The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Which electric??

Started a thread a few months back to get an idea of what I wanted to look for in an entry level electric setup. That thread helped point me in the right direction, but I still have a few questions. I've been playing my Seagull S6 Original for over 2 years now. And have gotten decently efficient at playing acoustic, IMO. But have been itching to get into electric. I'll be playing solely for myself, so keep that in mind. I'm into mostly 90's alternative music. Think Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. I'm stuck between getting a tele and a strat, but I'm not sure which would best represent the type of music I'll most likely be playing with it. I'm deciding between the following:

Squier Strat
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-...r+stratocaster

Squier Tele
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-...ier+telecaster

I don't think a LP is what I'm looking for, but maybe I'm wrong? Whats the "main" difference between a Strat and a Tele? Sound? Playability? Versatility, etc.? As you can see I'm going the budget route with the guitar itself. If it's something I really get into I can always upgrade later, but even these entry level guitars may be all I'll ever need.

For the amp I've decided on a Fender Mustang 20amp 1 x 8". Good choice for just playing at home? I'll probably be headphoned up alot of the time as well.

Since this will be my first electric experience, what do I need to know hardware wise? I change my own strings on my Seagull and am having a bone saddle put in as we speak. Any upgrades I'll want/need to do to a Squier from the get go? How difficult is string changes? How about general maintenance?

Sorry for the lengthly post and so many question. Just trying to get my head wrapped around all of this before I pull the trigger. THANKS!!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Ah the wonderful transition from acoustic to electric.... I wish I could do it all over again. There's a lot of discovery that happens. I will try to be concise to stick to the main points asked.

All the artists you have listed use a combination of all these guitars, especially Pearl Jam, I've seen them play with all types - strat, tele, and les pauls. I would be inclined to recommending a strat or a tele to begin. I think the strat will give you more flexibility, and you could get one with a humbucker configuration H-S-S....

As far as the entry level guitars listed above, I would say that you might have some challenges with the tuners and the guitar staying in tune for several reasons (the nuts aren't really cut correctly, the tuners hardware is usually lower quality and flimsy, etc.). If you can get a MIM tele or strat for a few extra bucks, I would go that route.

In terms of hardware, all you need to know is how to setup your guitar properly, there's tons of videos on YouTube.

Mods: If you are thinking mods right off the bat, I would strongly suggest you get a MIM. I know I said this but it won't be worth your time to buy the hardware and do the changes. Start with a medium quality instrument and then see if you are going to outgrow it.

Changing strings is easy on electrics. All strings come off, new ones come in... cut at the distance of 1 extra post, and start winding. Straight forward.

Used MIM strat/teles usually go for $250-$300
Used Squiers strat/teles range from $50-$100

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 AM

I find the 5 way switcing on the strat plus the tremelo bar two reasons why I prefer a strat. I find strats, with their body contour, more comforatble to play.
With the Mustang amp you'll have decent effects to play with, and I believe a strat sounds better than a tele when you use overdrive or distortion. I got a good surf sound plugging strat into the amp. I have an American made strat. I tried a Squier Classic Vibe and it sounded just as goot to me. A friend has a Squier Standard strat and it has excellent playability but not close enough to the American strat tone, and it just seems fragile all around.

Played the equivalent of a Les Paul for many years, loved it, but all the while I kept hearing strats that sounded SO appealing. Traded the LP for my strat and I'm very happy...such a versatile guitar. I play alot of acoustic too. I'm itching to get a Gibson SG or a hollow-body just to experience theim too. Hoping you have as much fun and fulfillment,
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Between strats and teles...

There's sound and flexibility of sounds - from their usual pickup configurations and bridge designs. I'm not quite sure where this quote originates: "Teles punch and sing while Strats sting and scream".

There's the vibrato (which Mr. Fender started calling tremolo) on most strats. I found that I couldn't leave it alone and was overusing it - so stopped playing guitars that have it

... and then there's the body shape. Some of it is pure esthetics but many feel very comfortable with the strat forearm and belly bevels. Others like the more angular feel of the tele body.

As for tele sounds with overdrive or distortion ... I've heard lots of examples of teles sounding very good that way.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2014, 12:23 PM

If you spend just a little more money on the amp, you can get a full tube amp.

I highly recommend the Bugera V5. Excellent amp and 200 bucks brand new. Power attenuation so you don't have to run it at the full 5 watts to get nice breakup which is nice on your ears because 5 watts in a tube amp is still pretty dang loud and it has an earphone jack. Do research and you will find out I am far from the only one in love with this amp. This could be your first and last amp, it's that good.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM

I bought the Squier Strat and love it. It holds tune for weeks on end, if the humidity stays constant. I did have an issue this winter with fret sprout when the humidity dropped. A couple minutes with a file and all was good. The great thing about these cheap guitars is that I'm not afraid to try things. Mine is a SSS configuration but a HSS might be fun as well.

I also have the Mustang 1 and really like it but if I were to do it again, I would have gone with the Mustang 2. I was given a 12" speaker in a separate cabinet so i rewired the mustang to have a speaker out jack. It sounds way better through a 12" speaker than an 8".

Enjoy!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
Started a thread a few months back to get an idea of what I wanted to look for in an entry level electric setup. That thread helped point me in the right direction, but I still have a few questions. I've been playing my Seagull S6 Original for over 2 years now. And have gotten decently efficient at playing acoustic, IMO. But have been itching to get into electric. I'll be playing solely for myself, so keep that in mind. I'm into mostly 90's alternative music. Think Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. I'm stuck between getting a tele and a strat, but I'm not sure which would best represent the type of music I'll most likely be playing with it. I'm deciding between the following:

Squier Strat
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-...r+stratocaster

Squier Tele
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-...ier+telecaster

I don't think a LP is what I'm looking for, but maybe I'm wrong? Whats the "main" difference between a Strat and a Tele? Sound? Playability? Versatility, etc.? As you can see I'm going the budget route with the guitar itself. If it's something I really get into I can always upgrade later, but even these entry level guitars may be all I'll ever need.

For the amp I've decided on a Fender Mustang 20amp 1 x 8". Good choice for just playing at home? I'll probably be headphoned up alot of the time as well.

Since this will be my first electric experience, what do I need to know hardware wise? I change my own strings on my Seagull and am having a bone saddle put in as we speak. Any upgrades I'll want/need to do to a Squier from the get go? How difficult is string changes? How about general maintenance?

Sorry for the lengthly post and so many question. Just trying to get my head wrapped around all of this before I pull the trigger. THANKS!!
It's possible you are significantly over-thinking it. Sounds like you've done sufficient research, I'd say just go play both and see which one feels the best in your hands. I would also suggest a used Mexican strat/tele over most Squiers (I have never played the highly-regarded Classic Vibe models, which may invalidate my recommendation).

It took me a long time to figure out that the gear minutia I fixated on really just didn't matter very much.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

I also have the Mustang 1 and really like it but if I were to do it again, I would have gone with the Mustang 2. I was given a 12" speaker in a separate cabinet so i rewired the mustang to have a speaker out jack. It sounds way better through a 12" speaker than an 8".

Enjoy!
I got the Mustang 3. The Mustang 2 does have a 12" speaker, but it is not as good as the 3 speaker, and it is closed back. It sounded muddy to me by comparison. The Mustang 1, even with the closed back sounded good (I guess the small speaker matched the closed back better), but I wanted the power and PA outputs of the 3. I would get a Mustang I used for a practice amp if you really want ($60 on CL around here). Otherwise, get the 3 if you think you might play out. It is also awesome for the ability to model the amps on the screen, so you don't have to stay attached to a PC all the time.

Regarding the OP, I was stuck between those same 2 guitars (but I went right to the MIM). I got a used tele, but I would happily take either of those. I want both

I'd say that if you are undecided, just get whichever you find for a good deal first. Then you can afford both sooner
Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
... I'd say just go play both and see which one feels the best in your hands. ...
... the gear minutia I fixated on really just didn't matter very much.
Sound of reason

I just saw some people singing the praise of Les Paul Juniors. Not very expensive, and something in the design gets a lot of sound to the single pickup (lack of cutouts in body?). Different neck dimensions, compared with typical Fender designs, I think. Give it it a try if you have the opportunity.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2014, 01:24 PM

I'd say buy a used MIM strat or telecaster.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!

I've been leaning towards a strat, but wanted to hear some opinions first. I agree that I may be overthinking it as well. I'll check out some of other amp reccomendations as well. If I do go with the strat do you guys reccommend the SSS or HSS pickups?

Thanks again!!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:49 PM

If you go Tele, try out the Squier Classic Vibe. On the Tele forums, they are all the rage, quite the deal.

I think other posters have covered it well. The Tele, to my ear, sounds much nicer clean that the strat does and lends itself to singing over the clean signal. It also has an incredible palette of sounds accessed by simply switching pickups and rolling the tone control. Teles have twang, I use mine for country. Teles also have a very full sound, which is why punk bands have adopted their use along with Keith Richards. When processed for a rock sound, they can do a lot as well, a good metal player with a Tele is indistinguishable from someone playing a Gibson or an Ibanez.

The Strat, by contrast, to me, is a more neutral guitar, more of a jack of all trades. It lends itself to a greater range of tones and musical styles and then there is the whammy bar. Whammy bars are a mixed blessing, you really do have to have them set up for stability. But if you have ever heard David Gilmor or Jeff Beck play on a strat with the bar, you can see the potential. I saw Beck do Somewhere Over the Rainbow simply by using the tremolo bar, very impressive.

Over the years I have gone country and a Tele is simply the best option, also, when I sing, the Tele fills in the midrange quite nicely, making it a viable alternative to an acoustic for performing vocal material. I did not find the Strat did that, I always have to process the Strat or overdrive it to get away from the thin sound of the stock pickups.

As far as replacing pickups, there is a world of opinion on that. Many use a Seymor Duncan hot rail in the bridge position for more of a Gibson thickness. The often use a Norton Air in the mid and often the neck as well, for more sustain and less brittle tone. Yngvie Maelmsteem has designed his own pickups for the Strat, which is all he plays, he has like 50 strats, all lemon yellow! His pickups produce a smooth even tone, very full, for his emulation of Paganini and other neo classical shreds.

If you really have ONE electric, despite my love of Teles, I would say go Strat, far more versatile in the long run. Many session players only bring a Strat to the studio, because they know that anything the producer wants can probably be had, unless its more of a 335 hollow body jazz tone. And even then, the Strat is used by many jazz players, not the majority, but a reasonable number.

Have fun! Great choice to make!.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks Davis!! I appreciate the well thought out response. Much to think about, but I'm looking forward to it!!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM

Thumbs down

Not much to think about. The MIM strat is the best entry level guitar. When you change the strings, never cut the string without giving the string a 90 degree bend, otherwise the string can unwind inside leaving you with a "dead string." The bend depends on where you cut the string, near the ball for Floyd Rose bridges or near the tuning peg, which the latter I don't recommend. I leave enough string to wrap around the tuning peg approximately 3 times when tuned with a hand string-winder to prevent twisting the core of the string from the wrap. Then I bend the excess string at the tuner back and forth several times until it breaks off cleanly leaving no stubble to get between your finger and fingernail. String subble, under, the fingernail!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 PM

Default Either or...

If I were you, I'd consider Squier's Classic Vibe line. Personally, I feel that it's just better than the Mexican Telecaster I once had. But I would also stress how having a tube amp is better for your sound than having a solid-state amp, like the Mustang. And a Vox AC4 isn't much more expensive than a Fender Mustang.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars