The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Default Best Acoustic Amp under $500

I was and still am considering a battery powered amp like the Roland AC-33 but now that I've read about supplying power with and inverter and a deep cell marine battery, it opens up my choices for amps. I've never played an acoustic guitar plugged in and the ones I've heard always sounded horrible to me. I just ordered the K&K Meridian Pro and now need to choose an amp. It will be used for busking and possible small coffee house gigs. What do you all recommend under $500 as the best acoustic guitar amp?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Carvin AG200 ($425) or AG300 ($510). End of list!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 PM

+1 on the Carvin AG300...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
+1 on the Carvin AG300...
Thanks Ed & Steve.
Have either of you compared the Carvins to the Ultrasound DS4?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Carvin AG100, Carvin AG200 or Carvin AG300. In addition to working great with a variety of acoustic electric instruments the AG200 and AG300 have the best sounding mic'd vocals I've heard from any acoustic amp at any price. Ric
Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Carvin AG100, Carvin AG200 or Carvin AG300. In addition to working great with a variety of acoustic electric instruments the AG200 and AG300 have the best sounding mic'd vocals I've heard from any acoustic amp at any price. Ric
Thanks Ric! If you were strictly a finger-style player with no vocals would you still prefer the Carvin over other acoustic guitar amps?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Carvin AG 300 for fingerstyle. It will articulate your fingerpicking and you'll hear all the overtones and undertones from your instrument. It sounds just like your instrument. No coloration. Ric
Old 04-26-2016, 02:09 PM

To answer you question, Kurt, yes. On another note, Carvin manufactures their gear right here in San Diego's North County in Poway, California. Made in the U.S.A.. Ric
Old 04-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I'll jump on the Carvin bandwagon. Pretty much all has been said.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
To answer you question, Kurt, yes. On another note, Carvin manufactures their gear right here in San Diego's North County in Poway, California. Made in the U.S.A.. Ric
Thanks so much for the recommendations!
Back in the late 80's and early 90s I played a Carvin Ultra V for years, I actually still have it, I also had the X100B head but that didn't stick around too long. That's when they were catalog/mail order direct. I haven't given them much thought until I hear from you guys how good the acoustic amps are.
I think the AG200 would have plenty of power for what I need. I'll see if i can find a used one somewhere. Has anyone had one for quite a while to attest for it's durability?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 PM

I'd say either the Fishman Loudbox Artist or Schertler Jam 100/Acus one for six. Both of these have different character but I doubt you'll find a better reproduction of clean, pure acoustic sound and vocals than the Schertler or better weight and sound carving control than the Loudbox Artist. In the $500 bracket, these two amps are authoritatively the two best choices out there.

Haven't tried the Marshall AS50 and AS100 and never played the Ultrasounds or Carvins either.

Last edited by dannyg1; 04-26-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi Kurt

For my style and ears, it's still the UltraSound DS-4 (AG-50). Very natural sounding.

I rate amps in two categories:
  • Sounds like my rig playing through an amp
  • Sounds like my rig only louder

The UltraSound are the latter. So are AER, Rivera, and Humphrey - and the other three cost somewhere north of $1500-2500. The DS-4 is still about $400 shipped.

I have played all but the latest iteration of Carvins (of those listed here) and none of them match the natural sound of the UltraSounds for quality. The amazing thing about the UltraSound amps is the price. Twenty-six pounds of very solid quality and tone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I was and still am considering a battery powered amp like the Roland AC-33 but now that I've read about supplying power with and inverter and a deep cell marine battery, it opens up my choices for amps. I've never played an acoustic guitar plugged in and the ones I've heard always sounded horrible to me. I just ordered the K&K Meridian Pro and now need to choose an amp. It will be used for busking and possible small coffee house gigs. What do you all recommend under $500 as the best acoustic guitar amp?
Good suggestions so far. About 15 years ago, I bought two Ultrasound AG50 powered speakers (just like the current Ultrasound DS4 but with no preamps, controls, etc., other than volume). I had pole mount receptacles added to the bottom of each and used them (on sticks) as a mini-PA with a separate preamp, eq and effects. Sounded very good and dispersed well too. I don't know if Ultrasound/Dean Markley is still making the powered extension speaker any more, but what I'm getting at is the following:

1) Speakers on stick project better than speakers on the ground;

2) A single powered speaker on a stick with a separate and simple preamp/eq front end can easily match or outperform an integrated acoustic amp.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 04-26-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM

A local Optometrist recently picked up a Carvin AG100 for $100 used. I replaced the $10 tweeter. It sounds great. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
Thanks so much for the recommendations!
Back in the late 80's and early 90s I played a Carvin Ultra V for years, I actually still have it, I also had the X100B head but that didn't stick around too long. That's when they were catalog/mail order direct. I haven't given them much thought until I hear from you guys how good the acoustic amps are.
I think the AG200 would have plenty of power for what I need. I'll see if i can find a used one somewhere. Has anyone had one for quite a while to attest for it's durability?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Hi Kurt

For my style and ears, it's still the UltraSound DS-4 (AG-50). Very natural sounding.

I rate amps in two categories:
  • Sounds like my rig playing through an amp
  • Sounds like my rig only louder

The UltraSound are the latter. So are AER, Rivera, and Humphrey - and the other three cost somewhere north of $1500-2500. The DS-4 is still about $400 shipped.

I have played all but the latest iteration of Carvins (of those listed here) and none of them match the natural sound of the UltraSounds for quality. The amazing thing about the UltraSound amps is the price. Twenty-six pounds of very solid quality and tone.

Thank you Larry, I've read all your reviews on the Ultrasound and it's on the top of my list!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification