The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Tour

Just caught Jackson Browne's solo acoustic show down in Bakersfield last night. What a feast for acoustic guitar lovers. He had 17 guitars on a rack center stage, directly behind him.

He uses the Trance Audio Amulet system in his guitars, and I now understand why. Absolutely glorious amplified tone in every instrument.

The vast majority of the guitars were Gibsons. I was slightly (very slightly) disappointed in the new J.Browne model Gibson. To my ears it was not the star of the show. To me, the pick of the litter was a Martin D-41 (sunburst, which I've never seen before on a D-41).

Great show. He's a wonderful song writer with a vast catalog of material. He claims to not be working from a set list, instead just picking tunes off the top of his head, and then hunting for the right guitar (or electric piano) to play on that tune. Great singer, although his voice seemed a little raspy. And pretty darned good guitarist as well. Obviously no one is going to get to hear all of their favorites, but it was a very generous 2 1/2 hour show, and I doubt anyone walked away feeling less than satisfied.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM

He's a gargantuan talent. One of my favorites from the very beginning.

Tom
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Saw his previous solo acoustic tour here in N.E. Fl.; it was wonderful and as ususal J.B. was very introspective when he spoke to the audience and about certain individual songs. At this show he played what he called one of his old favorite acoustics which was an Epiphone, but I can't recall the model. Very intimate setting, good song selection, great sound, wonderful player.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglejem View Post
I was slightly (very slightly) disappointed in the new J.Browne model Gibson. To my ears it was not the star of the show.
I just got my new Musicians Friend catalog, and Gibson appears to be VERY proud of them, esp the model A.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Some of his stuff is a little depressing, but Jackson's best songs are some of my favorite songs. From what I've read, the pickups he uses are similar to the old FRAP pickups. From what I've read, placement of those pickups is critical but Jackson's guitar tech has outfitted many guitars with them and has that critical placement down. I thought about trying them, but I'm going to stick with K&K. Just ordered two sets of the Pure Minis - one set for my Taylor and one set for my new Blueridge BR-163.

Here's a little Tech Talk from Jackson Browne from this link http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...e/jan-06/16594 :

Question: How do you amplify your acoustics?
Answer: I use a pickup and a mic. The pickup is called the Lens from Trance Audio. There are two pieces to the pickup: one that goes under the treble strings and one for the bass strings. It’s tricky to find exactly the right spot for both parts. Bill Asher, who works on my guitars, has gotten really good at finding the sweet spot. We’ve made peace with the installation process and I think it’s worth it.

This Trance pickup is inspired by the original Frap pickup from the ’60s and ’70s. I learned about the Frap from Neil Young. We did a gig together and I thought my sound was pretty good until I heard him. I couldn’t believe how big and loud and true his guitar sounded.

So I use the Lens system in all my guitars. There’s a special 5-pin cord that comes out of the guitar into their preamp. Then I plug into a Clark Technics stereo EQ. That allows me to balance both sides of the Lens pickup and balance my levels for strumming or fingerpicking. When I play solo, I also use a mic—a Neumann KM 184—pointed where the neck joins the body.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM

What would be phenomenal would be a show with Jackson and David Lindley together, just the two of them.

I have a feeling that the whole would be much greater than the sum of the parts ...
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM

I caught the show a few years back when he started it while I was attending an expo in Providence. Found tix on CL day before..great show in a small audortorioum...many guitars in open tunings...excellent shows...can't recommend them enough
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
What would be phenomenal would be a show with Jackson and David Lindley together, just the two of them.

I have a feeling that the whole would be much greater than the sum of the parts ...
Yep...I'd buy that ticket in a flash.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post

They toured together just last year — my wife surprised me with tickets to the show and it was wonderful. The first half of the show was just JB and DL together with their acoustics.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Wow, Guth, great picture.

I corresponded with David Lindley many years ago, he has a Scottish ancestry with his roots not far from my own homeland.

He expressed interest at that time in re-visiting his roots, but somehow we never did get anything finalized.

The internet was in its infancy at that time however, maybe we could get something organized now.

Jackson Browne and David Lindley in Auchtermuchty Town Hall ....???
Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Saw his previous solo acoustic tour here in N.E. Fl.; it was wonderful and as ususal J.B. was very introspective when he spoke to the audience and about certain individual songs. At this show he played what he called one of his old favorite acoustics which was an Epiphone, but I can't recall the model. Very intimate setting, good song selection, great sound, wonderful player.
I just saw that he is playing the Florida Theater in Jax, May 24th. Tickets went on sale Friday. Where did you see him on the last tour?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

His solo acoustic music is among my favorites...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I saw him a year or so ago in a small venue. It was great. I guess he has now added the JB sig model guitar, because when I saw him, he had 16 guitars on stage, not 17. Yep, most were Gibsons. He has really good sound.

I think he is one of the best singer-songwriters in history. Do yourself a favor, especially since this is an acoustic guitar forum... buy this 2-cd solo acoustic set... you will not be disappointed...

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Acoustic-...ref=pd_sim_m_3

Very few people on the planet can write and perform such good music with just a guitar or a piano.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglejem View Post
Just caught Jackson Browne's solo acoustic show down in Bakersfield last night...Great show. ...a very generous 2 1/2 hour show, and I doubt anyone walked away feeling less than satisfied.
Thanks for the p-review, junglejem. I have tix for the 3/9 show at Thousand Oaks Performing Arts Center. Really looking forward to it.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Here is a pic of his guitar rack...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion