The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2016, 12:00 PM

Default Connecting Fishman SA 220

Hello all,

I have a Fishman SA 220. A friend has an inspire turbo sound 1000, another solo acoustic-type tower. We want to link them for a live performance, but having trouble figuring out how to do that.

He has two female outputs, while I have a male (out) and female (in) to link. The male to female cord didn't work, so I'll have to pick up a female to female cord and try that.

Anyone ever try something like this? When he bought his system, the guy at the store said linking would not be an issue. Hope that ends up being the case.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Why do you want/need to 'link' them? Since (I assume) both are stand-alone acoustic amps I would think that one would use one while the other uses the other. I can't see a purpose to link them to to even use two for that matter.

If it were me and I did need/want to link them I would take the monitor out of one and put it into the aux in on the other.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Why do you want/need to 'link' them? Since (I assume) both are stand-alone acoustic amps I would think that one would use one while the other uses the other. I can't see a purpose to link them to to even use two for that matter.

If it were me and I did need/want to link them I would take the monitor out of one and put it into the aux in on the other.
So if i sit on the left side of the venue I can hear both of them play and sing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 AM

That is correct. So I can hear what he is playing and singing out of mine, and vice versa. At worst, we could just place them side-by-side and play in front of them, but the sound dispersion would not be very good for this particular venue we are about to play.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I don't know much about the other one but I have the SA220. It's designed to sit off to the side and behind you a bit so you don't need monitors. If his is the same I'd go line out to aux in and dial up the little you need to hear each other.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Easiest answer, call Fishman. http://www.fishman.com/support/contactsupport.php

There is no better customer support.

Steve
Old 05-01-2016, 03:37 PM

I am not familiar with the Inspire system but it probably has a line out. The 220 has 2 XLR jacks on the back marked Monitor In and Out, plus a 1/4" aux input. There are two knobs on the face of the 220 (one for the aux input and one for the XLR monitor in) that allow you to dial in how much of the other system will be present in your system's amplified sound. The line out from the Inspire should plug into either the "aux" or "monitor in" on the 220. The xlr "monitor out" from the 220 is a line level signal that hopefully can be hooked up to a corresponding monitor in jack on the Inspire. Or, you can use the D.I. out on the 220 and plug it into a mic or instrument input on the Inspire. I use the D.I. out with an xlr going to an input of my Loudbox Artist to turn it into a monitor.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Thank for all the helpful info.

This is what the back of the inspire looks like.

http://www.psneurope.com/wp-content/...IRE-iP2000.jpg

It has two xlr/1/4 inch inputs for mic/guitar in the middle, then two other: Line A and Line B.

We tried the Monitor IN with male to the Line A output, and got nothing. I'm wondering if we need to both, IN and OUT to A and B. Or maybe I'll try to female OUT on the SA 220 to the Line A female.

And then when all else fails, email Fishman!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Hey PJ,

I had to look up info on the Turbosound. It looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it has the same capability as the SA220 to "link" another as a monitor though it will be possible if your friend only uses 1 input on the Turbosound.

The Turbosound has 2 outs. "Link" A and Link B. (Those are male outs, BTW). Each one is an unprocessed signal from the corresponding input. (A or B). I didn't see any output other than the 2 "Links".

So....if your friend only uses one input on the Turbosound you need to use that Link out into the SA220 Monitor in. That should work with a standard XLR cable because the Link out is male XLR and the Monitor in on the SA220 is female XLR.

If he uses two inputs, connecting would be a challenge since the Turbosound doesn't have an output that mixes the 2 inputs. At least I couldn't find that in the descriptions online for the iP1000. I guess you could use the 2nd Link out of the Turbosound with a XLR female to TRS cable into the Aux in on the SA220. In that scenario, you would be able to hear your friend (and adjust the levels of his 2 individual inputs with the Monitor and Aux levels on the SA220) but since both Inputs and Links are used on the Turbosound, there would be no way to connect the output of the SA220 to the Turbosound.

If your friend has a mixer, he can use just one Input on the Turbosound. Then, using all the other connections above, you can also use the DI out of the SA220 into the 2nd input of the Turbosound. You would both be connected to each other. But that would require a small mixer and a Female XLR to TRS cable.

This is probably not what the salesperson meant by "it wouldn't be a problem" to connect the 2 systems but it's the only way I see with what I could find on the Turbosound.

Tim
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Slim, thank you! so much for doing the leg work ... these are really things that neither of us understand all that much. If we are going to use a mixer, we might just end up using the TurboSound for both of us, which has plenty of power for two guitars and two mics.

I'm also wondering if he uses something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SY300_.jpg

if we would be able to put his mic and his guitar through the same channel, adjusting the guitar sound on the guitar. I guess we'll have to try a couple of different things to see what works best.

I did send a message to Fishman support to ask them their thoughts.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 AM

Just buy a small stereo mixer and link them this way. It'll save you some headache latter. You can balance the vocals and instruments and have a master volume to raise the overall volume without affecting the vocal and instrument balance.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM

That might be the easiest solution. Would that mixer need to be powered?
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ10 View Post
That might be the easiest solution. Would that mixer need to be powered?
No. A non powered mixer, like the Behringer 1202fx works great for duo's. A step up would be the Allen and Heath Zed 10fx. You could make the move to Powered speakers with these mixers for more power if needed.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ10 View Post
Slim, thank you! so much for doing the leg work ... these are really things that neither of us understand all that much. If we are going to use a mixer, we might just end up using the TurboSound for both of us, which has plenty of power for two guitars and two mics.

I'm also wondering if he uses something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SY300_.jpg

if we would be able to put his mic and his guitar through the same channel, adjusting the guitar sound on the guitar. I guess we'll have to try a couple of different things to see what works best.

I did send a message to Fishman support to ask them their thoughts.

My pleasure!

That adaptor you found would work although, as you've identified, it would be a challenge to mix.

I agree with Roger. A small mixer would be easier and give you more flexibility. I have owned a couple of Zeds. They are great mixers. Before you buy an analog mixer, check out digital/wifi enabled mixers. I went that route and could not be happier.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM

+1 on the Allen and Heath Zed 10fx.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification