The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 03:09 PM

I've had way better service from FedEx Ground, and they seem to cost a little less too. Never an issue, however I may have just jinxed myself. But as someone mentioned above, any shipper can have a problem, the employees are only human.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I have a couple of instruments in the mail, one from California & one from Kentucky, bound for Chicago, selected USPS Priority after discussing with sellers on the phone. One reason was that I have had okay experiences with them in the past, especially tracking. Even if the routing seemed weird at times, at least I always knew where the item was.

But when I go to USPS tracking this time, what do I get? They were picked up, and then "In transit to next facility." For both of them. Ever since they were mailed. Oh, and they were both supposed to arrive yesterday, which I would have forgiven because stuff happens. But "In transit to next facility"? So, in other words, "It's in the mail."

That's not tracking. It's not what I paid for. Even worse that both shipments are late, now they're late and I don't know where they are.

I guess this streamlining of information, if that's the idea, saves them a few bucks. Probably enough to easily make up for the fact that I will never use USPS shipping again. Just thought the rest of you might like to know about this policy change of theirs.
I just had THE worst experience with USPS with a package..It was a sound card..2 day overnight..gets here and the tracking on it just goes poof..nothing. I went to my local facility and got downright abused over the course of 8 days--5 visits (all of them..took my number said they'd call me in an hour or so..nothing, zero follow up)..On last visit i lost it and wouldn't leave until super came out....miraculous that they found the package..this facility was chaos..you could see the mess was out of control...it was pretty disconcerting..Im doing the same thing.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM

By far my favorite shipper is the USPS.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I've had annoyances with all of them. Fortunately, I haven't lost anything yet.

D
Old 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM

I really can't stand USPS. However, there are sellers on here that use them all the time with very little problems.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I've had annoyances with all of them. Fortunately, I haven't lost anything yet. D
My experience as a buyer and seller has been that when things go right, each of the big three is exemplary. However, when there's a major storm or some sort of "delivery exception", they all pretty much suck in terms of telling you where the package is at any given time or when it will be delivered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't see where one is any better or worse than another. It's like a crap shoot as to how things play out. It seems that they all do real poorly at times and get it together at times but none of them are consistent...
True dat.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:50 PM

I’ve noticed the same thing lately regarding USPS tracking. They give generic info and estimated delivery date is never met.

I also suffer from a lazy rural carrier. I’ve seen her drive by multiple times in the rain or snow and she will mark the package as undeliverable because she doesn’t want to get out of her car and get wet.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM

others have crossed fedex and ups off their list. who does that leave? greyhound bus? or just don't buy or sell anything that needs shipping?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I've shipped dozens of guitars on all three. Love FedEx. UPS is not bad except they seem to only deliver to my house in the evening when I'm not there. USPS is just awful. Tracking is a joke. I once came home in the dead of winter of a 20-degree day with a guitar lying up against my garage door, bottom in the snow. I guess the driver just signed for me? Guess I should be happy the whole thing wasn't lying in the snow. Funny thing about that guitar - it STILL shows up in the tracking system as not having been delivered.

I once had a guitar come up delayed/missing in transport somewhere on FedEx. Called their 1-800 number and within minutes had a real person with no accent on the phone. He stayed on the phone for about a half hour making inquiries until he located the package and fixed the issue.

Conversely, I called on a missing USPS package once and after being on hold for a very long time (never did speak to anyone) got disconnected and had to start over. Finally was basically told (by recorded voice) that their 'operators (which apparently don't exist) will not have any additional information that is available online.'

Went online and filled out the missing shipment forms. I got back the standard no-reply acknowledgement email that they are looking into it. The package did eventually arrive (four months ago) and I'm still getting emails that the case is open and being actively investigated.

Top notch.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I sent an acoustic guitar last Friday afternoon (N.Calif) by USPS . 1/2 the cost of ups. Despite a stormy weekend it arrived in SoCal Monday mid day. No damage.
Of course the tracking never did work. My third time shipping guitars by USPS and never a glitch. Just lucky I guess.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I generally ship by FedEx or UPS, but I have shipped and received via USPS with no issues. The tracking is very poor with USPS, but aside from that they seem okay.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:51 PM

USPS has treated me well, but my carrier does a great job. UPS lost a 00-DB and left a D-28 (full-on Martin box) on the porch/leaning against my house w/out evening knocking/ringing the doorbell.

*Also what vendor/shipper doesn't require a signature on a new Martin? Looking @ you forum sponsor who otherwise did a great job. I'll own getting sloppy and neglecting to verify that, but really?

Last edited by anodyne; 03-22-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 PM

I bought a 1950 D-18 from Steve Swan a year ago. We are on opposite coasts. He told me he only uses USPS and the guitar arrived in great shape,on time, and btw the guitar is outstanding. Steve is a major vintage guitar dealer. I think it would be prudent to have secondary insurance from Heritage or a similar company that is experienced in dealing with guitars
Larry
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I don't see where one is any better or worse than another. It's like a crap shoot as to how things play out. It seems that they all do real poorly at times and get it together at times but none of them are consistent. I've used them all and know where their hubs and stores are. Now that's a testament as to how many guitars I've bought and sold.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM

I've had similar experiences with USPS lately, particularly with non-standard sized boxes. The last few guitar necks I've sent or received in mailing tubes or those USPS Priority boxes with a triangular cross-section had very spotty tracking. My guess is that the automated scanning machines struggle with those.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion