The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
What? Compared to Martin and Taylor discussions? I don't think so! The thing is, Chris, there's little love for Ovations on this forum and you'll probably get a better response on the Ovation Fan Club site. I'm of the same mind, by the way; the higher end Ovations, such as the Adamas, Custom Legend, and Elite, have some fascination for me. I love the design and only recently I played a superb 10 year old super shallow bodied Elite in a store near Liverpool.
Ha, the Ovation fanclub, really? They will tell you Ovations are the ONLY guitar to buy because they are tonally superior to all other guitars (which is not true be any stretch of the imagination) That having been said, if you like the guitar, the way it sounds and feels, go for it. Ovations are not my cup of tea (even the Adamas) but one thing I will say, is that they do sound superb plugged in.

On a side note, Ovation gets quite a bit of love here, Gibson seems to be the poopoo'd brand.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Vxt

I have a VXT which is Ovation's acoustic-electric with emphasis on the electric side. I don't care much for the acoustic sound (with the Fishman Aura on board I expected a better acoustic sound than it has) but the electric side sounds like a nice Gibson 335...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Ovations are great guitars...there's a very nice 2005 Collectors in the for sale section!

Last edited by nosajwp; 01-03-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM

I had an Ovation for many years and absolutely loved it plugged in. It was a super-shallow, and of course not the same guitar acosutically, but it was passable. It was also very comfortable whether sitting or standing, and that makes a huge difference on stage. You just can not perform your best onstage if your guitar is not comfortable, and big-bodied-dreads and jumbos just do not do it for me while I am standing.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

I now have a pair of T5s for stage use.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 AM

If you find one you like, go for it.

I obviously think they are VERY good guitars. But try to stick with the USA-made ones, the build quality is much, MUCH higher.

Ewalling, my shallow bowl Adamas is still available.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 AM

+1 on what patch said. But as usual, play as many as you can and buy the one that sings to you.

FYI: Elite-Ts are SWEET!
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass

Last edited by Auriemma; 01-04-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm new to this forum, but not new to discussion on guitars ...

The only problem with Ovation guitars is that most shops don't carry the really good USA-made models, so they get a bad rap from players who have picked up nothing but the cheap ones. I have played quite a few of the best Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons at the Lansing Elderly's store, (some in the +$10,000 range) and to tell you the truth, I haven't been any more impressed with them than with a good deep bowl solid-wood-top USA Ovation model. If you really compare apples to apples i.e., the high-end models of each manufacturer, you may be suprised with what you discover. My theory is that a great guitar will be a great guitar, regardless of what name is on it. To make a generally rash statement about the quality of "all ____s" without really knowing what you're talking about is ignorant.

If you are interested in an Ovation, do your research and try out the best ones.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Besides Takamine, I don't think anyone produces a better or more reliable acoustic/electric work guitar than Ovation for the price. If you go the used route, the old '70's and 80's preamps don't hold up to today standards but can be replaced with a new factory pre.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

stood out for you how? did you play them to get an idea of whether you liked the sound and feel? while i don't care for the neck or unplugged sound of the cheaper ovations, the al dimeola model had a great neck and beautiful sound plugged and unplugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post
I have seen many ovations in many diffrent shops, but the ovation acoustic electrics with the fiberglass back and sides really stood out to me. If anyone has any info on this particular type of guitars please write, because I am seriously considering purchasing one.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM

back in the 70's, the number of artists performing with plugged in Ovations was very high...they really had a good system. As has been said in this thread, the rest of the industry caught and passed them.
as a price point, if you can find a good condition accoustic/electric Ovation, they made a fine guitar on the east coast...don't know about the Asian stuff.
i had one...wish i'd kept it. john
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Al Di Meola has played an Ovation as one of his two or three primary instruments for virtually his entire public career, some 35+ years...but what does he know about tone?

;-)
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

yeah, but there's a HUGE difference between the al dimeola and the $300, $400 and $500 ovations. you sure don't see al playing an applause, celebrity or an iDea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZeus View Post
Al Di Meola has played an Ovation as one of his two or three primary instruments for virtually his entire public career, some 35+ years...but what does he know about tone?

;-)
Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM

I've played a couple that weren't bad but that doesn't mean I liked it or would buy one. A guy at church plays a really high-end one that sounds terrible plugged in. Maybe it sounds better unplugged. I don't care for the look of them either.
05 Larrivee D-03R K&k mini (rosewood/spruce)
Seagull ERMJ beater(cherry/cedar)
86 USA Peavey Falcon
04 USA Fender Tele 4-way DiMarzio Twang Kings
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM

Default Speaking of Ovation...

Speaking of Ovation, I was poking around ebay looking for a 12 strings and found this ad for one of John Denver's guitars: an Adamas. I've never heard that name before but it looked like an Ovation to me with a fancy headstock and bridge. I've googled a bit and from what my 'lil brain can figure out, that seems to be what it is. It's like Adamas is/was to Ovation the way Lexus is to Toyota.

Check it out while it's still posted. Not everyday you see a starting bid of $36,000 or a buy now price of $42,000. (And no, I'm not the one trying to sell the guitar, just sharing for fun).

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Denvers-Per...item19b9b2b915

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion