The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-02-2023, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm a pajama performer

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-02-2023, 09:45 PM

I’m obviously the only woman responding to this post, but I like to wear something I feel good wearing. Has to feel comfortable, but I need to feel like I look good. Usually nice jeans with a top with beads or embroidery, kind of boho.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 05-03-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
I’m obviously the only woman responding to this post, but I like to wear something I feel good wearing. Has to feel comfortable, but I need to feel like I look good. Usually nice jeans with a top with beads or embroidery, kind of boho.
Hi Jean, good to hear from you in the "boy's club" but I think most feel similarly (perhaps minus the beads and embroidery).

I think /hope, the days of musos performing to crowds looking like street people has worn as thin as their torn t-shirts.

Mind you I wouldn't want to go back to the times of tuxedos and bow ties with female performers wearing ball gowns!
Old 05-03-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Always dress one step above the audience was the rule I was taught and it has never failed me.
Generally I'd agree with this.

"Jazz casual" might be jacket, sport shirt untucked, no tie, hipster sneakers or other snazzy kicks. I have a pair of blue suede oxfords that work. Pants variable. On the dressy side but not suit pants.

For weddings usually a suit and tie but I try not stand out because the focus is not on me. So dark colors for example. This is one place where the "step above" rule might not apply.

For gb gigs with other people the bandleader often communicates the dress code. Still, I weigh that against experience of how the other players tend to dress. Some people can make "Jacket and tie" look pretty sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think /hope, the days of musos performing to crowds looking like street people has worn as thin as their torn t-shirts.
For folk music, non gb, to me the style sort of dictates that you dont look too dressed up. Notable exceptions are the suit and tie bluegrass like Tony Rice or any number of traditional acts. But yeah- it does get a bit tired when it looks as if the musicians are intentionally looking trashy. It borders on disrespectful.

Last edited by marciero; 05-03-2023 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I have some specific stage shirts, lots of black. Black or blue jeans.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-03-2023, 07:01 AM

I usually wear one of the shirts my wife made for me - colorful but not obnoxious - with black pants.

I like to wear a hat on stage to cut the glare, but in a longer show I usually switch instruments a lot (we played Monday and I switched between acoustic/electric/lap, mandolin and harmonica). So I wear a beret, and if you're going to be that pretentious, it might as well be purple.

D.H.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post

For weddings usually a suit and tie but I try not stand out because the focus is not on me. So dark colors for example. This is one place where the "step above" rule might not apply.
This is a very good point. Unless it's a band situation where the leader says "black tie" I dress BELOW the wedding party. That's their day for tuxes. I wear a dark suit and play my cocktail music out of the way

I've also done country gigs where the leader had a dress code in mind. Band leaders wishes always come first. That's why I have both a goodwill tux and a pair of cowboy boots in my closet

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-04-2023, 11:30 PM

It's funny -- gig wear in So Cal is influenced by the fact that almost no venue has a place to put your coat or jacket. If it's a loud gig, jacket gets stuffed behind the amp. If it's acoustic, you either drag it back out to the car or you wear it onstage.

Couch Standards
Old 05-04-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I've also done country gigs where the leader had a dress code in mind. Band leaders wishes always come first. That's why I have both a goodwill tux and a pair of cowboy boots in my closet
A friend is Dwight Yoakam's drummer and musical director. Dwight has Red nights, White nights, and Blue nights so you dress accordingly. And so do the guitars and drums. My friend is a Mapex endorser and they gave him a brown kit. Dwight doesn't have any Brown nights. So it sat in my studio for several years.

Couch Standards
Old 05-04-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm a pajama performer
I think I saw you in the supermarket at 2am.

Couch Standards
Old 05-05-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I usually wear one of the shirts my wife made for me - colorful but not obnoxious - with black pants.

I like to wear a hat on stage to cut the glare, but in a longer show I usually switch instruments a lot (we played Monday and I switched between acoustic/electric/lap, mandolin and harmonica). So I wear a beret, and if you're going to be that pretentious, it might as well be purple.

D.H.
I thought pretentious required a raspberry beret. You know, the kind you find in a second-hand store...
Old 05-06-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I thought pretentious required a raspberry beret. You know, the kind you find in a second-hand store...
Pretentious is as pretentious does (bought new, though).

Old 05-07-2023, 07:21 AM

I always try to dress a little bit better than the audience. Unless you're in a grunge band (I'm not), dressing down is insulting.

I have more don'ts than dos:

- No sneakers
- No shorts
- No tee-shirts (except under a real shirt)
- No baseball caps
- No advertising (like beer brands or swooshes
- No leather (except shoes)
- No holes

What I do wear depends on the occasion. I play at pubs more than anything else. For those, I might wear:

- Dress shirts, cowboy shirts, or Hawiian shirts.
- Vests (with dress shirts)
- Street shoes, cowboy boots, or (if it's real hot) sandals
- blue jeans or corduroy jeans

Once in a while I have a gig that calls for something dressier — maybe jacket, time, and wingtips. Fine with me. For playing out in the sun (patios, farmers markets), I often wear a cowboy hat or sometimes a fedora. No hats indoors.

Now you know.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
When i was playing in a Country band we played an opening for Sawyer Brown I think it was. I got there early to check my gear and tune. I carried my stage clothes and was wearing a T-shirt and some cut-off jeans. The musicians were just milling around on stage, we hadn't even seen the two women who fronted the band yet when the stage manager came up and said, "Pick up your instruments, we're going NOW!" "Huh!? I gotta change!" "No time. Lets go!"

So we started the opening riff of the first song, the two ladies magically appeared and off we went. And now, thirty-five years later, I have some wonderful videos of me playing a professional gig in a T-shirt and cut-offs while everybody else is properly dressed. It looks like the real bass player hadn't showed up and they grabbed some guy out
That is funny! BTW, you're a great singer, player.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Always dress one step above the audience was the rule I was taught and it has never failed me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
+1 to this. People should be able to tell you're the band/performer.
So that would be like what these chaps do ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write