The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 AM

I've got a set of the AKGs largely because of the recommendations here. Great headphones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
As a recording engineer I've been using one or another variant of the AKG 240s for thirty-five years. I've used many others but can tell you that the 240s are both the most physically comfortable and least aurally fatiguing phones I've used. I'd buy them for that application in a heartbeat.

Bob
This.

I've had the same pair for many years (10 maybe? More?). I've mixed many albums on my K240's, and if they break, I will buy another set.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 AM

GRADO SR60x. Made in Brooklyn. Not over bassy. Consumer Reports recommends Grado. On ear style so not noise cancelling. About $60. Their high end models are very popular with studio pros.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Default And the results are

I have one very happy son...or should I say he has very happy neighbors!! He absolutely loves the AKG240's. He talked to his neighbors and both stated that they couldn't hear anything

Thank you all for the suggestions/recommendations. I'm sure some of the others that were recommended are fine headsets, too. Just glad these worked out.

Vince
Old 10-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
This.

I've had the same pair for many years (10 maybe? More?). I've mixed many albums on my K240's, and if they break, I will buy another set.
By the way, you can buy new ear pads and inserts for the 240s. We have lots of ladies in the studio and that pretty much guarantees that there will be makeup and hair products all over them. I replace them every so often. Pads are HERE. Inserts HERE. The same is true for the Sony headphone parts, HERE. We keep a stock of parts for both.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
By the way, you can buy new ear pads and inserts for the 240s. We have lots of ladies in the studio and that pretty much guarantees that there will be makeup and hair products all over them. I replace them every so often. Pads are HERE. Inserts HERE. The same is true for the Sony headphone parts, HERE. We keep a stock of parts for both.

Bob
Thanks Bob! I will email the links to my son.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM

My personal approach is to buy whatever is on deep discount on Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day So get something now, and keep an eye out for the "next pair". In my experience one of the things you buy when you get really good (also generally really expensive) headphones is longevity.

I consider inexpensive ones relatively disposable. And I'm an older gentleman (as old as I've ever been anyway!) who doesn't abuse things. Younger folks will put more wear and tear on gear by virtue of having health and mental health issues like higher levels of "energy", "motivation", and "natural curiosity". It's a miracle they survive at all!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:59 PM

I've just been given a pair of Sony MDR-XB450's as a birthday present and they do the job very nicely.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
As a recording engineer I've been using one or another variant of the AKG 240s for thirty-five years. I've used many others but can tell you that the 240s are both the most physically comfortable and least aurally fatiguing phones I've used. I'd buy them for that application in a heartbeat.

Bob
The ones labelled K240 Sextett Studio Headphones seem to be cheaper. Not sure if these are different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars