The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I recommend the book by Dave Hunter I think his name is..
"The Tube Amp Book"
or something like that.
When that book was done with me after having only one Mesa Boogie Combo for 20 years I went for a Victoria Tweed Baseman..Marshall hardwired JTM45 Stack..and a Vox AC30BM..
Great but dangerous book
Hey Athana, I bought that book a couple of years ago. It was great reading out on my back deck in the summer. It's this one
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Guitar-Amp-.../dp/087930863X

Hopefully the Fender book won't be "dangerous" for me
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Meh, what could go wrong reading a book or two on amps. I mean, it isn't as if you MUST go out and buy everything.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
Meh, what could go wrong reading a book or two on amps. I mean, it isn't as if you MUST go out and buy everything.

Jimmy, I should cancel the book order and just visit you. What are those Fender amps?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 AM

How's that Vibrolux RI? Been thinking about one for years as a companion/lighter alternative to my '65 Super RI, and I like the idea of trem/'verb in both channels; IMO with an A/B box it's the perfect lead/rhythm setup for a surf/oldies player - heard it gets dirty a bit quicker than a Super, though...

Gotta show this pic to my wife - she thinks we have too many amps as it is...
Old 05-03-2014, 01:27 PM

The Fender amps I have (or had some have changed) are:

66 Deluxe Reverb
66 Pro reverb
64 Vibroverb
Vibrolux Reverb Reissue
Blues Jr

I have to be honest I didn't like the Vibrolux RI. It had a background hiss all the time. I've read online there are mods you can do to resolve that but I just didn't see it as worth the effort.

The Pro Reverb is just too loud for home use. The killer in the bunch is the Vibroverb. Just awesome an amp.

Not pictured is a Super reverb RI I had. Great sound I just needed to move it for the space. And of course too big to move around a lot.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Athana, I bought that book a couple of years ago. It was great reading out on my back deck in the summer. It's this one
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Guitar-Amp-.../dp/087930863X

Hopefully the Fender book won't be "dangerous" for me
I think thats it..I gave the book to my brother 5 years or so ago.The book featured some of the great amps in one section viewing wiring & all.
THAT was the real brainwash section.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:06 PM

I got the book today. I haven't read any of it yet but it's 500 pages loaded with great pics and a DVD too (I think it has sound clips / videos). I'm on vacation this week so I'll be able to do a little reading.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
The Fender amps I have (or had some have changed) are:

66 Deluxe Reverb
66 Pro reverb
64 Vibroverb
Vibrolux Reverb Reissue
Blues Jr

I have to be honest I didn't like the Vibrolux RI. It had a background hiss all the time. I've read online there are mods you can do to resolve that but I just didn't see it as worth the effort.

The Pro Reverb is just too loud for home use. The killer in the bunch is the Vibroverb. Just awesome an amp.

Not pictured is a Super reverb RI I had. Great sound I just needed to move it for the space. And of course too big to move around a lot.
I used to go to a studio and like the sound of the Reissue Vibroverb..white knobs 30 watts yes? I had it on full. I could barely hear myself cause the guy who put the band together plugged in stereo into a pair of 4X12 Marshalls on either side of the room..
The guy wrote some fantastic songs but everything had to be the way he wanted it..you'd think he was the only guy paying for the studio time.
Only time I been kicked out of a band..guy said I played too much like Robert Fripp : (
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I used to go to a studio and like the sound of the Reissue Vibroverb..white knobs 30 watts yes? I had it on full. I could barely hear myself cause the guy who put the band together plugged in stereo into a pair of 4X12 Marshalls on either side of the room..
The guy wrote some fantastic songs but everything had to be the way he wanted it..you'd think he was the only guy paying for the studio time.
Only time I been kicked out of a band..guy said I played too much like Robert Fripp : (
Funny story. From what I hear the Vibroverb RI is an excellent amp too. I almost had one before I got the 64 at an estate sale believe it or not. A local guy who had a studio and gear passed away and there was a lot of stuff there. I got a some great studio monitors, mice, and misc stuff for a fair price. He had some Bose L1 systems but at the time I didn't know much about them. I passed on the Vibroverb RI cause at the time I wasn't in the market for an amp.

Sad part is when my guitar teacher came to my house next and saw the gear he recognized it. The guy who passed away was another student he hadn't heard from and he didn't know why.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars