The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Spent some time with the American Standard Teles

I spent a couple of hours with the American Standards this weekend and really enjoyed it. The place I visited had two: a natural (ash) body example with a maple fingerboard and a black painted (alder) body example with a rosewood neck. Observations?

The natural/maple's fingerboard relief was too flat, causing a bit of buzz, but even filtering that out I could tell it had too much spank and ping on the top end attack and not enough sustain. It sounded VERY country. Because I'm a lefty playing righty my right hand is the struggle for me. As a residue from all the fingerstyle, I play with my right-hand fingers and nails some, and I find all that dynamic attack a bit to control. It's funny because I don't have that problem with my alder/maple Strat but perhaps the alder body is what makes the difference.

The alder/rosewood was different. Once I got settled in, I began to see what some of the fuss is about. This one was fairly light and very resonant and had gobs, gobs of sustain. I didn't expect to find myself winding the bass on a Deluxe Reverb almost all the way out, but this guitar wanted it. And what a sweet sound it is able to make! The attack and overtone bloom are a bit more moderated with this wood combo.

I'd love to compare an alder/maple Tele to the others now. By the way, the fingerboard radius is quite flat on these isn't it? The rosewood one felt especially flat.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Alder and maple is my sweet spot on a Tele - that's what mine is made of - and I've noticed that too. It has more sustain than a Tele seems like it should. There can be differences from slab to slab in bodies, too. BTW, they pair wonderfully with tweed Fenders. The Deluxe's large amount of natural compression and willingness to go dirty on demand make it a very intuitive combo to play.

I think the fretboard radius is speced the same as a Strat, but it does feel flatter and more comfortable to me too. The thickness and profile fit my hand better, especially for barre chords.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Bob, your observations seem right on to me. I would expect the Ash/Maple combination to have a lot of spank. I am assuming they both had the American Standard pickups. I have some vintage 7.25 necks and have grown fond of the 9.5 radius. When you get a chance you may want to try an American Deluxe version as they have the compound radius. Thanks for the report. -- Darwin
Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The American Standards currently have custom shop pickups in them, a "Twisted Tele" in the neck and a "Broadcaster" in the bridge position. According to those in the know they are quite clear but a little hotter than standard pickups. They are listed as having 9" radius necks. These appeared to be current guitars.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Bob, I couldn't remember but you are right on the 9" radius. The G&L tribute is 9.5. I do have a 2012 Candy Cola Tele which is the same as what you tried and it is a sweet guitar especially with the belly cut. -- Darwin
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Most players who do country add compression to even out the spank. I am guessing that's why the first one had that signature to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars