The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Oxwood Electric

Hey Guys, I've spent all of my time since joining this forum in the custom shop as an acoustic guitar builder. Last year, I was fortunate enough to land a job in the Gretsch Custom Shop working under Steven Stern. I've since left and started my own company, Oxwood Handmade, but have added electric guitars to my bag of tricks. They're a lot of fun and I just wanted to share my most recent completed build...a Tele/Jaguar/Les Paul Jr. inspired custom guitar. The customer and I designed this together based on the things he really wanted out of a guitar.

- Alder Body
- Maple Neck (bolt on)
- Rosewood Fingerboard- 25.5" Scale Length
- Gotoh Tele Bridge- String through body
- Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge position
- Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 neck pickup
- Volume/Tone/3 Way pickup selector switch

He didn't care for any of the fancies like a bound body or coil cutting, just a solidly built guitar that he designed with his choice of pickups. I put 4 conductor pickups in it so he'd have the option in the future. Anyway, without further ado...

Thanks for looking, feel free to comment! I'm also taking custom orders. I'll be posting up a couple more builds here shortly for a couple of my '62 model. Stay tuned!

Brad
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Like a Telecaster for a guy who wants something that looks a little different.... I like it.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Straightforward, simple and functional. Did you plug it in and let it rip?

Will you offer any ergonomic options? For me, I need a belly carve and can't buy an electric without one. I kind of like the arm contour as well, although as thin as electric guitars usually, that's not as big an issue as the belly carve.

Are these your necks as well? Hope you get some traction with these!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Like a Telecaster for a guy who wants something that looks a little different.... I like it.
Yes, Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Straightforward, simple and functional. Did you plug it in and let it rip?

Will you offer any ergonomic options? For me, I need a belly carve and can't buy an electric without one. I kind of like the arm contour as well, although as thin as electric guitars usually, that's not as big an issue as the belly carve.

Are these your necks as well? Hope you get some traction with these!
Oh I sure did! The hot rail has a mean output. He's got a Doc Z 18 watt combo. He set the master volume on the amp below one for his band practice. It's pretty crazy what good electronic components and solid hardware can do for tone!

For me, I'd have done series/parallel/coil cut switches for the pickups, since they're both humbuckers. You don't always use them but it's certainly nice to be able to find multiple sounds in the same guitar. Nice to get screaming highs for leads by cutting a coil on the bridge pickup, too.

I will definitely do body contours, aint no thang! And yes, I built that neck. I hope they get some traction, too! They're a lot of fun to build and I think i have them priced right...? Have you visited my new website MikealPine? I'm working up drawings for a couple new models of electrics, one Duo-Jet type thing and I'm still dreaming for the other. Probably some sort of symmetrical, double cut semi-hollow. Both set necks, spanish cedar body/maple tops, etc.

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Brad
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM

I've got series/parallel/coil tap bling on one of my guitars and never use it. Well ok once in a great while I use it just to see what it does. Then I think it sounds like crap and go back to the full humbuckers

I like it, nice and simple.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've got series/parallel/coil tap bling on one of my guitars and never use it. Well ok once in a great while I use it just to see what it does. Then I think it sounds like crap and go back to the full humbuckers

I like it, nice and simple.
Thanks redir! Yea, it's not for everyone. I guess probably if a guy/gal were trying to write real eccentric or experimental music where they just weren't happy with the standard guitar sounds...like Brian May's phase switches. I've played a guitar with the pickups out of phase and couldn't imagine ever doing it on purpose.

Brad
Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Brad, I haven't seen the new site yet, but will look. The more I use coils taps, I find I typically like them when I tap one HB and use it with the other untapped. I find when tapped, the volume change makes them sound thin. Hoping to change that with a guitar I just ordered custom pickups for, where the winder winds them asymmetrically, so when split, you still get single coil sound, but without as pronounced a volume drop. Won't have them for about two months, though. I'll report in when I do.

Looking forward to checking out what you've got going in, Brad.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks Micheal.

I got the guitar finished up. Very fun to play. Here it is:

Old 05-20-2014, 06:35 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars