The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
You have three basic string type choices for the trebles (the three unwound strings):

1. nylon
2. carbon
3. titanium

And each comes in different tensions (tension is directly related to string thickness, thicker = higher tension). So, for example, the strings in the D'Addario Pro Arte high tension EJ46 set are the identical materials as used in the medium tension EJ45 set, but all the strings are a little bit thicker. (a side note, you cannot neccessarily equate tension descriptors between brands, in other words, if you were to measure the absolute force of the D'Addario Pro Arte high tension EJ46 set it would be about the same as the force as the Hannabach medium tension 815 set)

If you are not happy with the D'Addario EJ51 set, or if you just want to experiment, try a set of carbon strings next. While there are minor differences in sound between brands of nylon strings, there is a much greater difference in sound when you switch string types, e.g., nylon to carbon. Carbon strings are thinner than nylon for a given tension, so they will feel different. Carbon strings are generally brighter sounding and have longer sustain than nylon. Titanium strings are more like nylon in their thickness for a given tension, and their sound is approximately in between that of nylon and carbon. Actually, they sound a lot like nylon to me but just have a little extra "ping" on the top end in the initial attack.

No need to get all OCD on strings if you are just starting out. Better to put your energies into learning how to play the crazy instrument!

Great info topped off with excellent advice. Thank you.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM

After 3 days or so with the Genius strings, I'm liking them a bit. The G is a bit brighter - I think this is a phobia with me, trying to value the G string, and maybe overlooking the other 5. I'm realizing that is what I've done to a degree, and now that I'm aware, I'll focus better on the whole set.
All the sets that I've used and listed in previous posts are not bad whatsoever. They are good, decent strings. But again, the Savarez stood out.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Thank you very much.
I'm no stranger to becoming fixated on something like "Is this G string 'tubby'?," so kudos to you.
My used nylon-strung guitar arrived yesterday, and so far, I'm enjoying it a great deal.
Purists, turn your head, for you won't be able to un-see this, but--though this is a stock photo--here's the guitar in question.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
Thank you very much.
I'm no stranger to becoming fixated on something like "Is this G string 'tubby'?," so kudos to you.
My used nylon-strung guitar arrived yesterday, and so far, I'm enjoying it a great deal.
Purists, turn your head, for you won't be able to un-see this, but--though this is a stock photo--here's the guitar in question.

I would start with carbon strings. Something like this: https://www.stringsbymail.com/classi...15v1ol9upapl03
Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
I would start with carbon strings. Something like this: https://www.stringsbymail.com/classi...15v1ol9upapl03

Thank you very much for the advice and the link.
I will buy a set soon--that is, if watching YouTube nylon string comparison videos (in which people play guitar so beautifully) doesn't make me set fire to my guitar.
I do have a set of these on the way. What do you think?
http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p35...ht-540arj.html
Old 09-06-2015, 09:20 PM

Coming from steel string background my classical teacher told me to try these:

http://www.ostriemusicsupplies.com/mari200ph.htm

They were the end of my string search.

Even though they say hard tension they are like mediums in other brands.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minexploration View Post
Coming from steel string background my classical teacher told me to try these:

http://www.ostriemusicsupplies.com/mari200ph.htm

They were the end of my string search.

Even though they say hard tension they are like mediums in other brands.
I've bookmarked the link, and I give you my thanks.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
I do have a set of these on the way. What do you think?
http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p35...ht-540arj.html
Excellent choice. A number of years ago I had problems with the 1st string in that set, poor intonation, but I believe the problem has been solved.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Smile

Restringing with nylon strings is, while not difficult, more work than a steel string or electric, easier if you are already familiar with slotheads. If it seems tedious, take heart, because it gets much easier with practice.

Whatever strings you choose, expect them to keep going flat on you as you tune them up. If you try to stretch them out by pulling up from the 12th fret, they will likely stretch unevenly, throwing the intonation off. I did this with the first string change on my Pono. I now tune them up a little sharp and let the strings stretch slowly over 4-5 days until they settle.

While I am not a purist, I think your Ltd looks cool, and is an obvious selection for someone with an electric guitar background. I wouldn't mind having one to plug in, myself.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
Restringing with nylon strings is, while not difficult, more work than a steel string or electric, easier if you are already familiar with slotheads. If it seems tedious, take heart, because it gets much easier with practice.

Whatever strings you choose, expect them to keep going flat on you as you tune them up. If you try to stretch them out by pulling up from the 12th fret, they will likely stretch unevenly, throwing the intonation off. I did this with the first string change on my Pono. I now tune them up a little sharp and let the strings stretch slowly over 4-5 days until they settle.

While I am not a purist, I think your Ltd looks cool, and is an obvious selection for someone with an electric guitar background. I wouldn't mind having one to plug in, myself.
Thank you very much for your truly excellent response.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default GG- what strings did you end up with for your Pono?

Just got mine and I'm looking for string suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
Having played a steel, 6 string for over 35 years, I purchased a nylon stringed crossover last April. I am still bouncing between brands/tensions, trying to find the best combination for tone and playability. Even more so than for steel stringed acoustics (and electrics, perhaps), the variety the different brands offer boggles the mind.

As mentioned earlier, d'Addario Pro Arte nylon, medium tension is a good place to begin. They offer traditional design and materials, and are a popular tension choice from a well established and respected manufacturer.

As you experiment you will find a tension feel that suits you and hopefully the brand/selection that produces the sound that pleases you the most. With any luck it might only take you, let's say, a couple years?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM

Smile

Scott, the Pono N-30DC came fitted with D'Addario EJ-30 traditional, normal tension strings. I thought they sounded bland and felt way too soft, especially since I'm used to steel strings.

Keep in mind that I am still searching for the best sound and feel, for me, but this is what I have tried, and my impression, so far.

I first swapped them out for Savarez 540J, hard tension with carbon trebles. completely different sound and feel. Nice clear bass and crisp bright trebles, but too stiff and difficult for me to bar cleanly, especially the upper frets.

Next came the same set in a normal tension, 540R. Same sound, maybe a hair more treble sustain, a little easier to play. I liked them and may go back.

Savarez 520R, red card, normal/high tension, are on currently. I tried them earlier and came back for comparison sake. I like them.

In between the Savarez sets I tried D'Addario Pro-Arte EJ45 normal tension, and EJ46 hard tension. Both nice sets. Nice price. Available at GC for an easy impulse buy. Not terribly bright sounding. I think I preferred the feel of EJ46's. I may give them another try.

One set I tried that I absolutely did not like we're the Pro-Arte Dynacore with titanium compound trebles, hard tension, EJ46TT. Trebles were very bright, which I think compliments the full sound of the Pono, but to me they also seemed to sound kind of edgy/harsh, and I prefer a sweeter treble sound.

Sound and playability are really personal preferences, and selections out there are a smorgasbord. I am certainly not done searching, and may try La Bella's next. One thing is certain, I don't care for a string that is either too soft/sloppy or too stiff.

Also, I have found, it takes at least a week for the strings to settle in to their true sound/feel.

Enjoy the search.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 AM

My favourites are the D'addario EJ-45FF. These are normal tension with carbon trebles. They are brighter than the EJ-45 (nylon trebles) strings, but are still warm and don't have a metallic twang to them. The EJ-45FF strings cost about $17 a set in Canada. They last a long time.

Another good choice is the low-tension Augustine Classic/Black. They are inexpensive ($8 a set), are warm sounding and slightly easier to play clean barres near the nut because of their lower tension. I hear a slight metallic twang to the high e string that bugs me, so I've now switched to using the EJ-45FFs. They last about half as long as the EJ-45FF strings; the D string tends to go first.

Another good choice is the D'addario EJ-45C. These are the same strings as the EJ-45, except for the composite G-string - which, in my opinion, sounds much better than the nylon G-string. They are around $13 a set in Canada.

The best strings I've used are probably the Hannabach 950. The depth of the bass strings was impressive. They are higher tension, especially on the wound strings. They are also more expensive (I bought a set for $23 euros, but I see they are $18 USD on Strings By Mail).
Old 09-16-2015, 05:29 PM

The Genius trebles came in after a couple of days, and for several days, the whole set sounded pretty, pretty good. I was tickled. But a day or two later, it seemed that the bass strings didn't sound very good.
I'm going to get another set and see if maybe I "invented" that perception. And it's not a far stretch for me to do that, I promise. So don't avoid them due to that. I played them a lot those 3 "great sounding days".
But Sat or so, I put on the Aranjuez set. Nothing to report on them yet. Haven't played a lot on them at all.

EDIT: I'm not liking these Aranjuez strings at all. They feel more low tensioned than the other 3 sets. The G string isn't as bright as I'd like. Just ordered some of the Genius treble strings to put with a set of Savarez bass strings, and see if they sound good together. Another full set of Savarez, and thought I'd add some high tension Savarez 520R strings. I have a feeling that this could be a long, expensive experiment. Will keep baby busy and distracted with other things.

Last edited by naccoachbob; 09-17-2015 at 07:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical