The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Default Pre-Loaded Strat Pickguard Suggestions

Suggestions wanted for a pre-loaded Strat pickguard. Jazz / blues style of music. Have wired many / built my own guitar, know how to do that.

Just looking for something that can be a quick upgrade over "basic" pickups on a strat that needs some work. thanks!
Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Depends a lot on the style you play and your budget. The cutting-edge option might be a David Gilmore active EMG set...about $300.00. I put a new set of Fender custom shop Texas Specials on one of my strats...really gets the SRV/Hendrix vibe. They have them on Amazon in just about every conceivable color (I went tortoise)...about $200.00.

Lots of other options...depending.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm hoping to find something that does jazz and blues equally well... I'm not at all interested in a heavy metal sound – (not that you were suggesting as such) just clarifying the tonal range I want to achieve. I normally use my hand wired Vox AC 15 AMP.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Well we all have our own description of what Jazz/Blues compatible means.

To me, it means low output vintage style pickups. If it means the same to you, unless the word "Texas" is in the name of your pickups, you aren't going to do much better than what's in your guitar already.

Change is not only sometimes unnecessary, it can be a very bad thing. So plug in your guitar to an amp that is pristine clean, and go through the switching on your strat and play some jazz. Use all the knobs on the guitar in every combination.

Then take that amp to the edge of breakup and play some blues. Again use all the knobs on the guitar in every combination.

Then back off on the volume knob on the guitar and play some jazz again without changing the amp. Again use all the knobs on the guitar in every combination.

I bet your guitar will sound great.

Not saying this describes you, but a lot of people start tinkering with the gear when their playing stalls. We all stall. We all get discouraged. Dropping money into the guitar won't break through that wall. Buy a used Lesson DVD on the style of one of your heroes off Ebay. That'll make anyone's guitar sound better than new pickups.

If none of what I just said applies to you, I recommend a good set of "vintage" style pickups. Perhaps if it's your thing modify to have the tone knob work on the bridge if it doesn't already. Probably not a bad idea for jazz guy.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Another thing to try would be a compressor to fatten up the clean tone, give it some warmth/sustain and strat-spank. Used Boss CS-3's are about 50 bucks on Reverb...been using mine for years.

Those clean tones, in particular, are a little hard to articulate without a some dynamics control.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Thanks/ very good advice! I have done numerous mods - including the one you suggested, which works quite nicely. thanks again. Will
Old 10-19-2016, 03:04 PM

will: here is a good start for you--the seymour duncan site.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickups...s/stratocaster

however, with your knowledge, you could probably do better by purchasing the parts separately.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM

Thanks for that compliment mike! I have done quite a lot of work similar to (and including) 'building up pickguards / swapping them out / and doing mods myself. Sometimes the idea of basically getting away with "plug and play" does seem appealing....
Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Thanks for that compliment mike! I have done quite a lot of work similar to (and including) 'building up pickguards / swapping them out / and doing mods myself. Sometimes the idea of basically getting away with "plug and play" does seem appealing....
Well a lot of people agree with you. Search prewired strat harness and your computer may explode!

I myself once bought a loaded G&L Comanche pickguard. It was super cool to be able to go back and forth between the original S500 and the comanche pickguard with just a handful of screws and a couple solder joints. I probably did it 5 or 6 times.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 PM

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/col...ded-pickguards
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 PM

I nominate Benson Custom to add to your list of companies to check out. I put his Warm '63s in my CV60 strat and all the tones are nice. Easier on the wallet that some of the high end companies out there.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Regarding low-gain sweetness, this is an interesting and informative clip on how to get David Gilmour's sound on a modest budget.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM

My son had a pup go bad on his strat. He ended up putting Seymour Duncan SSL-1s on the entire guitar. Sound like a strat should sound.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM

My HSS Fender Strat:

Fender Bright White Pickguard: $25
Fender Bright White Knobs / Bar & Switch Tip $5
Suhr Bright White Pete Thorn "Thornbucker" Plus Bridge Humbucker $104
Suhr Bright White V60LP Middle Pickup $80
Suhr Bright White V60LP Neck Pickup $80
Obsidian Solderless Wiring Harness w/CTS 250K Pots, Russian Wiring, Treble Bleed Kit / Blend Knob $89

Loaded Pickguard Total: $383

A Suhr Strat costs around $3000 and I have a total of $813 wrapped up into my HSS Fender Strat. I copied Pete Thorn's Suhr HSS S-type guitar after hearing his Line 6 Helix review on YouTube. He played it last night in his latest pedal demo too.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM

You could stick a couple of Mini-buckers in a Strat guard & get a great jazz tone. Allparts Minis sound great & not too $. I've put many Teles (a la '52 RI Hod Rod) together w/ them & a Strat or two. You would need body routs for the mini's though?

Last edited by Mad Rose; 11-04-2016 at 09:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars