The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Tom, well I gotta say that you guys all outdid yourselves on this one. This guitar has a lot of cool stuff, but in reality it is the wood choices and wood treatments that speak the most to me. Tom, that headstock wood is really cool, and I love the back and sides a TON. Congrats on a beautiful build!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Smile Oh my goodness....

Everything about this axe is absolutly BEAUTIFUL!

I LOVE THE BRIDGE, but it all is astounding! Way to go Kinnaird West, and congrats to Tom!

And, of course the sound and playability will rival its pinup looks! It is a Kinnaird.

Now to clean up all the drool...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

An awesome build, Tom!! Love the end of the fretboard, along with so many other wonderful details on this guitar.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 AM

Congrats Tom! Another instrument soon in your stable. And I know it's not ending here! looking forward to the sound clips and your thoughts on this one!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Tom (and team nacogdoches) congrats...
Thank you Bob, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
The word is overused on this forum over and over but in my mind very appropriate for this guitar. STUNNING in every respect! My goodness Tom. What a gorgeous specimen. The elements work so well together. They look like they were made for each other. Wow!

I can't wait to hear it but given what we already know about the prowess of Kinnaird West I'm sure we are in for a treat.

Congrats Tom and Steve and Ryan !!!!
Thanks Dennis, it is nice to be able to do a build and just worry about the looks and design and never have to worry about the sound because that is a given. It will sound great. That is one of the best things with Steve and Ryan, it will sound great, so focus on the aesthetics without worry! I can't wait to see yours come together soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Absolutely beautiful, Tom! Really happy for you and how well this came together!

Can't wait until it's in your hands and you get to play that first strum!

Kudos to Steve and Ryan--fantastic works as always!
Thank so much, yes, I can't wait either. Will be a couple of weeks as I will not be home to get delivery next week so it will be killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Very nice indeed. Very tastefully done. Its a looker and of course it will sound great.
Thanks, Scottish themed guitars are my thing lately haha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Gorgeous instrument! Congratulations Tom (and Steve and Ryan)! I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like....

beth
Thank you Beth, the sound clip may be here tonight if you want to check back in!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Tom, well I gotta say that you guys all outdid yourselves on this one. This guitar has a lot of cool stuff, but in reality it is the wood choices and wood treatments that speak the most to me. Tom, that headstock wood is really cool, and I love the back and sides a TON. Congrats on a beautiful build!
Thanks a lot Mike. This all started with the woods. I think of all the choices you have to make along the way, bindings, purflings, in this one, bridge woods, then I remember asking for the maple border on the neck lams, then as you mentioned the headstock, the back veneer was so simple and beautiful, but the front was funny. It was an ugly piece of wood at one point when sanded, I really thought I had screwed up, then Steve put some finish on it and boom, then we worried about the sapwood at the top and how the logo would work, Steve used silver for that as well to match the neck stuff and boom again, it looks like the sapwood was designed to house the logo! So it is really rewarding on this one to see all the choices ending up working so well. And yes, isn't that SE Asian Rosewood pretty?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Everything about this axe is absolutly BEAUTIFUL!

I LOVE THE BRIDGE, but it all is astounding! Way to go Kinnaird West, and congrats to Tom!

And, of course the sound and playability will rival its pinup looks! It is a Kinnaird.

Now to clean up all the drool...

Cheers

Paul
Thank Paul, I really like that Amazon RW bridge also. We went through about 3 or 4 different choices there, but I think we ended up with the right one. Steve pushed me toward that one for sure. And then with the center lamination for the neck being Amazon as well, that works really well and the grain of that is really something I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
An awesome build, Tom!! Love the end of the fretboard, along with so many other wonderful details on this guitar.
Thanks Mike, we really have to get together again so you can play it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Congrats Tom! Another instrument soon in your stable. And I know it's not ending here! looking forward to the sound clips and your thoughts on this one!
Thanks Marcus. I am watching your new one as well. It is going to be great. Thanks for checking in. I can't wait to hear this one also!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:43 AM

You know, it occurred to me as I was thinking about this build that we all tend to promote our luthiers when we have a big build going on. I mean why would we not. It is natural when investing this much of yourself, your time, your money, that you want to believe the guys working for you are the best. Great luthiers, great people. If you don't have that, I think the build means a whole lot less and once the guitar has arrived, I don't think it will mean as much to you.

So on that note, if I have seemed to be over the top at all with my praise for Steve and Ryan, that is the reason. I am not going to apologize for it, because I believe everything I have said in all four of my build threads with them (2 guitars, two threads each).

We are soon to post some sound clips of this new SE Asian, Lutz, Kinnaird deep body OM for you to hear. What got me thinking all of this philosophical stuff, is unintentional or not, all the "promotion" in the threads comes down to this...Put in some headphones and just listen to this guitar ...mike drop. I won't need to say anymore other than I really appreciate this aspect of the build, that Steve will give the new guitar a good run through for everyone. In the audio, I believe the guitar has been strung up for 3 days.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Really looking forward to the audio sample!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Got my headphone ready to go.......
Look forward to hearing this build.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Yes, sorry, the raw audio is done and Ryan sent it to me, but he wanted to edit it down to a few songs without the tuning breaks hahaha. They must have gotten really busy as I was expecting it yesterday, but hold on it is worth it. This baby sounds GREAT!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah sorry everyone. I got busy Thursday then was surprised with a weekend trip with the wife. I'll get it up tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay. Maybe I could just hum a bar or two...

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to hearing it, Tom, and a get-together would be fantastic!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, here's the long awaited sound clips. These are still one takes simply recorded with no real editing, so keep that in mind. Having sat through a lot of Steve's recording sessions, this guitar was one of my favorites to listen to. I hope you enjoy it as well. (best on headphones)

The first track is one of Tom's faves, an open G tuning of Randy Scruggs' version of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now. Then two nice fingerstyle songs that fit under the hand well, and the last is the hymn that Paul Simon used as the backing to his American Tune.

Thanks for listening!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-22-2017, 10:35 PM

Default Fabulous: Tom, Steve and Ryan!

Terrific Tom, Steve and Ryan!

Fabulous instrument and yet another super collaboration!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 04-23-2017, 05:32 AM
Music soothes the soul!

What a warm sweet sounding instrument! Sounds like it has it all. Love the sustain. And that was at 3 days?

Very nice guys. Congrats to all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop