The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Neck and shoulder pain

Have been working hard recently to get my playing going again after a summer/fall with little time to practice. I'm having difficulties with pain and stiffness in my neck and left shoulder after about 20 minutes of playing. Have tried varying the height of the footrest and even changing chairs. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Don't like having to call it quits with so little time in on each session, but it's hard to keep playing when your shoulder and neck are screaming 'STOP'. This is getting to be a real drag!

Any suggestions?
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM

Does it happen with all guitar sizes? It sounds backwards, but I've found that a larger guitar fits me better when my body is tired.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM

i suspect that neck pain is from trying to see what you re playing so don't do it too much or try to have your neck relaxed
as for shoulder i think you are building the muscles you have forgotten all summer/ fall
15 minutes of yoga every day will work wonders on your shoulder and neck ...also your back and all your body

Last edited by Paikon; 11-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 AM

It has a lot to do with your sitting posture.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Does it happen with all guitar sizes? It sounds backwards, but I've found that a larger guitar fits me better when my body is tired.
Mostly with my classical as that's what I'm playing and studying right now, but it was a struggle to play in church on Sunday and that's with my dreadnaught which I play standing.
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM

I play guitar till it hurts, then pick up my baritone ukelele & I can continue playing, as it's very light on my neck & shoulders & it's not as large to have to stretch my arm & shoulder around. It helps tremendously. It's tuned DGBE the same as the top 4 strings of my guitar, so it's the same as guitar, but without the 2 thickest strings. The thinner neck is easy to use too. Could be worth a try for you?

Last edited by countryuke; 11-26-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: additional information supplied
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

+1 on checking posture. Is your shoulder hunched up, tensed, while you are playing? Are you putting increased stress on your arm or fretting hand?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM

It depends on whether or not there's a medical reason for your neck and shoulder pain. I deal with chronic pain from cervical spondlyosis and stenosis, also in the lumbar region. If it's not medical then part of it could be allowing your body time to adjust to playing again.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM

A trip to Massage Envy once a month or so will help too. I know, I know, that's not for me...

Trust me though, once you try it you'll be hooked!

Incidentally, it's not a bad couples' activity either.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM

i had severe pain in my neck and shoulder. i was unable to play. it turn out to be trigger points in my left forearm. it took me much research to find that out.
check this guy out.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...nathan+kuttner
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNLim View Post
It has a lot to do with your sitting posture.
Very true. Have you tried a guitar support, musictag? That sure helped my back issues from playing for long periods

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Are you sure you are not somehow twisting your body into an un-ergonimic position? Even a very slight misalignment can lead to pain. You should go and see a good classical player/teacher as soon as possible. It is likely they will have you make numerous small adjustments of posture, seat contact, right and left arm positions, wrist positions. If everything is correct, you should not be having pain.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictag View Post
Have been working hard recently to get my playing going again after a summer/fall with little time to practice. I'm having difficulties with pain and stiffness in my neck and left shoulder after about 20 minutes of playing. Have tried varying the height of the footrest and even changing chairs. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Don't like having to call it quits with so little time in on each session, but it's hard to keep playing when your shoulder and neck are screaming 'STOP'. This is getting to be a real drag!

Any suggestions?
Are any of them cocobolo?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM

I never was comfortable with my foot lifted up. I have used a Dynarette for over 10 years now. http://www.vamu.se/
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM

After back surgery years ago, and luckily no issues, I still love using the neck up support on all of my guitars. Easy to travel with too!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical