The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Default EQ to replace Boss GEB-7

Greetings, folks

My trusty Boss GEB-7 is starting to fade a bit. Footswitch is a little finicky, although it still works. I'm interested in any other options for graphic EQ. I use it on my pedal board with a Boss tuner, Sparkle Drive Mod, and Looper.

I'd like to stay with the graphic, and I've looked at the MXR 10 band, and Caline CP-24 (quite a bit cheaper). Any thoughts out there?

The MXR seems to be well-liked. It's 18v, though, and I have a Stymon Ojai power supply that has 5 500mA 9 volt outputs (I use them all). Can the MXR 10 band be used with 9v? Alternatively, if I free up one output (I occasionally use a Zoom A3 as a mic pre for vocal looping, but I can do without it), can I get 18v with a special cable?

I find the graphic easiest to use in various rooms. Although I can dial in a good sound with a parametric EQ, it takes me a lot longer. I'd welcome any other options, and, of course, could also stay with the Boss GEB-7.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM

I'm someone who uses a semi-parametric EQ. Much tighter control. Here's what I've got ... sorry for the size of the pic ...

Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM

I've read many glowing reviews of the Empress EQ. My experience with parametrics is limited to the parametric patch on the Zoom pedals, and semi-parametric EQ where the user doesn't have the option to choose the Q.

As I mentioned in my OP, it seems to take me awhile to dial in a good sound using the parametric eq. I'm much quicker "on the fly," trying to set up in a bar/restaurant, with a graphic eq. Perhpas it's just a learning curve, and one that's a little steeper for me?

I'd be interested in your gigging experience with that Empress.

Cheers,
M.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

...if you have not tried an Analogman modded ge-7 I highly recommend you do...it's a very noticeable step up from a stock ge-7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification