The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Default Any one play or ever own the Lehmann curved back Guitars?

Have seen these for sale here and there and they look interesting.

Compared to a H&D or Lowden anyone?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

they are intriguing guitars, obviously there's the workmanship / design but as a Lowden player of many years the Lehmann have a lot to offer in the sound department from what I can glean on the net, great sound, dynamics and responsiveness OH and one of my fav guitarist seems to like them.

there's a couple at dream guitars -
http://www.dreamguitars.com/instrume...?sname=lehmann
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 AM

I played a David Anthony Reid guitar which also had a vault back, I think his instruments are probably as close to Lehmann's as is possible. It had no form of comparison for a H&D or a Lowden; like comparing a pineapple to a banana, all are fruit but that's as far as it gets.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 AM

I played one of Bernie Lehmann's vaulted back guitars at the Woodstock show in 2011. It was VERY similar to the one now on the Dream Guitars website but was not the same instrument. The workmanship is incredible - the vaulted back and ribbed sides are wonderfully done and the carved rosette is very beautiful and gives the guitar a timeless look. But the sound - now that was truly special. Pure, warm, and intimate but with good volume. Well balanced across and up the fingerboard. Melody lines always stood out effortlessly regardless of the register they were in - not just if in the treble register. That and it's overall timbre had a small dose of nylon classical which I thought really made this guitar shine and gave it a truly wonderful and unique voice. If I had brought 10000 dollars to the show in my pocket I would have gone home without it but would have had the Lehmann to replace it. To this day I think about that guitar and have more than once been tempted to try the one at Dream Guitars to see if it has the same magic I felt in the Woodstock guitar.

I have also played one of the David Anthony Reid vaultbacks. Again the workmanship and craftsmanship is awesome. Very beautiful instrument. Sonically, it was very different from the Lehmann. Not as loud or warm or full as the Lehmann. To my ear, it was brighter and thinner in tone - perhaps more what one might historically expect from this older design with elements of the lute in its ancestry. If memory serves me right ( an inherently dodgy assumption ) I don't believe that the Reid had as deep a body nor was it as large across the lower bout as the Lehmann which might explain at least some of the differences in sound. Also I cannot remember the specific tonewoods used. I would have to say that it did not tempt me.

Hope some of this makes some sense. Difficult to describe tone with any degree of accuracy.

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 AM

some info on the back design, the Vihuelas with vaulted (aconvada) and fluted (acanalada) type of back design is from construction techniques dating back to the 16th century - yeah thats 500 years.

more reading + pictures and wonderful work -

http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk/htm/cat12.htm

http://www.vihuelademano.com/index.html
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Thank You so much guys very helpfull.
And the links to the ancient instuments(new) is really something.
Love it
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM

Wow, never seen these before. Those models at dream guitars are among the most beautiful and unique guitars I've ever seen.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Sorry to resuscitate this thread but these Lehmanns are amazing.

Considering the cost of many of the fine luthier built instruments that frequent this page, I would also suggest that that builds starting at $8000 (last time I checked) also represents a pretty great value. The craftsmanship, quality of materials and experience in building instruments is amazing.

I don't own a Lehmann and am not sure I will ever be in a place financially that I will be able to slide a purchase past my wife, but I have played his work in his shop and it is always an inspiration.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM

Default lehmann model 2000

I was reading here to see what folks were saying about the 2000 and realized that the guitar from Dream Guitars some one mentioned is the one I bought a couple years ago. (Lehmann #415) I'll just say it is so beautiful and wonderful to play. It is the keeper. Holds tuning, balanced voice, light and strong. I will be a careful steward of a master builder's art. Call my descendants when I am gone .....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop