The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Default G-string dies

Does every classical guitar have the same problem?

The G-string on mine, no matter what brand I use is much less bright, 'thuddy', and no sustain.

Do any of you experience this?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
Does every classical guitar have the same problem?

The G-string on mine, no matter what brand I use is much less bright, 'thuddy', and no sustain.

Do any of you experience this?
Yes, the G string is usually the "weakest" of the set.

There are two ways around the problem:

First way is to use a set with a wound G string (metal wound on nylon multifilament) rather than the traditional monofilament one - many manufacturers offer the option of a set with a wound 3rd.

Second way is to use a G string of a higher tension. For example if you are using a low or medium tension set, replace the set G string with a single G string of a higher tension.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Per Garthman, the GHS Set 2510 comes with a wound 3rd. I use it and have been pretty satisfied with it. That set is all nickel wound and lasts 4-eva. But, I still experiment with other sets. I'm using a set of Savarez Alliance mediums on one guitar at the moment and the G string holds its own. I've been playing it going on 2 weeks.

In my bit of research I learned that hard tension gives volume and lesser tensions are tone shapers. It comes down to the quality of the guitar for what it actually gives, doesn't give and if the tension of the string can factor into it. String experimentation is much more results-oriented on a classical (nylon) string guitar than on a steel string guitar.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM

The problem is most classical guitars have tuddy G or #G note regardless of the string.

I have a Yamaha GC41 that do not have this thuddy G-string with a conventional nylon treble. I tested the Dogal Diamante treble on my Yamaha GC41, S.Yairi 950, Esteve Adilid and D, Hippner. Only the Hippner has the tuddy G-string. Problem solved with a wound G-String.

Savarez wound aluminium Model: 577R G-string is by far the best that I have tested and the string lasts very long. It serves as a very good transition from the wounded bass to the nylon treble. Most wound G-strings do not last except for the 577R that I have tested.

To a lesser extent, you can reduce the tuddy note by compensating the saddle on the G-string.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM

The Oasis strings have solved the G problem for me!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Default Thanks to you all for your help.....

solving this troublesome issue for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
The Oasis strings have solved the G problem for me!
Any particular set of Oass?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I've been using D'Addario EJ44C strings exlusively for most of the past year. They give you two G strings -- a traditional nylon and a composite nylon. I always throw the traditional in a drawer and put on the composite. It lasts longer and retains clarity and boldness as long as the other strings do. Gone are the days of a dead G string for me. I have no interest in trying other nylon strings any more. In fact, I preferred the Composites to the higher-prices Titaniums (tried two sets of those). I play my own flamenco-jazz pieces at gigs and find that these composites are just hitting their stride at the end of my gigs. In fact, I played for four and a half hours at last Saturday night's gig (had ONE 30 minute break in the middle) and the set of Composites that I put on before the gig were still very lively and new-sounding at the end of the gig. With most other brands and types I've found that the strings will start to lose their response and boldness after about two hours (I play pretty hard).
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM

Either one of these Oasis strings are fantastic!

http://oasishumidifiers.com/classical.html

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I've been using D'Addario EJ44C strings exlusively for most of the past year. They give you two G strings -- a traditional nylon and a composite nylon. I always throw the traditional in a drawer and put on the composite. It lasts longer and retains clarity and boldness as long as the other strings do. Gone are the days of a dead G string for me. I have no interest in trying other nylon strings any more. In fact, I preferred the Composites to the higher-prices Titaniums (tried two sets of those). I play my own flamenco-jazz pieces at gigs and find that these composites are just hitting their stride at the end of my gigs. In fact, I played for four and a half hours at last Saturday night's gig (had ONE 30 minute break in the middle) and the set of Composites that I put on before the gig were still very lively and new-sounding at the end of the gig. With most other brands and types I've found that the strings will start to lose their response and boldness after about two hours (I play pretty hard).
And my own claim that I wear out strings quickly is now claimed by another. For a while there I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong because I read all the time from other forumites that their strings last for months. I'm also an aggressive player (fingernails) and begin to see and hear imminently dying strings as late as 2 weeks (steel) and that or less (nylon) depending upon play. I'm taking off some Savarez Alliance mediums tonight to try a La Bella 850B-HT set. The Savarez have been on 2 weeks and they are raggedy.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
And my own claim that I wear out strings quickly is now claimed by another. For a while there I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong because I read all the time from other forumites that their strings last for months. I'm also an aggressive player (fingernails) and begin to see and hear imminently dying strings as late as 2 weeks (steel) and that or less (nylon) depending upon play. I'm taking off some Savarez Alliance mediums tonight to try a La Bella 850B-HT set. The Savarez have been on 2 weeks and they are raggedy.
I wear out strings quickly too. Within 2 weeks of playing I find that I'm down to the copper on traditional silver-plated copper nylon strings. That's one of the reasons why I like the La Bella 850B-HT sets - the basses are bronze-wound and they last a lot longer than silver-plated copper.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Default G-string dies

That caught me attention........thanks for the reality check.

gstring
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post

Yes... I think there are more of us than you think. Many nylon players play very delicately, have low-acidity in their finger oils, etc. But I "get on it" when I play and wring every last drop out of the strings. I've got a wide vibrato and pick very heavily (my playing could be described as "snappy"). Those two facts cause a lot of wear on the strings and use up their life a lot quicker than a delicate player.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM

This thread is not about what I thought it was about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical