The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Try to find a used Martin B1 - all solid Mahogany and Spruce...
No question about the construction quality - or the tonal potential in the right hands - but the OP's wife is an absolute beginner and, considering the B-1 is based on a 16" Martin Jumbo body with a 34" scale, she's going to have one heluva time handling it unless she's built like Serena Williams ; I'm 5'11" with long arms/fingers, been playing bass since the early-70's, owned a guitarron-sized Guild B-50 for 30+ years, and quite frankly I wouldn't have one for myself. Since it's the basic sonic vibe of an upright he's/she's after - including the physical sensation associated with the lowest half-octave (you're not going to get that low-end growl and "whomp" from any ABG - the soundbox simply isn't large enough) - IME his/her needs would be far better served with an electric - preferably short-scale and preferably hollow/semi-hollow - which can be amplified to audibility in any setting...
Old 07-23-2017, 10:37 AM

I use to own one called Olympia OB3CE which was very loud. it was made by Tacoma. It was pretty loud and inexpensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments