The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 PM

Default Martin X Series Guitars

Living in the high desert and with very low humidity levels just around the corner, I've been looking at Martin's small body X series guitars so i could just leave them out around the house and not have to worry about humidity levels. To my dismay just about every X series guitars come equipped with Fishman Sonitone electronics. For what i'm going to use them for and their cost it's really not necessary for me to have electronics (i have soundhole pickups if i ever needed to use a pickup).

I've played a 02MAE and a 00LX1AE and they fit my needs very well. Would you still buy one and either pull out the electronics or just leave them in? I'm kinda leaning towards the 00L and how they sound isn't a large factor in my decision.
Thanks, Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM

There's an LX-1 on Craigslist near you right now with no electronics.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

The 00l has a spruce top. So leaving it out in low humidity might still leave you with a cracked guitar top.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
In fact there are three of them.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 PM

You won't gain anything by removing them so I would just leave them in.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Thanks for the heads up but i'm really looking for a longer scale guitar, 24.9 or 25.4 which both of the models mentioned before have. I find it interesting that these X series models are basically entry level or first time player guitars and they come with electronics. I guess thru market research that is what sells.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 AM

I have had a 000CX1AE for more than 10 years without any issue. I jagree with you on the electronics. I don't want them but just leave the electronics in. Someone might want them if you decide to sell later.

FWIW, my solid spruce top is left out 24/7/365, most of the time without a wet humidifier. (Because I am not there to change it and no one else remembers) No cracks, and the tone is very consistently Martin. I don't really recommend it, though. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 AM

I have a 0001xAE. Even though you stated the tone etc. isn't important, I believe this has Martin/quality tone at it's used price point. I love mine for the $350 I paid used. At $600 new, I think I could do better. Now onto humidity issues. I've not had acouticwoody's maintenance free experience. I live in the Midwest. After the 1st cold winter of me leaving it out of the case the guitar developed buzzing, especially up the neck. All I did to remedy was keep it stored in a case with self made case humidifier and a sound hole humidifier. The buzz went away after a couple weeks. That was a couple years ago and I haven't had the problem since. I keep it in case with 1 sound hole humidifier now. On the contrary my Seagull with Lam. Sides stays out with only a sound hole humidifier that occasionally dries out and I have no problems with it. While I'm no guitar expert, I wonder if the Martin's finickyness is due to the innovative materials used. I wonder if the spruce top naturally changed with climate, but the HPL, and stratabond material didn't. Having said, I still love the guitar and don't mind those materials.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Dloz i don't mind the materials used either as i owned a DX1AE a long time ago it seems and sold it only because i discovered the dreadnought shape isn't comfortable to me.
My thinking on this is to have a guitar that can stand the climate here without the humidity maintenance that all wood guitars must have and a so called beater to withstand everyday playing and taking it outdoors with no worries on what happens to the guitar.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-24-2018, 03:36 PM

As I've stated above, I think the X series are susceptible to climate. I've not been able to leave mine out. Maybe the all HPL bodies are more sustainable to climate changes. I think the solid spruce tops still dry out and buzz
Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloz View Post
As I've stated above, I think the X series are susceptible to climate. I've not been able to leave mine out. Maybe the all HPL bodies are more sustainable to climate changes. I think the solid spruce tops still dry out and buzz
Same here. My DX1AE is effected by humidity more than my other acoustics. I do have my action set pretty low for a dread, but I get string buzzing pretty easliy with the humidity swings if left out of the case.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM

I would definitely keep the electronics in, even if you don't use it. Better for resale value.
Curious about your opinion on the sound quality differences between the 0 and the 00. I haven't been able to try the 0, but I did try the 00 and it sounded good for what it was.
If you really want carefree, how about a carbon fiber guitar? Although they will be more expensive.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I seen quite few Martin X's on Craigslist with cracks. They come from something. What about one of the all HPL models?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM

I like my DCX1E. Picked it up in Florida off CL. Great low action and the neck feels almost as good as my HD28. Doesn't sound quite as good, but close. Good workhorse guitar! I keep a damp sponge in a ziploc baggie (with holes) in mine and have had no problems with it so far through a couple of winters in my dry electric heat. Not a small guitar, but the X series seems fine to me.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It would be nice to be able to leave the HPL out all the time and just pick it up and play. All my other guitars are always kept in the cases and sometimes it gets old taking them out for say half hour then back in they go.
Gonna have to rethink the HPL idea.

I have played a Rainsong Concert size and yes all carbon fiber guitars are the real
solution to living in a area where the humidity can drop 40-60% in a day. Considering the cost of these guitars i'm gonna have to wait awhile.
Thanks
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion