The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Default NGD - Gentlemen prefer blondes...

- which would lead most of my friends to ask why I would want this one...?

Actually, I've been looking for something that could do both acoustic and electric service for a while now, not in a regular band or worship team at present so I couldn't justify the cost of a T-5. Hit the Sweetwater website a couple days ago and found this on sale for $100 less than the 'burst and $50 less than the cherry; haven't had anything with full-size 'buckers in 20 years so I thought I'd pull the trigger:

Got some cool slab-cut figure going on in the body with a bit of shadow flame on the back, and together with the medium-light RW board it reminds me of some of those early-50's NY Epi Zephyrs I used to see in the 14th Street (Manhattan) pawnshops when I was a kid; nice and light too, at just a tick over 7 pounds on the strap (no small selling point considering I turn 61 tomorrow). As I said I could use something with full-size 'buckers, and while I realize that it'll never sound truly "acoustic," neither does the T-5 at four times the price. I also have enough practical experience to know that the ear can be tricked into hearing what it wants/expects to hear; even many experienced players don't realize that the "acoustic guitar" tracks on the Brill Building hits of the early/mid-60's were done with a Strat's middle pickup, screwed down flush to the pickguard - so as long as I'm effectively filling the same sonic space in an arrangement, that's one less piece of equipment I'll need to haul. Finally, although I'll never use the USB/software capabilities (I'm just an analog guy at heart - at both ends of the audio chain) I like the idea of being able to split the pickups into separate channels; should be able to get some nice acoustic+electric Boston/power-ballad tones with my Bugera V22 on the 'buckers and Frontman 212R on the NanoMag...

Due to arrive Friday - I'll post a review once I've had a chance to set it up and tinker with it a little...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Congrats! That's a looker for sure. I love that color. I have lusted after the Wildkat in that color for some time.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I have an ES-359 (posted here a while back) and I love the size, shape, everything. I like the jack on the side too and it sounds killer.

You'll have a lot of fun with that one! Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
...I love that color. I have lusted after the Wildkat in that color for some time.
Then you might want to move on this while the getting's good:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETBKANd2

Can't beat the price, and a little clear nail polish carefully applied will fill the finish chip; not quite as flamey as some (kind of a subtle pincurl if you look closely at some of the close-ups) but that faded cherry back reminds me of a nice '60 LP, and I've never seen flamed hog on anything under $2K. BTW, I'm also a big fan of P-90's; heck, if I hadn't just bought the 339 - and I didn't think I'd be living in the backyard toolshed as a result - I'd grab this one myself just because...
Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Congrats Steve! Wow, 20 years without humbuckers. You're long overdue my friend.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Very nice Steve. I really like the 339/359 size. -- Darwin
Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM

Nice, but I wish they would match the neck color with the body!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Interesting guitar with the range of sounds it can produce. I think the natural finish is my favourite too.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I love a Piezo in a 'bucker guitar!! It'll be great to hear your review. That size and shape is very comfortable, and very lightweight, so it should be a pleasure to play. Congrats!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 PM

It's a Shadow NanoMag, Mike, not a piezo; look carefully at the end of the fingerboard just above the neck humbucker and you'll see a black stripe where you'd expect rosewood - that's the pickup. Got its own dedicated controls mounted in the back cover plate along with the 9V battery compartment, and based on the demo of the LP Ultra at the Sweetwater website it sounds more "acoustic" than most UST systems I've owned/heard - and with no upper-midrange quack or brittle treble (same PU they use on their '64 Texan, BTW); sneaky little sucker, isn't it...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Nice, but I wish they would match the neck color with the body!
Hog neck is traditional on the Gibson semis - pop $3K+ for a blonde Memphis 335 and you'll get the same thing...
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Congratulations. Nice looking guitar for sure.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Default Wowzer!

Man, I LOVE that guitar! Nice choice! Congratulations!!!!

Some originals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! ...love the blondes ...and runnin' thru a V22 is very sweet; that's what I use as well these dayz when I'm gettin' my Beck on!
Congrats on a very sweet and versatile guitar...can you say Marshall Tucker?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Default GAS attack!

I should also probably mention that this thing is giving me a SERIOUS GAS attack! The combination of the nano-mag pickup for acoustic tones and the 339 size really, really hits my hot buttons! (I didn't even realize it was the smaller 339 size until I looked at the thread a second time.)

Anyway, very, very nice guitar. I'm impressed - and very envious!!!

Some originals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Then you might want to move on this while the getting's good:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETBKANd2

Can't beat the price, and a little clear nail polish carefully applied will fill the finish chip; not quite as flamey as some (kind of a subtle pincurl if you look closely at some of the close-ups) but that faded cherry back reminds me of a nice '60 LP, and I've never seen flamed hog on anything under $2K. BTW, I'm also a big fan of P-90's; heck, if I hadn't just bought the 339 - and I didn't think I'd be living in the backyard toolshed as a result - I'd grab this one myself just because...
You are a bad enabler my friend. That is SO tempting.

I must resist the GAS I have for that. I just purchased a new to me Taylor today. And I already have an Epiphone ES-355 so while I would love that Wildkat, it's not something I need. I would appreciate someone buying that demo so I'm not so dang tempted though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars