The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertR213 View Post
I posted awhile ago trying to get opinions on either buying a 335 and a les Paul and as you can tell by the title I bought a 335. I am going to class to learn jazz and had the 335 set up with some thomasik jazz swings and it sounds amazing! Anyone here have any amp suggestions that would sound great with a 335? I've been leaning towards a 65 deluxe reverb reissue since it has a lot of praise going for it, I will probably take my guitar to guitar center one of these days and see how they match up. I love that Wes Montgomery tone so if anyone also any suggestions on getting closer to that sort of sound I would appreciate it, thanks!

Oh and I'll add some pictures since I forgot to make a NGD post when I got it.

IMO the ES 335 is the best guitar in the Gibson line up. It does almost everything except metal. The DRRI is a very nice amp to go with it.

I own the set up myself.

Wes used a L5/L7 which is a true hollowbody and not a semi hollowbody, and flat wound strings with is have much less sustain.

Turn down the tone knob and see what ya can do sound wise.
Should work
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM

I think this is a great example of sweet, 335 neck tones. The amp is a Goldtone GA-15.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think this is a great example of sweet, 335 neck tones. The amp is a Goldtone GA-15.
That's a different Gibson head stock than I've seen on an ES-335 before. Anyone know the significance?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
That's a different Gibson head stock than I've seen on an ES-335 before. Anyone know the significance?
Blunote - are you referring to the crown inlay? Some 335s have that as does my 335 bass. CS models have the diamond inlay.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM

No, I have a crown inlay on my Gibson acoustic. I was referring to the shape. It's more of a snake-head shaped headstock -narrower a the end. Almost all the Gibsons I've seen flare out to a wider end like the one in the OP.

It could designate a non-US built instrument or have some other significance.

I don't know.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Maybe it's a custom shop guitar.

I like that headstock shape. The shallower angle from nut to tuner might help strings return to pitch more easily after heavy bending.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars