The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 AM

I've owned both and have always had annoying intonation issues with my Gibsons. They're also heavy... and expensive. I've never figured out why though. The binding/sanding/paint and finishing on several higher level models I've owned seemed really sloppy as compared to Fender. It's also been a challenge working them into more acoustic-based, ambient combos as the Les Paul is really more of a thick sounding rock guitar and meant to be cranked up, IMO.
A Strat, on the other hand, spans all genres and the quality level line between "low and high end" is almost non-exsistent anymore. They are easier to tweak, upgrade, customize and play and the price-point is much more assessable.
The resale value on an average, newer model Les Paul is also pretty sad, so for shelling out so much, know you're not really making any kind of investment.

Last edited by Fairlight; 06-13-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
The resale value on an average, newer model Les Paul is also pretty sad, so for shelling out so much, know you're not really making any kind of investment.
Cannot the same be said for your Taylor 816...?? Some things just sound better on a Les Paul while others just sound better on a Strat...I have both and would never get rid of either of of em...
Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
I've owned both and have always had annoying intonation issues with my Gibsons. They're also heavy... and expensive. I've never figured out why though. The binding/sanding/paint and finishing on several higher level models I've owned seemed really sloppy as compared to Fender. It's also been a challenge working them into more acoustic-based, ambient combos as the Les Paul is really more of a thick sounding rock guitar and meant to be cranked up, IMO.
A Strat, on the other hand, spans all genres and the quality level line between "low and high end" is almost non-exsistent anymore. They are easier to tweak, upgrade, customize and play and the price-point is much more assessable.
Just saw this post. My first reaction to your comment - "and expensive. I've never figured out why though" - is that a Stratocaster is a simpler instrument that should be less expensive to manufacture than a Les Paul, assuming comparable quality materials, yet you can spend just as much for Strat depending on the level of finish and components.

I don't know about using a Les Paul for "acoustic-based, ambient combos" but I'd suggest that you consider the name, Les Paul, before concluding that it's simply a thick sounding rock guitar. Sure, it (along with the Strat) is renowned as a rock guitar. But Les Paul and others have used it over the decades for jazz, country, and other non-rock forms. If I had to choose between a Les Paul and a Strat for jazz, or really for most non-rock music, my choice would be the Les Paul ... or a Telecaster.

I play a Gibson ES339 and a G&L ASAT Bluesboy. For my use, either of these guitars is more versatile than a conventional (SSS) Strat.

I'm also not sure that I agree with your observation that "the quality level line between 'low and high end' is almost non-existent anymore." Of course, it would help if low and high end were defined. Is the low end a Squier Affinity, a Squier Classic Vibe, or a Fender Standard (MIM)? Is the high end an American Professional or a Custom Shop? Even if its Fender Standard vs American Professional, there is a pretty substantial gap in component quality as well as finish and feel.

The components of a Standard can be easily upgraded, but it still won't have the feel, particularly in the neck, of an American Professional. At least, that has been my experience. That's not to suggest that a Fender Standard is a poor guitar. Far from it. But I've recently played some of the new American Professional guitars that seemed to be several notches above the Standard.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:14 AM

You have both and a Tele.

The Collection 2 by , on Flickr

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
Cannot the same be said for your Taylor 816...?
I don't think so. In the last two years I traded in a Tele Deluxe, a LP Standard and a Taylor 714-all at the same location. I was able to get a much higher return on the acoustic. The Tele was second and the LP was third... by a long shot. Not sure if it's that way across the board, but based on original cost and resale value, in my experience, LP's are overpriced.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg

At the 3:35 mark, this guy has something to say about Strat vs Les Paul
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM

short scale...long scale... humbuckers or single coils........2 totally different guitars and sounds why not both?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudd View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg At the 3:35 mark, this guy has something to say about Strat vs Les Paul
Mark Knopfler is my Moms favorite guitarist (just to spite me, she knows I'm the best ) I sent her the link.

Strats, Teles, LPs, metal guitars, etc... Different tones for various music.
I just love guitars!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Guest 429

post deleted.

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-01-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Les Pauls are more of a work of art visually, but in most other areas I think a strat wins. Much bigger tonal palette, much more comfortable sitting or standing, much less fragile, much cheaper.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

And people are still missing the point of the OP's post these weeks later.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 PM

is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange the Les Paul has a 1 piece top?

wasn't it standard to have a 2 piece slip matched (as opposed to book matched) top back then?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
And people are still missing the point of the OP's post these weeks later.

Bob
It just goes to show many people don't read before posting!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
It just goes to show many people don't read before posting!
I read...I looked...posted...then researched...

that Les Paul is fake...a one piece top just doesn't add up...a 2 piece top with an off center seam is historically correct (intended as a gold, then made into a burst)...one piece?????

solly Charley, no go...

$395,000 for a counterfeit? caveat emptor!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:06 AM

I'd be very surprised if a fake slipped by the appraisers at Rumble Seat. They're one of the few dealers that routinely deal with 50s Fenders and Gibsons, Dumble amps, and other rare gear.

I mean, I'm not saying it couldn't be, but it'd have to be an exceptionally good one.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars