The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Pedals go in-line with the guitar. Guitar-pedals-amp (unless the amp has an FX loop, which I don't believe the blues jr does). No extra input needed.

A tube guitar amp isn't meant to have a microphone plug in to it, and doesn't sound good doing so. The amp and speaker are not tuned to the frequency ranges for it. The only exception is blues harmonica, which sounds great through a tube amp with a "bullet" mic. You just don't amplify vocals with a guitar amp.
I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist that will do just fine with a mixer and mics using the Aux input.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 09-04-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist that will do just fine with a mixer and mics using the Aux input.
The Loudbox is not a tube amp. Practically all acoustic amps are tuned to have a frequency response that is very similar to that of a PA, not at all like a guitar amp, which is why the vocals sound good.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Neither. Both are production amps belched out in factories. While you might get a decent one, they hard board wiring and other things usually end up needing to be fixed at some near point later.

Mesa Boogie makes amazing stuff, all hand-wired with floating leads so the board doesn't disconnect so easily when moved around. Just so many other reasons why a hand-wired boutique amp is light years ahead of any factory amp.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM

And what's the cheapest combo that Boogie makes, $1300? I'm not 'current' with amp prices but I think that's pretty close. They do make great stuff, with legendary clean tone. It's also affordable and worth it IMO if you're using it professionally. If you're looking for a nice amp to futz with in the $500 range I think Fender is more realistic, unless you want to try plugging directly into a Boogie cabinet.

There is mountains of hotly contested debate over hand wired, point to point, PC boards, etc. etc. I could not begin to speak with any authority on it though I can tell you from the stand point of working on an amp it's a heck of a lot easier to deal with something that's hand wired as opposed to something with a circuit board. At least in my limited experience.

I did think this was pretty funny though.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonz View Post
Neither. Both are production amps belched out in factories. While you might get a decent one, they hard board wiring and other things usually end up needing to be fixed at some near point later.

Mesa Boogie makes amazing stuff, all hand-wired with floating leads so the board doesn't disconnect so easily when moved around. Just so many other reasons why a hand-wired boutique amp is light years ahead of any factory amp.
You may be right. I currently have over 20 amps, some for sale, some used daily, some closet kings. I've had some of them since 1968.
I've owned 9 different Mesa Boogies, and I've never seen any other brand that is as unreliable. Currently I use a Subway Blues, a Heartbreaker, and a Blue Angel. On one particular night last year, 3 Mesa's, in our studio, quit on the same evening, although they were all used the night before. That was rather embarrassing. They sound really great when their tuned up, but compared to Fenders/Marshalls (IMO) they're undependable.
With regard to hand wiring, I just traded an old blackface Fender Princeton for a new Carr Skylark, based on the old Fender Harvard model. It's by far the best small amp I've ever heard. And I've long been one who favored vintage over new.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You may be right. I currently have over 20 amps, some for sale, some used daily, some closet kings. I've had some of them since 1968.
I've owned 9 different Mesa Boogies, and I've never seen any other brand that is as unreliable. Currently I use a Subway Blues, a Heartbreaker, and a Blue Angel. On one particular night last year, 3 Mesa's, in our studio, quit on the same evening, although they were all used the night before. That was rather embarrassing. They sound really great when their tuned up, but compared to Fenders/Marshalls (IMO) they're undependable.
With regard to hand wiring, I just traded an old blackface Fender Princeton for a new Carr Skylark, based on the old Fender Harvard model. It's by far the best small amp I've ever heard. And I've long been one who favored vintage over new.
You did WHAT?

I suppose if you have around 20 amps ...... but an old Fender Princeton Reverb.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
The Loudbox is not a tube amp. Practically all acoustic amps are tuned to have a frequency response that is very similar to that of a PA, not at all like a guitar amp, which is why the vocals sound good.
Exactly. "Acoustic" amps are basically small self-contained PA systems. A tube electric guitar amp is completely different. You don't want your vocals overdriving into even-order harmonics as you turn up the volume knob!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
You did WHAT?

Speaking as another one who was around when those old amps were new amps, I'm not too upset; unlike guitars - where you just can't get quarter-sawn straight-grain Brazilian, fifty-line zero-runout Adirondack, or flame maple that's been air-dried over thirty years, period - an enterprising builder can suss out the necessary schematics/parts to build a clone of virtually any amp made since 1950, and to an arguably higher standard than many of the highly-touted vintage boxes (yeah, there were plenty of duds back then too - I played enough of them). I look at it this way: if there's someone out there who'll give that old Princeton a good home, and he's as happy as he seems to be with his new acquisition, it's a win-win situation all around...

Something that's long piqued my curiosity, BTW: whenever conversation turns to amps old or new, the debate inevitably seems to center around Fender/Marshall (and occasionally Vox). There's a whole bunch of equally valid voices both old and new out there, gentlemen - witness not only the proliferation of boutique and alternative mass-market (VHT, Jet City, Egnater, Bugera, etc.) brands, but the revival of Magnatone and Supro after a half-century hiatus - and a breadth of options unparalleled since the dawn of the electric guitar era, just waiting for those who have the creativity and confidence to break from the crowd. Frankly, I've been hoping for years that some knowledgeable builder has the 'nads to take on some of those classic Ampeg designs; given their significant market presence (especially here in the Northeast US) during the '60s/70s - amp guru Ritchie Fliegler justly refers to them as "the other great American amp company" - I'm surprised nobody's gone that route...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking as another one who was around when those old amps were new amps, I'm not too upset; unlike guitars - where you just can't get quarter-sawn straight-grain Brazilian, fifty-line zero-runout Adirondack, or flame maple that's been air-dried over thirty years, period - an enterprising builder can suss out the necessary schematics/parts to build a clone of virtually any amp made since 1950, and to an arguably higher standard than many of the highly-touted vintage boxes (yeah, there were plenty of duds back then too - I played enough of them). I look at it this way: if there's someone out there who'll give that old Princeton a good home, and he's as happy as he seems to be with his new acquisition, it's a win-win situation all around...

Something that's long piqued my curiosity, BTW: whenever conversation turns to amps old or new, the debate inevitably seems to center around Fender/Marshall (and occasionally Vox). There's a whole bunch of equally valid voices both old and new out there, gentlemen - witness not only the proliferation of boutique and alternative mass-market (VHT, Jet City, Egnater, Bugera, etc.) brands, but the revival of Magnatone and Supro after a half-century hiatus - and a breadth of options unparalleled since the dawn of the electric guitar era, just waiting for those who have the creativity and confidence to break from the crowd. Frankly, I've been hoping for years that some knowledgeable builder has the 'nads to take on some of those classic Ampeg designs; given their significant market presence (especially here in the Northeast US) during the '60s/70s - amp guru Ritchie Fliegler justly refers to them as "the other great American amp company" - I'm surprised nobody's gone that route...
You are right of course. (Just about anything purchased brand new is mostly going to sound, drive or perform better than its original counterpart, but it doesn't stop people like me from appreciating and wanting to own "old" whether that be guitars or amps ..... particularly old Fender Amps).

You're right also in that there is so much quality and variety to choose from when it comes to amps these days. (However I have a hard time taking off my Fender goggles).
Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 PM

Indeed. Vintage Gibson amps like the GA15 (aka Trace Elliot Velocette) deserve to be remembered - and played, often . Then there's a whole bunch of modern "boutique" amp-makers like Matchless, Dr Z, Divided by 13, Bad Cat, Reeves, Suhr and many others.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM

MAGNATONE!! I'm in <3! I suppose Selmer would be too much to hope for?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
You did WHAT?

I had it a very long time, it had some serious cosmetic issues, and never sounded as good as my other Fenders, even w/ some serious tech maneuvers.
I was thrilled to get something I'll use and pass on something I very rarely used.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Dang it I've ... I can scarcely bring myself to say this... I've never listened to Paul Butterfield. You Tube here I come!

I usually don't pay much attention to how 'hot' a performer is, with some exceptions... still I'm guessing they're better groomed than Jethro Tull?
I don't think he was using the word "hot" (to describe the Paul Butterfield Blues Band) the way you seem to be using it.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 AM

Default Super Champ X2?

Any one here have experience with the Fender Super Champ X2 15W tube amp ? They have 1 pre-amp tube and 2 power tubes. I haven't seen one in person as of yet, but am thinking it to be a better option than Marshals DSL 5C and with much more under the hood.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
I don't think he was using the word "hot" (to describe the Paul Butterfield Blues Band) the way you seem to be using it.
I wondered about that, especially no knowing the gender or tastes of the person. I couldn't see another context though so kind of probing that one out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars