The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Question What are the best pickups for an HSS strat?

Getting the urge to build a Frankenstrat, in HSS configuration. What would be your recommendations for an HSS or P90-SS configuration. I want a really hot bridge pup, and be able to match it to a couple of nice strat-like SS pups (but they would obviously have to be pretty hot, of course).

I'm not a heavy metal guy, so don't care about those kinds of sounds. I just want a sort of flexible sound for general rock/blues stuff.

And yes, I'm aware that opinions will vary widely on this topic. Let's hear what you think!

And thank you in advance!

Some originals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Zhangbucker Pickups - handwound with a vengance

http://www.zhangbucker.com/

The set on my strat makes me happy

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Hi Brad,

I built a Frankenstrat a few years back and I used:
  • Bridge: Seymour Duncan Custom
  • Middle: Fender Texas Special
  • Bridge: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

If I had to do it again, I'd go H-S-S. The Custom is what Eddie Van Halen used to play Panama. Nothing heavy at all.

What kind of songs are you looking to play?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 AM

High output pickups and Classic Rock/Blues sort of contradict themselves IMHO. P90's and HB's are totally different sounding pickups. And just like any other single coil, a P90 can hum pretty loud. Im not knocking the P90's, I love'm. And the stacked or HB type P90's just don't sound like what I think a P90 should sound like. When I think 'really hot' in relation to pickups, I think Metal or Shredder type guitar.

You have an existing Strat now your upgrading or are you building/buying one? Reason I ask, is for me anyway, learning from experience over the years, not to just throw just any old pickup in a guitar. Some guitars and some pickups just don't match each other well. Ive learned this the expensive way by purchasing 'hot' pickups myself, only to find that in some guitars, those same high quality, highly recommended hot pickups turned thick, muddy and in all practicality, useless for the tone I was hoping for.

Is the Strat naturally bright sounding? Does it have sustain or not? again I ask, because there are some things to consider so that the pickups you install are a nice match and give a good balance to the guitar.

So now considering that. For P90's I like the old standard Gibson P90's. I also am a fan of TV Jones take on them.

For a bridge HB, I like Seymour Duncan's Pearly Gates, 59's, Custom's and Custom Customs. I also love the Gibson Burst Buckers. All sound awesome cranked and clean up nice when you roll off the volume knob. Another shout out for TV Jones Powertron's and Plus's. IMHO TVJ's work for well for anything except high gain metal. Super versatile. Lots of mid range and mots articulate of any pickup Ive tried. Can jangle, can snarl, can grind.

For mid and neck single coils I like the SD Quarter pounders. Make sure what ever you get to make the mid position a RWRP(Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity) so that in the mid.neck position you get the 'quack' tone that Strats are known for. But probably my first choice for single coil Strat would be Rio Grande Pickups. I love the P90 flavor of the Dirty Harry's. Ive had good luck and great tone with the Vintage Tallboy and Halfbreeds. Ive put those in a heavy solid mahogany guitar and with my eyes closed it still sounded like the creamiest smooth Strat in the neck and all the Quack you could ever want from the mid/neck position while being very quiet for singles.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I can't comment on the guitar it's to go into, yet, because it hasn't been built yet. These are pups that I'm considering for a strat build.

Yes, I probably shouldn't have implied that I want a high gain pup for the bridge, since I am NOT looking for a metal sound. I'm a classic rock guy who mostly plays stuff from the 70's.

Some originals:
Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 AM

I have a near mint Fender Strat Deluxe HSS. The pups are incredible - in fact, the whole guitar is awesome. I bought it on a whim b/c it was so nice. I'm just a tele guy. Let me know if you're interested. It would be much cheaper than a custom build.

Either way, best Wishes
Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUtunes View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I can't comment on the guitar it's to go into, yet, because it hasn't been built yet. These are pups that I'm considering for a strat build.

Yes, I probably shouldn't have implied that I want a high gain pup for the bridge, since I am NOT looking for a metal sound. I'm a classic rock guy who mostly plays stuff from the 70's.
The Seymour Duncan '59 is an amazing pickup that will get you that tone. I have one in my Les Paul but I've never played one in a Strat before though.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Seymour Duncan '59 is an amazing pickup that will get you that tone. I have one in my Les Paul but I've never played one in a Strat before though.
I have one in my Paul clone, too. I think it's a '59 in the neck and a JB at the bridge. Nice sound. Might want to go with a P90 in the bridge of a strat, just to keep it all single coil. Might be easier to match the levels/impedance that way too. But it would have to be a very NASTY sounding P90. I want it to really shift into a different gear at the bridge.

BTW, I also have a Nashville Tele, so I can get SOME of those strat tones, just thinking I need a really cool HSS (or P90-SS) strat too.

Some originals:

Last edited by BLUtunes; 05-08-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM

And let me just say, once again, thank you for all the thoughtful comments. I really appreciate the guidance. If there are any other ideas/suggestions, let's hear 'em! I'm taking notes!

Some originals:
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM

For Single Coils, I like the Lace Sensor Gold. They have several "colors" which indicates varying degrees of hotness. There are also several sound sample videos of the various colors on their website at lacemusic.com

Good luck in your search.

GC
Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Technical stuff...

Let's say that I decide to go with an HSS configuration. Let's also say, just for argument's sake, that I go with a classic sounding hummer like the Duncan '59. How do you go about making sure that the single coils match up with the hummer, which will obviously be much hotter and have a totally different impedance. Do you just look for the hottest single coils you find and hope that they match up? Do you try to match up the impedance or some other value that you find on the manufacturer's website? I'm still pretty confused about this whole stage of the process, quite frankly.

Some originals:
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
For Single Coils, I like the Lace Sensor Gold. They have several "colors" which indicates varying degrees of hotness. There are also several sound sample videos of the various colors on their website at lacemusic.com

Good luck in your search.

GC
Yes, I'm familiar with those. The "gold" ones are the one that supposedly have the "classic" strat sound, right?

Some originals:
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I have a JB/59 combo in one of my LP-style guitars and don't really like them, so I am swapping them out for Zhanbuckers, custom wound. Mine is really HSH, and he worked with me to put together a great set for what I play, mostly classic rock and modern country. His pickups are asymmetrically wound so if you split them, you don't get as big a volume drop. If you discuss what you like and don't like, he'd help you put together a nice set.

Mike Reilander also gets good reviews, as does David Allen.

I had an SSH Strat and decided on Zexcoil noiseless, and I am extremely happy with these. It is probably one of my most versatile guitars. It is the Fender Deluxe Power Strat (with the Piezo bridge), and it's a blast to play with the Zexcoils, and absolutely silent.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I have a JB/59 combo in one of my LP-style guitars and don't really like them, so I am swapping them out for Zhanbuckers, custom wound. Mine is really HSH, and he worked with me to put together a great set for what I play, mostly classic rock and modern country. His pickups are asymmetrically wound so if you split them, you don't get as big a volume drop. If you discuss what you like and don't like, he'd help you put together a nice set.

Mike Reilander also gets good reviews, as does David Allen.

I had an SSH Strat and decided on Zexcoil noiseless, and I am extremely happy with these. It is probably one of my most versatile guitars. It is the Fender Deluxe Power Strat (with the Piezo bridge), and it's a blast to play with the Zexcoils, and absolutely silent.
These brands are totally unfamiliar to me. But I'm intrigued, especially with the results that you've gotten on your HSS strat. Boutique shops, I assume?

Some originals:
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM

I will say dont limit yourself to high output pickups .For the music you say you want to play middle output is more suitable.
Here are some combinations of my favorite Bare knuckle pickups.You can hear how they sound in the specs of each pickup and also in their forum.

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk...index&cPath=23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars