The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM

Default Rainsong Vibrating on the low E

On occasion, the wire from the Fishman Prefix in my H DR1000 will sympathize into vibrating while playing in the key of E. I thought I had fixed it but it rears it's sympathetic head on occasion and I need a permanent fix.
I'm thinking bedding it in hot-melt all the way up tight in the inside corner where its currently positioned next time the strings are changed.
Does anyone see that being an issue? ; or perhaps someone has already crossed this stream and knows the good footing.

I know, too many corny analogies, but it's a weird thing writers do.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 AM

The idea of hot melt in a guitar does not feel right. I've had similar problems with different pickups in the past and found a little adhesive felt either wrapped around the wire or placed in the offending spot did the trick and was completely reversible. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Most all internal pickups come with adhesive ties that are stuck to the inside body of your guitar and wrapped around wires to keep them under control. Just need to tie those wires down.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-01-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The idea of hot melt in a guitar does not feel right. I've had similar problems with different pickups in the past and found a little adhesive felt either wrapped around the wire or placed in the offending spot did the trick and was completely reversible. Jon
I do agree Hot melt glue doesn't sound proper with a guitar, but CF guitars do offer options because of their resistance to heat and cold. That was my thinking in suggesting that. I would not consider something like that with my Talyor or Martin, anymore than leaving the wood axes in my vehicle in winter cold or summer heat. Adhesive felt or something of that ilk is worth a try. Thank you Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Most all internal pickups come with adhesive ties that are stuck to the inside body of your guitar and wrapped around wires to keep them under control. Just need to tie those wires down.
That was what I did on the original attempt. I'll give that another try. I hate doing something twice that didn't work the first try.
I don't think the Hot melt would stay hot enough on the cooler surface to cause any problems for CFglass hybrids. But I'll exercise caution and try the re-positioning again. Thanx Steve
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Finger Stylish; 03-01-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM

I would not use hot melt glue - that seems too permanent, just in case a wire fails or if you someday want to swap out the pickup. I would take some foam insulation (like used for small piping) and embed the wire in that, then either double-stick tape it to the inside surface of the guitar, or use a big enough block of foam (or several blocks) to have it hold itself in place.

BTW, my WS-1000 does the same thing, but it seems to be the pre-amp housing instead of the wires. If I open the pre-amp door, the buzz goes away. I presume you've already checked all the other usual suspects - loose tuner nuts or bushings, clip-on tuner buttons vibrating, etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 PM

I fixed a buzzing barn door on a RainSong by putting a little bit of electrical tape around the bezel where it contacted the preamp housing. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 PM

While trying to address similar issues, I pressed down on the sides next to the barn door frame. I was surprised - the right side ( by the guitar top) was solid, but the left side (guitar back) was not. It was easily depressed, dipping noticeably under fairly slight pressure. I don't know why it would be different, as the assembly appears to be centered. Has anyone else noticed this on their guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber