The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Need recommendations on fingerstyle guitar teachers please

Hi forum,

I'm looking for some good teachers near DC/VA/MD area or via skype who's good at fingerstyle and can do some nail attacks. I have been teaching myself for 2 years, but now I meet a bottleneck when I'm trying the song ‘landscape’ by Oshio Kotaro. I know it may be hard to find a teacher exactly of Oshio's style in the US, so I come to you, my forum friends. Any recommendations please?
Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMDvNZsd9w

p.s. I don't mind drive 3 hours to the teacher's studio if he/she's who I'm looking for.

Best,
Cory
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Not my style of playing; but since I live in the DC area and have historically struggled to find a teacher I like, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Tim Farrell is in philly area and could be an option
Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryKeW View Post
Hi forum,

I'm looking for some good teachers near DC/VA/MD area or via skype who's good at fingerstyle and can do some nail attacks. I have been teaching myself for 2 years, but now I meet a bottleneck when I'm trying the song ‘landscape’ by Oshio Kotaro. I know it may be hard to find a teacher exactly of Oshio's style in the US, so I come to you, my forum friends. Any recommendations please?
Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMDvNZsd9w

p.s. I don't mind drive 3 hours to the teacher's studio if he/she's who I'm looking for.

Best,
Cory
Danny Combs is great. He's an AGF member and fantastic teacher
Old 05-14-2017, 07:14 AM

If you haven't found anyone yet....Raymond Gonzales at the Music Emporium in Lexington Ma. Unbelievable finger stylist..been with him now for 4 years. Check out his website.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Rolly Brown is in the Philly area as well. He offers in person and Skype lessons.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Good to bring this thread back.

Rolly Brown just showed up in my YouTube reco's and I'm generally enjoying his playing, so a thumbs up in his direction. But beyond that...

There are many different styles and techniques to be found under the umbrella of "fingerstyle" guitar. But whatever the genre...from classical through Merle Travis, Mississippi John and the legion of blues/folk players through Joe Pass...
the job is to articulate the melody, hold a rhythm and fill out the arrangement with some harmony and counterpoint.

The point is that there will be a range from simple repetitive pattern picking all the way to "free style" picking where any "pattern" is entirely arrangement/voicing/fretboard dependent, the actuation of each note/string dictated by content, not pattern. As such, what you do with your fretting hand is interactive with what you do with your picking hand.

The inevitable progression would seem to be working from something like Elizabeth Cotten (Freight Train/first position chords) all the way to chord melody stuff. That's a LOT of territory!!!

Edit:

Here's a recent upload from Rolly, a nice arrangement of BOTB played at a nice relaxed, funky tempo and demonstrating how the basic pattern picking is altered by the chord voicings and contains basic pattern picking, thumb fills, back brushes with the picking fingers and other subtleties resulting from working on a "fuller", solo arrangement.

https://youtu.be/E1G59NvClJ4

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 05-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:04 PM

If you like Rolly Brown's style, he has several DVD/download lessons for sale at Stefan Grossman's guitar workshop. I have one and I enjoy his teaching style as well as his playing. You can find some sample lessons on you tube.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

http://www.richardgilewitz.com

Richard has been teaching me for five years. He can explain how to approach the piece, measure by measure.
Try to identify one of the performer's right hand techniques & learn it. Do the same with the other RH moves that he uses. Learn his techniques one at a time until you can play them all. Then work on the entire piece. Using "Amazing Slow Downer" can help. https://www.ronimusic.com/asd_iphone.htm

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write