if you are wondering if a thread is dead just check to see if Raebrek was the last person to post. That is usually a pretty good sign. --

Raebrek!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Kapuna...

A lot of things guitarists call rules, aren't...

Is there a rule for that? 😄

Raebrek!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion