The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 PM

I told my playing partner we need to build a stand with a big three foot red arrow pointing at the tip jar and set it right next to it. He liked the idea.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-14-2017, 01:09 PM

I subbed in a band once ("outlaw" country music) that had theirs labelled "bail money."

They got a lot of chuckles. And tips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM

I don't really have any "sayings" (some of these are fantastic), but, you always want to "prime" your tip jar with some of your own money. As folks see this they figure others have contributed and willingly (hopefully) fall in line. Having a clear jar or container lets folks view this and offers them the chance to jump in.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

A guy who used to play around Jackson Hole was really good at parody and had a standard size metal trash can with a TIPS sign with 4 in. tall letters on it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Haven't done it yet, but there have been times when I've been tempted to put two Mason jars in each offering plate at church, one labeled "Keep Playing" and the other one "Hush."

cotten
Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Joe wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
So this isn't a thread of whether or not a tip jar is appropriate, so please don't turn it into that discussion. For those who use tip jar when performing live, what are some clever ways to reference your tip jar without explicitly referencing your tip jar?

For example, someone on another thread said they named their tip jar "Phil" and introduce him to the crowd. Another example someone posted is to say their tip jar is really fund raising for guitar lessons. What do you say to make the audience aware that you have a tip jar?
Honestly, Joe, I've always found it best to make sure the tip jar is made out of a clear material (usually either a dry, clean beer pitcher or a clear plastic jar,) labeled "THANKS!" and placed where it can be seen by the audience, nothing more. If the tip jar is visible, getting on the mic and making a big deal about it can generate backlash from both the audience and the venue's management. It can be counterproductive, especially if you alienate the person who books the club (and, yes, I learned that the hard way.)

Stratcat (and his friend, TeleBelly) wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I don't usually use a tip jar, but have seen some cleaver messages.

TIPS - They're like hugs without the awkward body contact

TIPS - Help keep our children from being musicians
Extra points for "They're like hugs without the awkward body contact!"

Jazzbo Mr. Beaumont wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I subbed in a band once ("outlaw" country music) that had theirs labelled "bail money."

They got a lot of chuckles. And tips.
Now, I wish I'd thought of that one!

Back before I started getting many bar gigs I played music on the sidewalk in the Westport Square nightclub district in Kansas City. I actually did pretty well at it financially, and learning how to build and control a crowd was valuable training for when I did start playing in clubs full time.

Anyway, one night a couple of my friends and I were out on the corner of Pennsylvania St. and Westport Road, kitty corner across from Kelly's Tavern, and I got the bright idea of putting up a sign that read:

"All donations go to the Starving Musicians Fund."

We had that sign up for maybe fifteen minutes, and passersby laughed and sometimes tossed in some money without even stopping to listen. But sure enough, a cop came by and asked me:

"What's 'the Starving Musicians Fund?' "

I told him: "That's us; that's the name of our band. We're "The Starving Musicians Fund!' "

He got an irked look on his face and said: "Get rid of the sign."

"Yes, sir."

"Yes, sir."

"Yes, sir."

Well, we got away with it for a good fifteen minutes, anyway.....

Islandguitar wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I don't really have any "sayings" (some of these are fantastic), but, you always want to "prime" your tip jar with some of your own money. As folks see this they figure others have contributed and willingly (hopefully) fall in line. Having a clear jar or container lets folks view this and offers them the chance to jump in.
Exactly. I always salted the till.

I remember once on this forum when we were discussing this topic, when I mentioned that it was a good idea to put a couple of bills in the jar to start with, somebody else on the forum just became enraged, and really jumped down my throat about it. My explanation that it was out of simple necessity enraged him further.

So the subject in general does strike a nerve with some folks. My general impression is that the folks who get angriest have never personally needed to rely on tips for a portion of their income. It's easy to become indignant about it if tipping is a mere abstraction to you, and nothing more.

Then Jack and Troy wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Keep it simple. Label saying THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by troystory92 View Post
If you're good, people will leave money.
I know me, personally, am turned off when people reference to tip.
I agree with both statements. Keep it simple and keep it off the microphone.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM

I labelled my old tip bucket "Retirement Fund." I put it a few feet away so people didn't have to feel they were invading personal space. I had one person look in and say, "No early retirement for you...."
Old 07-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
When I was visiting Nashville last year one band attached the attractive young female singer to their tip jar and sent her carrying it around the place until it was properly filled.
I have had well-meaning patrons do this for me. After the 2nd time, I asked them very nicely not do that. Just not my thing to circulate the tip jar, but undoubtedly it works!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:52 PM

A sign reading "Ye Old Wishing Well" seems compelling.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 PM

Lots of very clever signs here!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Exactly. I always salted the till.

I remember once on this forum when we were discussing this topic, when I mentioned that it was a good idea to put a couple of bills in the jar to start with, somebody else on the forum just became enraged, and really jumped down my throat about it. My explanation that it was out of simple necessity enraged him further.
The internet is a weird place.

Everybody: ALWAYS start the tip jar off with some money of your own - if for no other reason than to let people know "this is the tip jar".
Old 07-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I'm the OP. A little background on the root thoughts of this thread: I play mostly restaurant gigs now (after two decades of gigging I now leave the 10PM-1AM bar gigs to the younger guys/gals, haha). In some restaurant/bars, the positioning of the musician isn't elevated for the entire restaurant to see. Some tables can only hear and not see me playing at all.

Long story short, I get comments sometimes like: "Ya know, I've seen and heard you playing here for months and only now have I noticed that you have a tip jar. Great music man. (As they drop a $20 in my tip jar)." In one restaurant/bar that I gig, my position is right along the only exit path out of the restaurant, and in this restaurant EVERY table can see me while I'm playing. Because they can see me while they're eating and have time to notice my tip jar, and probably also because they can inconspicuously drop tip in as they walk out, I do very well with tips, often breaking the century mark. So scenarios where you're perfectly visible by the audience and it's obvious you have a tip jar really don't apply to this thread I guess?

So my question with this thread was to see if there was a clever way to let people know I have a tip jar, without actually soliciting it explicitly (e.g. saying something like "hey everyone I have a tip jar!" --- now that's tacky haha!) on the mic. I have a personal policy that I will NEVER ask or solicit for tips. I know it works (i.e. sending a pretty girl around with a bucket), I do not disagree that it is effective, it's just not my style. I don't knock you all who do it because I bet you rake in some awesome tips, it's just my choice not to solicit. I guess if people like my music then they will tip. But what I know for certain from experience is that if they don't know you accept tips (i.e. they can't see your tip jar) they more than likely will not tip even if they want to. Only those who aren't afraid to interact directly with you will walk up and hand you tip directly - but those people are few.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to basically execute this idea to the audience elegantly:

"Hey everyone, there is definitely no obligation to give gratuity, but I accept it if you'd be so kind."

The more and more I think about it, I don't know if there is an elegant or tactful way to get that across?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
The more and more I think about it, I don't know if there is an elegant or tactful way to get that across?
Not without alienating those who are bound and determined to be offended, there isn't.

The first thing I would do in your situation is talk to the owner/manager of the place where your tip jar is hard to see and your tips are minimal as a result. It's a touchy issue for lots of folks, so you should probably tell her or him the difference in the results that you're seeing between venues.

But the tipping set up in a venue is never the sort of thing where the performer can push hard to achieve what they want. So, as our British cousins would say, softly, softly...

whm
Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
... My general impression is that the folks who get angriest have never personally needed to rely on tips for a portion of their income. It's easy to become indignant about it if tipping is a mere abstraction to you, and nothing more.
Again and again I hear the best tippers are those who have had to rely on tips for an important part of their income, and the worst tippers are folks who have always enjoyed a higher income.

Ironic.

Last edited by Tico; 07-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Again and again I've heard the best tippers are those who have had to rely on tips for an important part of their income, and the worst tipper are folks who have always enjoyed a higher income.
Oh, absolutely. No question about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Ironic.
Well, that's life.

When I was playing in Chicago Irish bars for a living, the best audiences I ever had were when there were a lot of off-duty cops in the room. If you can't win them over, they're an awful audience, but if they like you cops are the best, and excellent tippers, too.

The worst audiences I've encountered during bar and casual gigs have been when I've been unfortunate enough to have to try to entertain a roomful of lawyers. They're deeply unpleasant when they cluster. I mentioned that once to my father. He responded with uncharacteristic foul language about lawyers' group behavior.

I was a little shocked, since Dad normally never talked that way, but he was right.

As for those occasions when I've played private parties and weddings for the truly wealthy, they don't tip at all. They all just blithely assume "it's been taken care of..."

Which it had been, but they do have an air of blissful unconcern that they're cocooned in.

Working class people when they're celebrating are the best tippers, in my experience. Those who have the least to give, give the most generously.

Wade Hampton Miller

* Not how he actually phrased it....

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 07-15-2017 at 04:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion