The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 PM

I don't use pedals. (If the amp doesn't have it then I don't use).

Having said that, most of my favourite Fender amps have reverb and my Fender Mustang has delay also. (That's probably it for me other than some tremolo from time to time).
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
A tubescreamer and a Crybaby go a long way for me.
It's pretty much all I need. But I still have 10 pedals on the floor
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's pretty much all I need. But I still have 10 pedals on the floor
I recently took shipment of an Analogman modded Tubescreamer (TS-9, Silver Mod), and I've fell in love with the green machine all over again.

Last edited by jdmulli; 07-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 AM

My main amp is a Victoria Regal II which has a spectacular reverb and an excellent tremolo. It can be over-driven nicely at different volumes depending on the tubes you run in it, but I like the sound of my Boss Blues Driver and the flexibility to play dirty at any volume it gives so that would be my one pedal. If I add a second it would probably be my Boss CH-1 Chorus. Not much else I would really need.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-25-2017, 02:12 AM

Dyna-Comp compressor is the only pedal I love. Don't like playing without it!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

This is a tough one - so much depends as noted on what amp you're using and what sounds you're trying to achieve. In HS I only had an amp and one pedal (Roland JC50 and a Proco Rat) - but the amp had built in chorus and reverb. In college I had an amp and two pedals - a Peavey Renown 100 and an Ibanez TS10 and Boss CE2 - the amp had reverb and an OK overdrive channel although I often used the TS10 into the clean or into the gain with the amp set to a low gain). Later I had a Twin Reverb and the same two pedals which worked just fine. But that was driven by the kind of music I was playing at any of those times - lots of 80s/90s alternative - not a lot of high gain stuff - so the chorus was pretty key and an overdrive to get crunch was key.

Currently - hmmm it's a tougher question - one pedal it would probably still be an overdrive - in my case a T Rex Moller that has a gain and clean boost built into one pedal and allows me to blend wet and dry signals - works well with both my amps and gives me a lot of options.

If two:

T Rex Moller and
TC Electronic Flashback delay - the huge range of effects can get a reverb ish sound for the amp without reverb - slapback - tape and reverse and classic digital plus the TonePrint library
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 AM

It depends - if I'm using my old Duncan Tube 84-40 then I have reverb and distortion built in, in which case I'd add delay and probably Chorus.

If I'm using my little Vox AC4TV then it would be reverb and overdrive/distortion.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Here's mine desert island pedals: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lq38rzarm...68302.jpg?dl=0
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Last edited by aknow; 09-28-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I have two Fender flavored amps. A SF PR and a Tone King Meteor 20 II with very thick trem and reverb. If I was confined to two, and I could use a headstock tuner, I would have to go with a transparent OD and either a comp for outdoor gigs or an airy analog delay. Can we have 3? : )

Luckily I have the 7 pedal board with power supply so I can change the guitar tones over a performance and not give the listeners too much of a solitary tone. If I only had these two pedals it would be more labor intensive (mid performance tweaking guitar and amp knobs and PU selector). Unless I was playing just R & B.

I have done many inside gigs with no pedals, just to feel like the old days and change up the routine. It is harder but that can make your fingers give more vibrato, and other tricks, to cut through the mix.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:38 PM

Depends on what amp(s) I'm using.
My standby is a delay, (TC Elect) and a boost, Friedman BE-OD.

Favorite pedal of all time is the TC Electronics stereo chorus/pitch shifter, because it offers the best and most authentic stereo sound I've heard.
I've gone thru 3 of them, they always break, debating whether to get another.
Also use a Clyde wah, Roland Space Echo, and a Bella Epoque at times.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 AM

Single pedal, I would go with the Walrus Audio Mayflower Overdrive. In fact, I have played shows with just that pedal before. If I could add a second pedal, I would choose the Wicked Sisters Eve tremolo. It's a gorgeously subtle tremolo and a great way to add an unorthodox flavor to a simple sound. As we speak, I am actually putting together a small travel board as an alternative to my huge board. It will include these two pedals and then possibly a reverb, but I might opt for another overdrive - Perhaps my Mercyseat Effects Tree of Knowledge (or Life) I can't remember.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Follow-up

I started this thread in the midst of a crisis of minimalism. I was tired of tweaking and stomping pedals all night and gassing about them all day.

I bought a Volto and a Pedaltrain Nano and haven't looked back.

I've learned to use my guitar's volume and tone knobs more efficiently. I've also learned to have different pedals for different applications. For instance, I have a mostly classic rock gig this weekend. My board will be Korg Pitchblack tuner, Keeley Java Boost, and a Way Huge Aqua Puss Delay. I can get all the sounds I need with that setup, my Les Paul, and a Dr. Z.

I never really got down to just one (or two) pedal(s), but I fell like this experiment was a win for me and my guitar playing.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:12 AM

One pedal? That I own? Obviously if playing a electric gig it would be either my Ibanez TS mini or alternately my Behringer UM300 distortion. An acoustic gig would be my Digitech Multi-chorus.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay
It's THAT GOOD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars