The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Behringer B5 vs AKG P170 & Feedback problem

I play acoustic nylon guitar, with my band.
my guitar is Manuel Contreras F3 (Flamenco studio model)
I play Flamenco fusion with my band.
in my band the other instrument was, violin, cajon(percussion) acoustic string steel guitar, and electric bass.

Violin using microphone,
cajon using microphone,
nylon guitar using microphone,
string steel guitar plug to the amply
electric bass plug to the amply.

my plan is I will using external microphone system in every gig, from the condenser microphone connect to Behringer Ultragain MIC200.

so my question is :

After I check many option of Condenser Microphone for live stage application on the acoustic nylon guitar
following my budget, which one better between :

Behringer B5 and AKG P170 ?

as you can see those microphone have little bit different specs.
is there someone have experience using that microphone for acoustic nylon guitar in live stage application ?
if yes, can you give me an advice about those microphone.

based on my last gig, my friend borrow me Cardioid pencil condenser microphone(I am forgot the brand), Connect to behringer Ultragain MIC200. the situation is, I play on the outdoor 5m x 10m stage, the distance of every player around 1 meter more or less, and the speakers monitor around 2 meter on front of me.
the feedback comes when I pulled up the output control on my Behringer to 10 O'clock, then I pulled down to 9 O'clock but I can't hear my guitar sound clearly. so I try to doing coordination with the technician guy and the result was the same.
the microphone position was at 11 O'clock from my guitar hole (between hole and fret 12)
and the microphone distance around 15 cm.
based on my friend information who stay in the audience area,
he said he can hear my guitar sound clear and fine.
but I can't hear clearly my guitar sound from speakers monitor.

so the question is:
is there someone have a good advice to solve this problem based on your experience.

Thank you
Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 AM

Maybe you should consider an in-ear monitor. I recently purchased a P170 and it is pretty sensitive. If you crank the stage monitors up, you're just going to get feedback.

Or, you could try using a parametric eq or notch filter if you have one. In my home environment I've been able to remove some feedback that way.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM

In my experience feedback is the result of a combination of the following:

1. Mic type
2. Mic placement
3. Monitor placement
4. Mains placement
5. Stage volume

Any mic can be driven to feedback. Some are more resistant than others. Dynamic mics in general are more feedback resistant than condensers. It is important to understand your mic's pattern and keep everything except the sound you want out of that pattern. The mic should be placed correctly for the type and application. Don't place the mic where it will pick up sound from the mains or monitors (typically the biggest problem). Mains should be out in front of all the mics. Monitors need to be where you can hear them but your mic and instrument can't.

Stage volume is the number 1 cause of feedback in my gigging experience. I played a lot with a guy who had hearing damage. He cranked up the volume in the monitor wedge so high I couldn't get anywhere close to him playing my piezo equipped mandolin. Piezo's tend to be more feedback resistant than mics, but they also can be driven to feedback. I would place your monitor off the axis of your mic's pattern, and also such that it doesn't blast right on your guitar. The monitor sound will acoustically drive your guitar as well as reflect off it straight to the mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
flamenco guitar, live sound, microphone, natural sound, set up