The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Beginner Question?

Let's say I do drum and bass tracks in Band In a Box, convert it to mp3 and open it in Audacity. I want to, then, add acoustic guitar parts using a pair of condenser mics into the Scarlett 2i2. Now, I know I can monitor what I'm playing with headphones in the 2i2 but how do I hear the drum and bass tracks so I can play to them and not have the mics pick that signal up?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Let's say I do drum and bass tracks in Band In a Box, convert it to mp3 and open it in Audacity. I want to, then, add acoustic guitar parts using a pair of condenser mics into the Scarlett 2i2. Now, I know I can monitor what I'm playing with headphones in the 2i2 but how do I hear the drum and bass tracks so I can play to them and not have the mics pick that signal up?

You should be hearing both the live instrument(s) and the playback through the headphones. Only thing I don't see is a way to adjust the level of live vs playback volume.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You just need to import them into the same session/project (whatever Audacity calls it) Then when you record arm the new tracks you are going to be recording and when you hit play to record it, should play back everything in the session
Also I would not convert them if Band in box records WAV files just keep them as WAV

I am not familiar with Audacity but you should have volume controls on all tracks so you should be able to set the record volume on those tracks and then adjust the volume of the other tracks. So everything is coming through the HP's and will not bleed into the mics

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Now that I think about it, I could just unplug the speaker system from the computer. Would that solve the problem?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I could just unplug the speaker system from the computer. Would that solve the problem?

You don't have to unplug anything. Just turn down the big monitor knob. That will stop sound from coming out your speakers. The headphones have a separate volume control.

Both playback from Audacity and live guitar signal will come through the headphones.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 AM

Many systems shut down audio output to the speakers when you plug in the headphones anyway, so you may be worrying about nothing. You can also set the playback and recording device in Audacity. I have used it to record audio from Youtube when I cannot download audio directly. The Audacity Forums are very informative on most subjects/.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Your speakers should be plugged into the Scarlett, not directly into the computer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

The Focusrite only has left and right line out - you need a power amp or powered cabinets to do this. My speaker system is a Fostex monitor set with a pair of desktop speakers and a separate sub woofer, all of which come out of my desktop computer with a single cable. If I'm not mistaken, the power amp is in the sub with a crossover and powers it AND the desktop speakers. The problem is: I don't want to hear the already recorded tracks through the speakers as it will pick up in the mic that I'm using to record the acoustic guitar track. I'm new to this, I want to monitor the existing tracks in the headphones along with the acoustic track that I'm recording. Do the already recorded tracks play back through the headphones when I'm recording? If not, how would I do it? I know that the interface manual will probably explain this but I don't have it yet.

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 06-19-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Hi Skip,

Sounds like you are using the built-in audio of the PC for playback.

If you can you need to set the audio output device in Audacity to be the Focusrite device, not the built-in audio.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Focusrite only has left and right line out - you need a power amp or powered cabinets to do this. My speaker system is a Fostex monitor set with a pair of desktop speakers and a separate sub woofer, all of which come out of my desktop computer with a single cable. If I'm not mistaken, the power amp is in the sub with a crossover and powers it AND the desktop speakers. The problem is: I don't want to hear the already recorded tracks through the speakers as it will pick up in the mic that I'm using to record the acoustic guitar track. I'm new to this, I want to monitor the existing tracks in the headphones along with the acoustic track that I'm recording. Do the already recorded tracks play back through the headphones when I'm recording? If not, how would I do it? I know that the interface manual will probably explain this but I don't have it yet.
Ah this explains the situation a bit better, so in reverse order.

Yes the pre recorded tracks will play back through the HP' out on the Focusrite , along with the track you are recording (as per my previous post #3 ) . BUT as paulp 1960, stated . If you are using the computer as the output device, you will have to instead make the focusrite the audio output device ("Playback Device" in Audacity "Device Toolbar" ) . You can then change the "Playback Device" back and forth, for checking the mix on the speakers or when recording with the HP's .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 AM

The 'single line' out of the computer is 3-conductor stereo (L, R, common), you just need an adapter to go from the Focusrite's two outputs to a stereo jack to plug in that monitor system.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The 'single line' out of the computer is 3-conductor stereo (L, R, common), you just need an adapter to go from the Focusrite's two outputs to a stereo jack to plug in that monitor system.
Good point Mike no doubt the converters in the focusrite are better than the ones in the computer

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Yes once I've added a decent USB audio interface to a machine I stop using the built-in sound. If you want to do this just get the right cables or cable adaptors to be able to use your existing powered speakers with the Focusrite.

I would recommend something better than Audacity for multi-track recording.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Yes once I've added a decent USB audio interface to a machine I stop using the built-in sound. If you want to do this just get the right cables or cable adaptors to be able to use your existing powered speakers with the Focusrite.

I would recommend something better than Audacity for multi-track recording.
Audacity works just fine for my simple needs and I know how to make it do what I need it to do - anything else is superfluous to me - don't need a bunch of plug-ins, etc. I will look into bypassing the internal sound card and just using the interface.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Presonus studio 1 free version:

https://shop.presonus.com/products/s...io-One-3-Prime
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD