The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
has anyone built their own or used one of those mic holders that clamps to an acoustic guitar. I am doing a solo gig where I might be able to get away with just using a mic but I want the freedom of having it mounted to the guitar. I tried to make my own but I failed

Hi HighAndDry:
Yes I did, I do it by self
my DIY Microphone was copy the DPA dvote 4099 model,

Because the DPA dvote 4099 was very expensive. I keep try to find other option
just like Chinese copy, but I am not sure because the price more than 100$ for a Chinese copy.
then I found this one
Tbone Ovid System
the price was cheap, it cost €74
very big different comparing DPA dvote 4099.

but I couldn't find any distributor/dealer for that microphone in ASIA,
that product only available in Europe. and when I check the shipping cost it's almost double with the microphone price also I have to pay the taxes expense in my country for that.

so almost 2 moth I keep checking on google, forum and others to find someone who built their own miniature microphone system with clamp (just like DPA dvote 4099). the result was nothing, so I start to build the clamp with wood material, then I keep changing for almost one month.

okay, so you can see here my DIY Microphone, copy of DPA dvote 4099
I am using local product, license from China

If the Image doesn't show, you can click right and choose, Open Image in New Tab

Electret Condenser Microphone (ECM)

it cost around € 8,5

and this is the whole thing:

before set up the guitar
(microphone with flexible gooseneck, mini preamp, clamp)

Clamp and microphone set up to the flexible gooseneck, I am doing by my self, only the mini preamp; I asking help to my friend who expert about audio kit, my friend making a preamp kit. then I put the preamp kit and set up the box by my self. the mini preamp has tone volume control also as phantom power for the condenser microphone.

mini preamp

volume control

clip on the mini preamp, you put on your belt

and here when the microphone set up to the guitar

side 1

side 2

then After I am finish my DIY microphone, my friend gave me this small condenser microphone
long times a go he using it for violin. and I put clamp rubber on that microphone as clamp to the guitar body
here is the microphone

before set up to the guitar

and here after set up to the guitar

side 1

side 2

and here both Microphone before set up to the guitar

I was using those microphone many times start on the Christmas last year,
on the small stage, and the sound was fine. just don't pull up the volume control more than One O'clock
even though I've been try to compare with the DPA dvote 4099
the sound look similar, just in the big volume my microphone there's some noise sound.
I can understand because DPA dvote 4099 using high end quality on the cable, connector and others.
but as far as I play in the small volume, the sound look similar (clear & Natural).

and you know what, how does it cost to make that microphone ?
as you can see that the

DPA dvote 4099 = €499 (In my country around €570)
Tbone Ovid system = €74 (there's no any distributor in my country for this microphone)

and the cost my DIY Microphone was including
clamp, cable, connector, flexible gooseneck, mini preamp, microhpone,
other things (power glue,solder,heat shrink, etc)
TOTAL WAS €32

I am very happy that I can make it happen, and share to the people
but now I prefer to use external microphone system with pencil condenser microphone, because the sound more natural and challenge my self to play better always in every gig.

I have short video for sample sound of my DIY Microphone using my previews guitar, it's Yamaha C315 Student model on the small stage, the sound very clear and good enough. but I didn't upload on the Youtube, because it's short video and the video quality was not good because record using old phone camera.

you can PM me, I can send to you through email if you want the sample sound of my DIY Microphone from the video.

I hope it can be help

Thank you,
Happy sharing

Thank you so much

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification