The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Man, that's tough.
Not that it matters or helps, but my guitars always come with me out of the car into the house no matter what time of year.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM

What I see in the OP second photo, is a rather distinct hard hit to the lower bout, right where the crack starts. My guess the crack was there for awhile.

Ed
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
What I see in the OP second photo, is a rather distinct hard hit to the lower bout, right where the crack starts. My guess the crack was there for awhile.

Ed
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
What is pictured here?

The huge pics earlier in the thread are showing a big crack wandering the full length of the top.

The pic at the end, no crack.

Is the last pic the guitar before? Or after rehumidification?

Looks a lot better than my old D18, which has two repaired cracks, and sounds wonderful.
The pic of the entire guitar is before the damage, just wanted to show the whole instrument.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM

So the pics are quite large, and does show that the crack does not follow the grain line, I am going to take a pic inside the body to see if the crack is visible on the inside. The pics do make it look worse, than I think it is. If it is just a finish crack will it still need to be repaired?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Bill Whitsett in Lowell, MA is great. Bill can fix almost anything. Does extremely clean work and will give excellent advice and ideas.

Bill repaired a similar crack for me about 10 years ago on a Larrivee Parlor. Did fantastic work.

TJ Thompson near Concord, MA is outstanding (His primary focus is Martin repair and restoration). Not sure what he does/will do for Breedlove stuff.

Both of these guys are also extremely nice guys with years of experience, and if you catch them when they're not up to their eyeballs in work, they love to chat and share stories.

I recommend them both without reservation.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post

Ed
Hi Ed,

If the ding has been there quite a while, I would have noticed it the crack was there previous, the cold dry weather did this, the ding may have helped it though...
Old 03-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZK123 View Post
Bill Whitsett in Lowell, MA is great. Bill can fix almost anything. Does extremely clean work and will give excellent advice and ideas.

Bill repaired a similar crack for me about 10 years ago on a Larrivee Parlor. Did fantastic work.

TJ Thompson near Concord, MA is outstanding (His primary focus is Martin repair and restoration). Not sure what he does/will do for Breedlove stuff.

Both of these guys are also extremely nice guys with years of experience, and if you catch them when they're not up to their eyeballs in work, they love to chat and share stories.

I recommend them both without reservation.
Thanks, I will reach out, and let you guys know the outcome
Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Should I loosen/remove the strings? I am going to get a pic inside tonight.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantin View Post
There is a two part video by Bob Taylor on a guitar with seriously cracked back and top that he just humidified over a period of time and then some glue of the top.

Part 1 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8tELj43RE
Thanks I just ordered a Dampit, I'll get the process going before the repair
Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM

http://www.mouradianguitar.com/ these guys have a great reputation in the Boston area and have done work for me.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Default TJ Thompson

I contacted TJ Thompson, at first he said no, then he e-mailed me back and said he would take a look. Unfortunately the Breedlove Fusion used JDL truss system which will make things a bit more difficult for him. He told me to put a wet sponge in a bowl inside the soundhole, and wrap it up in a bag the night before I bring it to him. He sells tools for this type of repair and is featured Dan E. using them on his Stew Mac videos. Thanks for the replies
Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I would call Breedlove, definitely! They have some of the best customer service in the business.

Something like that I would absolutely get a true identification on the problem... if it's a finish crack, that's one thing... and you could get it repaired at your leisure. If it is a crack in the wood, I'd do the math and see if it would be worth it to send it to Breedlove in Bend, Oregon.

The Fusion is a nice guitar, right? Not one of the imports, if memory serves. Seems it would be worth having the builders do the work... if it's a newer urethane finish, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax for the small tech to deal with... even a great tech (I assume Thompson is one) may not have the know-how to repair a urethane finish.

Doesn't seem to me that leaving it in the car over night was the real issue... I've had my handmade guitars reach freezing temps and then back to warmer without much issue, if any... two of them are lacquer finishes and didn't even get any checking from the cold. The reason I say this is, if it's urethane, then the problem may be in the finish of the guitar since it was new... another reason to call Breedlove about it; they're honest and would tell you if they had a run of guitars with the same problem.

Good luck! Hope it can be fixed, and I hope it's a finish crack. Sure, overnight in freezing temperatures is not something that we plan on doing, but that crack seems extreme to me (unless you warmed it up too fast).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM

I fear you have a wood crack.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 AM

I forgot to mention I took a look inside with my scope, and it is indeed a crack in the top. This 2001 model has a graduated top (thinner on the bass side and thicker on the treble side), and a JDL bridge truss system designed to enhance bass and mid range response by transferring the natural string-pull energy from the bridge to the tail block and sides, thereby relaxing the top. This was built and signed by Steve Henderson and 1 of 52 made that year. I am sure the guitar was dry, freezing temps, and these other factors most likely why it cracked. TJ told me not to get my hopes up, but he is local to me (less than an hour drive), so if he can't help I will consider sending it across the country for repair at Breedlove, shipping will certainly not be cheap...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion