The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I am mostly playing blues, folk, and modern music and my attack is not overly aggressive.
Given this info, I'd look for light weight and short scale. I played some Eastman instruments at Wintergrass this year, and they may make something that would be a keeper for you.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I love the 00 size, most of my guitars are 00s. Here's my personal opinion about deep bodies, for me they defeat the purpose of a small bodied guitar; the balanced tonality and better ergonomics w/ too much bottom and too much reach (more extension of your shoulder).

From the guitars you've listed you seem to be on the right track. For the $$$s you want to spend, I personally would stick w/ domestically built guitars (assuming you're in the USA). I'd suggest buying the guitar that thrills you rather than the specs or pictures, in other words travel to brick and mortar dealers and play all the 00s you can find.

Couple folks have mentioned Waterloos, happens to be what i play mostly, also have a Martin 00-15m LAGS custom. You should play a WL-12, see what you think, but they are nothing like a Martin, it's not good or bad, just different. And fun. The new reimagined Martin 00s also sound interesting (on paper).
Old 03-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
[Waterloo WL12] is an option if you can accept the skinny neck (only 1 & 3/4" nut, but on a good Martin style 00 the nut width should be 1 & 7/8." The ideal option (IMHO) would be a Collings 001 (1 & 13/16" nut).

The OP's nut width preference has been established:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMan1990 View Post
I would like something with a 1 3/4 nut

Last edited by Guest 728; 03-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Thank you for all your replies so far. I heard a couple people mention Huss and Dalton. Is there a specific model you were speaking of? It looks as if the 00-SP is rosewood while I would prefer hog. Also were you speaking of in my price range new or used? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Just buy the SC 1929 00 and be done with it. Stellar guitar!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Huss & Dalton's 00 is about as sweet a 12-fret as I've ever encountered. Available in mahogany or rosewood as a standard model or in other woods from time to time. It's also available as the 00 SP with a slotted peghead and pyramid bridge, if you like those features.

I prefer 14 frets for playing up the neck but I've hung on to my H&D 00 because it's a really remarkable guitar with outstanding tone and playability.

Another option to consider is a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe. This is another very sweet 00-sized guitar. Like the H&D, it's remarkably responsive and has a much bigger sound than its size would indicate.

Both of the above are truly exceptional guitars that you really should try before settling on anything else. Both are a joy to play and sound very nice, with a surprising amount of bass for such small guitars. They're also well within your budget.
Ditto what Bob has said here! I too own a Huss & Dalton Custom 00 in IR and it has such great projection. balance and tone for a 12 fret instrument, it's unbelievable. Obviously with Huss & Dalton, we're talking about a guitar that may cost you around $2500 to $4000 used even. I know Kerbie owns an all Hog version that's really fine too!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Here's my H&D being played by me just a few days ago. I added the pick guard. Mine is a 2008 and I payed $2600 used in 2016.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Have you considered going old school?

The absolute best-sounding 00 12-fretter I have ever heard was an all-mahogany 1931 Gibson L-0.

Light as a feather, and way louder than it had a right to be.

$3,500 should get you a decent prewar player.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Another less expensive option is the Taylor 322 12 fret ... Mahogany top, Blackwood back and sides, Taylor's Grand Concert body (a bit larger than a 00, but close) ... clear, loud, does not have any "overly bright" sound, beautiful balanced tone. If you haven't heard one, try one out ... you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM

If you haven't already you should play a few guitars with either cedar or redwood tops.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Default 0012

One of the best is Collings.
Some have called them pianos!
IMHO
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I am also primarily a finger picker and play without finger picks. Have been looking seriously for a small 12 fret.

played a couple of bedell’s yesterday and was very impressed. Compared favorably tone wise with the Huss and dalton As well as similar sized martins I compared them to directly. I was particularly impressed with the neck profile and playability. A bit slimmer and really comfortable compared to my hd 28. See if you can play their 1964 parlor or their coffee house parlor.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM

You might want to try to get this beauty for about the equivalent of $1,900.00 USD.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...538817375.html
Old 03-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMan1990 View Post
Thank you for all your replies so far. I heard a couple people mention Huss and Dalton. Is there a specific model you were speaking of? It looks as if the 00-SP is rosewood while I would prefer hog. Also were you speaking of in my price range new or used? Thanks.
Huss & Dalton 00's are available in either roewood or mahogany. I've had both and still have the mahogany (although the rosewood was very sweet, too). The 00-SP is typically more expensive than the standard 00 and the only difference is the slotted headstock and pyramid bridge on the SP.

Not sure of prices but you should be able to find a used one well within your price range, especially a mahogany standard.

A quick search turned up this one, listed as mint, for $3200. I suspect there are more out there but this is just what turned up first.

https://reverb.com/item/3937175-huss...EALw_wcB&pla=1
Old 03-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I love the 00 size, most of my guitars are 00s. Here's my personal opinion about deep bodies, for me they defeat the purpose of a small bodied guitar; the balanced tonality and better ergonomics w/ too much bottom and too much reach (more extension of your shoulder).

From the guitars you've listed you seem to be on the right track. For the $$$s you want to spend, I personally would stick w/ domestically built guitars (assuming you're in the USA). I'd suggest buying the guitar that thrills you rather than the specs or pictures, in other words travel to brick and mortar dealers and play all the 00s you can find.

Couple folks have mentioned Waterloos, happens to be what i play mostly, also have a Martin 00-15m LAGS custom. You should play a WL-12, see what you think, but they are nothing like a Martin, it's not good or bad, just different. And fun. The new reimagined Martin 00s also sound interesting (on paper).
Agree. Find something comfortable above all, and for fingerpicking you may prefer quick and balanced response rather than notes lost in cavernous bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion