The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Advice please! My dad's Ramirez 1a

Hello all! I would love the help of those more knowledgeable in the nylon-string world than I.

Some years back, my father passed away, leaving me his Ramirez 1a classical guitar (cedar top, rosewood back & sides, made in 1988). After some time and some soul-searching, I've decided that I would like to get this guitar into the hands of someone who would use & appreciate it more than I. My musical world is of the steel-string sort (along with other instruments), and I think that I'm not likely to ever go there.

I was curious if anybody out there had some insights/advice as to how to go about selling it, and what I should be asking! I will most likely end up posting an ad on the AGF classifieds, but would anybody have any other ideas? (btw, please PM if you have ideas of what price I should be asking)

It might require a bit of work-- the action seems a bit high (but then, I come from a steel-string world). Also, there was a crack on the face that WAS repaired, but it's still visible.

He also added a cross inlay to the head, and (dare we say it) strap buttons. So it's a pretty unique instrument looking for a pretty unique home. If anybody has advice, I'm all ears!

and more Dixon whistles than I'd care to admit

Last edited by tempest_col; 02-11-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: thanks rgregg
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM

what year it was made?
edit ok 1988 i saw it ,sorry

i never saw a used Ramirez below $6000 ..i d go with ebay or delcamp forum and dont touch the action
delcamp forum are all about classical guitars...ask there too
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Salon International has a couple from the 60's and 70's and they are both in the $6 - 8K range(a retail price). Hard to say what the modifications will do to the price - certainly will not enhance it. Action wise, a Ramirez is not going to look to a steel stringer like good action. As a matter of fact, from that period, it might look high to most classical players of today. Those guitars were not known for low action. What scale is it? 650 or 664? The repair would appear to be along the top seam, if I'm seeing the picture right. Hard to do invisibly, without a lot of extra work. Check over at the DelCamp forum in the classified under the Luthiers sub-forum. You can at least search the archives of that forum for used Ramirez guitars. I know there have been some, and see what the prices were. I don't know where you are, but you might want to have someone who knows those guitars take a look at it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM

by the way, its cedar . not spruce, and it has a strap button which is not
tradtionally installed on this level of classical.
3k to 6 k would be reasonable , depending on sound and condition.

my opinion, usual disclaimers apply..

Rick
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM

High action, along with the thick finish, is part of the Ramirez mojo. Change either one, and it no longer sounds like a Ramirez.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM

That is a beautiful 1A, looks near perfect at 25 years old. The best place to sell this instrument is on the classified ads at Delcamp Classical Guitar forum. Don't get in a rush... even if it takes a year, this guitar will sell... much sought after. I would think $5,000 would be reasonable price for this guitar.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
it has a strap button which is not
tradtionally installed on this level of classical.

Rick
The OP mentioned it had been added...

"He also added a cross inlay to the head, and (dare we say it) strap buttons. So it's a pretty unique instrument looking for a pretty unique home."

Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 AM

Looks like there is a split on the top. This will greatly reduce its value.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Cedar... of course it's cedar. Thanks, rgregg!
and more Dixon whistles than I'd care to admit
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
That is a beautiful 1A, looks near perfect at 25 years old. The best place to sell this instrument is on the classified ads at Delcamp Classical Guitar forum. Don't get in a rush... even if it takes a year, this guitar will sell... much sought after. I would think $5,000 would be reasonable price for this guitar.
agree.

neither the split on the top nor the strap button affect the value significantly. find the right buyer.

"When there's something we think could be better, we must make an effort to try and make it better." —John Coltrane
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 AM

his professional models now days start from 7000 euros at his shop. an old ramirez WILL sell sooner or later, so take your time with the sale. prices above are a good estimate
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Musical minimalist

Given the condition I'd say around 4500-4800 plus or minus a bit.

Delcamp would be a good place to list it, but you'll need to hang around there a while and accumulate some posts before you are allowed to sell.

Ebay would bring a much larger audience, and for that you'll pay in final value and Paypal fees

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM

With the strap buttons already installed, you might try a jazz forum. Might be less likely to put off a jazz musician than a classical, might even save them the trouble of installing them.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM

You find many listed for $5000 or $6000 but few sell for that amount unless it's brazilian rosewood. There were several of similar age to yours that sold for between $2700 and $3500 on ebay...not sure if they are still posted in the completed listings. I am referring to models with Indian Rosewood from the early to mid 1980s. The newer models made in the 1990s and 2000s in pristine condition will fetch around $5000 +/-.
And to back up my claim...Item no. 121034977739 sold for $3800 on Ebay. This guitar is also a 1988 model with no crack, no screw holes, and no inlay. Just trying to be helpful.

Last edited by kazzelectro; 02-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical